Max Coupler

Flyfishjeep

Adventurer
I have driven 1/4 and 1/2 ton trailers all over the state and the Rubicon trail 3-4 times a summer for many years. A ball hitch is great on highways but would never work on that trail. I used pintle hitches for years, and the articulate really well, but do tend to clang and push/pull bang at times when really articulating up and down. I bought a Max a few years ago and swear by them now. Ultra quiet, super articulating, and solid. They have made many improvements over the last few years and hooking them up is just as fast as a ball hitch now. Great product and I have had zero failures.

mobydick 11

I have driven 1/4 and 1/2 ton trailers all over the state and the Rubicon trail 3-4 times a summer for many years. A ball hitch is great on highways but would never work on that trail. I used pintle hitches for years, and the articulate really well, but do tend to clang and push/pull bang at times when really articulating up and down. I bought a Max a few years ago and swear by them now. Ultra quiet, super articulating, and solid. They have made many improvements over the last few years and hooking them up is just as fast as a ball hitch now. Great product and I have had zero failures.
It is great to hear from someone with real experience with them . My comments are mostly made by feeling it and looking at the construction. I mean it is made from 3/8 plate steel and solid 2 inch bar stock, that is why I keep saying something else will break first,not the hitch . I will be leaving for EXPO East soon so 11 hrs of towing with it ,but again mostly highways with lots of hills . The trailer will have a pretty good load this time, so a bit more experience with it .

PacificNorthWestJeeper

Blissfully Lost
Used my max coupler for the first time this past week on a trip.
Put in 800+ miles, no issues, worked great. Even still looks new...
Greased it real well before the trip...
Max1.jpgMax2.jpgMax3.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: WVI

mobydick 11

Used my max coupler for the first time this past week on a trip.
Put in 800+ miles, no issues, worked great. Even still looks new...
Greased it real well before the trip...
View attachment 544500View attachment 544501View attachment 544502
That is Great , I did about 1,800 kilometers this past weekend . Again not doing what it is meant for , but the max hitch is a big improvement over a ball . they are so tight fitting that there is no slap or noise what so ever .

Shooter235

I have 4700 miles of off road use on my max coupler. Over 8K miles total. It has kept my trailer attached thru some trails a trailer probably should not go. No issues so far. I do grease and clean it regularly. Very happy with it.

gspitale

Resurrecting an old thread to ask a follow up question and to add my experience with the max coupler. I tow a UEV 490 with the max coupler and am very impressed by the articulation and general performance on road.

My question: does anyone know if there is an anti sway system that is compatible with the max coupler?

mobydick 11

Resurrecting an old thread to ask a follow up question and to add my experience with the max coupler. I tow a UEV 490 with the max coupler and am very impressed by the articulation and general performance on road.

My question: does anyone know if there is an anti sway system that is compatible with the max coupler?
My max has performed perfectly, but not real heavy duty abuse . It is easy to hitch up and I find a lot of the time I just pull the receiver pin and slide the hole thing out . If I have any complaint, its that I get grease on my pants when I rub against it .

gspitale

Yea, I'm happy with the max coupler. My question is whether or not anyone knows of an anti sway system that can be used in conjunction with the max coupler?

All the anti sway systems I have seen rely on the ball shank to connect the anti sway system.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
While the specific purpose of the Max Coupler is not to cause or allow sway, it still seems at odds with the point of the coupler to restrict movement and add anti-sway. I’m guessing you won’t find something specifically designed to work with the max coupler and will probably have to build something custom or go after other causes of trailer sway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne