XPCamper goes out of business, files for bankruptcy?

tdferrero

It doesn't seem like it from my perspective. For 25 years before Obamacare I bought my own insurance on the open market. $10k deductible (per illness/injury not per year), and I pay 20% after that. The premium had climbed to $93/mo before Obamacare. Never used it. After Obamacare the cheapest I can get is >$600/mo, $7k deductible (per year) and that is close to the cap. Obamacare is definitely better, but not >6x better. I quit buying insurance; been paying the penalty but that ends this year. I could afford it, but it's ridiculous. I'll go to Mexico if I really need something; I've been doing that for dental for years.

30% of full time (40+ hrs/wk) workers in the US make <$26k/yr or $13/hr. https://dqydj.com/income-percentile-calculator/

They do manage to live on it. Heck, I've lived on a lot less. But they aren't living in style. Definitely not compared to what low-skilled work paid 40 years ago.

To put it in a bit of perspective; I'm working fulltime (40+/week) making $15/hr - the best paying job outside of a factory I could find within 50 miles of our house. That's $1.20/hr higher than the statistical livable wage for my county. After taxes I take home $26,000 a year which, in South Carolina, is good money. The flip side to that, I have two degrees, a list of EPA/OSHA certs the length of my arm, military experience, and a myriad of other qualifications, yet the only reason I'm able to pay all my bills, loan, mortgage, etc. is because my significant other owns her own business and makes a good deal more than I.

Here in the Seattle area, we have a shortage of workers of all skill levels. Part of the problem is that the cost of living is out of control but I feel like there is more going on than that. My landscaper said he can't expand his business anymore because he can't find people. He told me he was offering $18/hr to run a weedeater... he couldn't get anyone. The people he was making offers to said that the going rate was $21/hr! I think every business in my little town has a help wanted sign in the window.

utherjorge

Observer
Stories like this make me feel great about retiring: I'll be able to find any work I want. However, cost of living where I am is awesome. My house was less than $48K, and while it was a fixer-upper, it wasn't ridiculous. In my region you can find something decent for $50k all day...and stories of the cost of living in places like CA and WA blow my mind. I can't help but wonder if some of these businesses relocating to cheaper places would help.

Collectively rent an office building in CO to serve as a base for cool overlanding pix...and make your product where it's cheaper.

nsbohn

Does anyone have contact info for Marc? I'm nursing a startup of my own, and would love to have a conversation with him. Pass my email and phone number along please... nsbohn@gmail.com 813-895-1717

I'm too old to figure out how to quote someone's post, but I think BritKLR is right on the money about having a discussion thread that could help an overland business recognize and solve business model/financial problems. I think there should be classes and forums at Overland Expo on the topic. I'd bet about 50% of the businesses that show there have gone under by the next year. Even if their product was viable.
Relating that to this thread, I'm not sure Marc would have taken advantage of any help available. He's a proud guy and I think he felt he could handle the business. I feel terrible for the customers who lost money in the bankruptcy. If I were in their shoes I too would likely feel like Marc was a criminal who intentionally defrauded me. But having gotten to know Marc and the business a bit I don't believe that to be the case. I don't believe he ever felt, up to the last day in business, that he wouldn't pull it out and eventually fulfill all orders and turn a profit again. I think if he had had access to, and taken advantage of, good business advice early on his business would be thriving.
With that in mind I expect to see BritKLR and others at the Overland Business Mistakes (Don't Let Your Cool Crap Put You in the Crapper) forum in Flagstaff. Between Martin, Mario, Jon and a bunch of others you guys would have a wealth of knowledge, solutions, and don't-do-what-we-did tips.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
I think if he had had access to, and taken advantage of, good business advice early on his business would be thriving. With that in mind I expect to see BritKLR and others at the Overland Business Mistakes (Don't Let Your Cool Crap Put You in the Crapper) forum in Flagstaff. Between Martin, Mario, Jon and a bunch of others you guys would have a wealth of knowledge, solutions, and don't-do-what-we-did tips.

An Example of This Need:
I have an absolutely great outdoor product idea, conceived and designed based on my many years of outdoor adventuring. I’m a pretty competently self trained tool guy. So I feel I really have product design and manufacturing strategy dialed in.

But here’s why some say that my great product idea business will still likely fail:

I have no experience with production operations management...inventory control, machine leasing or purchasing, just in time manufacturing, rental of facilities, shipping or transportation strategies, etc.
I have no experience with financial management....cash flow mgt, invoice management, billing and collections, payroll and taxes, product pricing, etc.
I have no experience with promotional strategy management or marketing or advertising....how to make my product visible to potential buyers or how to track market dollar effectiveness , etc.
I have no experience with personnel management....compensation, hiring, promoting, firing, etc.
I have no experience with regulatory issue management.

I cannot afford, as a financially strapped start up, to pay other professionals for this badly needed advice and assistance. I don’t have any friends or family from which to get help or mentoring for these other issues.

But damn, it....I have a great concept, a great sample product (and a really cool name for my company), and after all, aren’t these last three really the only truly important things needed for me to be a success?

(this is an example of why so many small businesses fail...sadly, innovation just isn’t enough)

Last edited:

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I'm too old to figure out how to quote someone's post, but I think BritKLR is right on the money about having a discussion thread that could help an overland business recognize and solve business model/financial problems. I think there should be classes and forums at Overland Expo on the topic. I'd bet about 50% of the businesses that show there have gone under by the next year. Even if their product was viable.
Relating that to this thread, I'm not sure Marc would have taken advantage of any help available. He's a proud guy and I think he felt he could handle the business. I feel terrible for the customers who lost money in the bankruptcy. If I were in their shoes I too would likely feel like Marc was a criminal who intentionally defrauded me. But having gotten to know Marc and the business a bit I don't believe that to be the case. I don't believe he ever felt, up to the last day in business, that he wouldn't pull it out and eventually fulfill all orders and turn a profit again. I think if he had had access to, and taken advantage of, good business advice early on his business would be thriving.
With that in mind I expect to see BritKLR and others at the Overland Business Mistakes (Don't Let Your Cool Crap Put You in the Crapper) forum in Flagstaff. Between Martin, Mario, Jon and a bunch of others you guys would have a wealth of knowledge, solutions, and don't-do-what-we-did tips.
After over a decade of trying to help small businesses (I chaired the board of the NC Technology Incubator and was vice chair of the NC Industrial Extension Service, among other things), I can broadly state that the skills that allow the solo entrepreneur to develop a cool product don't readily translate to the production environment. Unfortunately I've found that a lot of these folks are simply not coachable/trainable and so a large number eventually fail.

It's a real shame because I see how much effort folks put into developing a product only to fail in commercialization, but I see it happen over and over again.

The Artisan

Adventurer
The trick is slow growth and learn how to bring it to market. I started my Auto Upholstery and restorations business in 2002 and specialize in diy bmw upholstery kits. I started it as a side gig as I worked at home in corporate sales. I went full time and I have always required half down deposits and balance is due at completion.
I have large pipelines. Once deposit is made I order material, bag, tag and name that customer. Materials are in hand when ready and you are not using profits to play catchup.
It is hard to hire good help and I have been through it as well and at the end of the day I find it better to do it on my own. I have a product coming out for the camping industry and know I can build one a week and as orders come in I can replicate the fabrication process with general labor in an assembly line. As stated grow slowly and if you do grow quick be realistic in expectations and ability with yourself and who you hire, imo.
Kevin

Superduty

Adventurer
Stories like this make me feel great about retiring: I'll be able to find any work I want. However, cost of living where I am is awesome. My house was less than $48K, and while it was a fixer-upper, it wasn't ridiculous. In my region you can find something decent for $50k all day...and stories of the cost of living in places like CA and WA blow my mind. I can't help but wonder if some of these businesses relocating to cheaper places would help.

Collectively rent an office building in CO to serve as a base for cool overlanding pix...and make your product where it's cheaper.

May I ask where you live? A house for 48k. What kind of neighborhood is that in?

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
The trick is slow growth and learn how to bring it to market. I started my Auto Upholstery and restorations business in 2002 and specialize in diy bmw upholstery kits. I started it as a side gig as I worked at home in corporate sales. I went full time and I have always required half down deposits and balance is due at completion.
I have large pipelines. Once deposit is made I order material, bag, tag and name that customer. Materials are in hand when ready and you are not using profits to play catchup.
It is hard to hire good help and I have been through it as well and at the end of the day I find it better to do it on my own. I have a product coming out for the camping industry and know I can build one a week and as orders come in I can replicate the fabrication process with general labor in an assembly line. As stated grow slowly and if you do grow quick be realistic in expectations and ability with yourself and who you hire, imo.
Kevin

Good insight.

In your case, I’d take full payment up front if you can ship within 2 weeks. Your price point is definitely in that area. Honestly, from a consumer’s standpoint, immediate payment is more professional than this half down cottage craftsman nonsense. Full payment up front says I’m a real business that will send you your stuff when you pay. Half down still screams bootstrapping from project to project, even if that isn’t the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Artisan

Adventurer
Good insight.

In your case, I’d take full payment up front if you can ship within 2 weeks. Your price point is definitely in that area. Honestly, from a consumer’s standpoint, immediate payment is more professional than this half down cottage craftsman nonsense. Full payment up front says I’m a real business that will send you your stuff when you pay. Half down still screams bootstrapping from project to project, even if that isn’t the case.

I can book out 2 to 3 months , and I would do 10 kits a month.
Half down is a standard in custom automotive upholstery
Kevin

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
I can book out 2 to 3 months , and I would do 10 kits a month.
Half down is standard in custom automotive upholstery
Kevin

Who cares what standard is. Do what is the most efficient and profitable. If you are doing DIY kits mail order you already are far from “standard.” Put a few standard kits on the website at a base rate and then upcharge for further customization. Add to cart, charge the card, than sew it up.

Seriously man. I do this consulting for businesses all the time. Message me your domain if you want an experienced opinion.

The Artisan

Adventurer
Who cares what standard is. Do what is the most efficient and profitable. If you are doing DIY kits mail order you already are far from “standard.” Put a few standard kits on the website at a base rate and then upcharge for further customization. Add to cart, charge the card, than sew it up.

Seriously man. I do this consulting for businesses all the time. Message me your domain if you want an experienced opinion.

Thanks I do more local works and do some kits here and there. When those kits are made and ready to sell they move quickly and I charge a premium. I am focussing more on my poptoppers right now prototyping etc.
Kevin

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
Thanks I do more local works and do some kits here and there. When those kits are made and ready to sell they move quickly and I charge a premium. I am focussing more on my poptoppers right now prototyping etc.
Kevin

For a local shop half up front makes total sense. Keep you on crushing it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior