DIY Expedition Vehicle Build VIDEO

zoomad75

K5 Camper guy
I've enjoyed the build so far. I like seeing how others take on certain challenges and work around them.

germk10

Love the build so far. I really want to do something like this sometime. Can't wait to see the rest of the build

AndrewMuse

PART 4 is LIVE!
On this episode we start to install our cabinets, we install our Dometic Fantastic Fans and Penguin II AC unit, then we close up the box before cutting out the pass through to stay true to the Earth Roamer type vehicle. The dogs decide to roll in the mud before finishing the fiberglass. Finally we mount the camper to the truck!

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Is not this rig kind of too big?

Everyone has different needs and everyone does different things.

Not everyone is rock crawling in Moab.

Having done Month+ trips myself, this isnt even remotely too big for the type of traveling i like to do, in fact, its a little small.

Last edited:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
For traveling weeks or months what would you suggest ? Some people want to stand up, have a real shower and bathroom and be able to cook inside. In the U.S. you have to go out of your way to go off road, most travel is either paved roads or graded dirt roads. There is no magical rubicon trail that goes on for hundreds of miles.

Exactly... I did a 5 week trip up in Alaska/Canada this September in my Tundra and FWC. Was solo and it was a bit cramped for that long of a trip.

Also, crossed paths with a ton of folks in Tacoma’s and 4Runners that would comment along the lines of “I need something like that next time I do this, we definitely need more space”

Again, everyone has different needs...

If you’re an average sized human and travel for 3-4 days at a time, could definitely get away with smaller.

I’m 6’4” 285lbs and don’t even fit in a new Tacoma, no idea how folks travel in those and enjoy it.

Folks commenting this rig is too big are also the “that won’t fit where I go” (common phrase) folks.

Same folks probably don’t hit the road for a month+ at a time :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior