Thoughts on 2010 4runner trail edition?

Bug out 1

So im currently in search of a Rubicon LJ (im a jeep man) but my wife has decided to go back to a 4runner from her Acura. She had a 2007 model that she loved but sold it 5 years ago to get her current Acura. She now wants to get back into a 4runner and has found 2010 trail edition with 109K miles. I know very little about these. I can tell you everything about jeeps and there history, but not 4runners. Is there anything I should be looking for (issues?) This would be our main camping and traveling rig since I have not found an LJ yet and even when I do Im sure the 4runner will get better gas mileage and be more comfortable for our family of 3. We will use it for moderate to light offloading. Mainly unimproved roads. Possibly towing a 18' center console next summer.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I wanted a trail edition for so long. They're great and look fantastic...better than the new ones.

I always felt they were a little under powered tho. Not sure of too many issues!

RedRunner87

So im currently in search of a Rubicon LJ (im a jeep man) but my wife has decided to go back to a 4runner from her Acura. She had a 2007 model that she loved but sold it 5 years ago to get her current Acura. She now wants to get back into a 4runner and has found 2010 trail edition with 109K miles. I know very little about these. I can tell you everything about jeeps and there history, but not 4runners. Is there anything I should be looking for (issues?) This would be our main camping and traveling rig since I have not found an LJ yet and even when I do Im sure the 4runner will get better gas mileage and be more comfortable for our family of 3. We will use it for moderate to light offloading. Mainly unimproved roads. Possibly towing a 18' center console next summer.

I love the OG Trail Editions! I would trade my 16(post-facelift) SR5 in for an OG 5th Gen Trail. The 4.0 and 5-speed are pretty bullet proof. I have heard of 5th gens running up and over 200K miles on them without any major fixes. I am at 85K on my 16' SR5 and no major repairs at all.

The 4.0 is a little but under-powered once you start modding them. I am all stock and have no issues running 75-80mph. Gas mileage will take a hit once you start lifting, bigger tires and armor.

Bug out 1

Im not very verse on 4runners, but isn't the 2010 same as the 2018 or is there major differences? and if different im guessing the 2010 is 5th gen and the newest is 6th gen?
Not that it matters in my wife's decision to purchase but I though early to mid 80's was 1st gen (1st with solid axle and removable roof, then changed to IFS, still removable roof but both called 1st gen) 2nd gen did away with removable roof and ran to early 90's. 3rd gen added a more round body lines and large fender flares, 4th gen was early 2000's looked like a space ship, and 5th gen is 2010 to current? Just curious.

RedRunner87

Im not very verse on 4runners, but isn't the 2010 same as the 2018 or is there major differences? and if different im guessing the 2010 is 5th gen and the newest is 6th gen?
Not that it matters in my wife's decision to purchase but I though early to mid 80's was 1st gen (1st with solid axle and removable roof, then changed to IFS, still removable roof but both called 1st gen) 2nd gen did away with removable roof and ran to early 90's. 3rd gen added a more round body lines and large fender flares, 4th gen was early 2000's looked like a space ship, and 5th gen is 2010 to current? Just curious.

2010 to Present is all 5th Gens. 2014 received a "refresh", basically new styling of the front and rear end. The 2003 to Present are basically the same drivetrain, all have the 4.0/5-speed auto.

1st Gen: 1985-1989 Removable Top and 2 doors. Solid Axle was only in 1985, IFS started in 1986
2nd Gen: 1990-1995 4 Doors and 3.Slow
3rd Gen: 1996-2002 Introduced the E-locker and 3.4L
4th Gen: 2003-2009 4.0 V6 or 4.7 V8. V8 had full time 4WD
5th Gen 2010-Present Return of the E-locker(Trail/TRD Off-road and TRD Pro only) but did away with the V8.

I have owned a 1st, 3rd and presently a 5th Gen.

Reactions: bkg

kweetech

Observer
Just as I was about to post the same thing, saw this thread. :cool:
I too am wondering about any standout type issues in the 2010-2013 4runner Trail. Looking at something in that 80-120k range for mileage. Well versed in the 4th gen's (loved my 2008 and should have never sold) and had a mint 3rd gen for awhile. Really thinking of something a bit newer this go round, though may also hunt for a minty 4th gen.

RedRunner87

Just as I was about to post the same thing, saw this thread. :cool:
I too am wondering about any standout type issues in the 2010-2013 4runner Trail. Looking at something in that 80-120k range for mileage. Well versed in the 4th gen's (loved my 2008 and should have never sold) and had a mint 3rd gen for awhile. Really thinking of something a bit newer this go round, though may also hunt for a minty 4th gen.

I can't think of anything major for the 5th gens. The drivetrain is the exact same for the 4th Gens as the 5th Gens.

RedRunner87

Excluding the V8 models ;)

Yes there is that. I wish they kept the V8(maybe 4.6 like the GX460) in the 5th Gens. Would be so nice on the trails or when you put a lift on them. The 4.0 isn't terrible but I am all stock. It climbs hills, sometimes I just lock out 5th gear. However the hills with wind are an absolute nightmare with the 4.0. We will see how it does when I get install the 255's.

JLee

Adventurer
Yes there is that. I wish they kept the V8(maybe 4.6 like the GX460) in the 5th Gens. Would be so nice on the trails or when you put a lift on them. The 4.0 isn't terrible but I am all stock. It climbs hills, sometimes I just lock out 5th gear. However the hills with wind are an absolute nightmare with the 4.0. We will see how it does when I get install the 255's.

Yeah, the V8 is nice to have. I have 255/75's and winch/armor on my GX470 and it's perfectly happy.

kweetech

Observer
So if you search 2010-2013 4runners, you see these Trail edition looking models, but they have a slightly different bumper setup and they are all originally from Canada. Anyone have any insight into these? Here's one on Autotrader-> 2011 4runner They all have those wheels, and body color bumpers, rather than textured plastic...but not the big bumpers etc of the sr5's.
ed425336954c494d804a1e65c14b2a85.jpg

bkg

Explorer
So if you search 2010-2013 4runners, you see these Trail edition looking models, but they have a slightly different bumper setup and they are all originally from Canada. Anyone have any insight into these? Here's one on Autotrader-> 2011 4runner They all have those wheels, and body color bumpers, rather than textured plastic...but not the big bumpers etc of the sr5's.

That's not a TE...

topofpalomar

Enthusiast
We had a 2001 4 Runner and then got a new 2006 4-Runner (totaled in head-on collision with an un-insured driver). We bought our current 2010 Trail Edition brand new on the last day of '09. It has over 160,000 miles on it and runs as strong as it did brand new. Totally stock. We really liked the V-8 in the '06 but the V-6 in the 2010 is fine. It's my wife's ride and we would buy another 4-Runner in a heart-beat.

Cliff

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke