Affordable, low power draw 60qt fridge.

dbhost

I am just wondering what everyone suggests for a low draw fridge. I don't need tons of storage, but I need cold storage for a weeks worth refridgerated food for 2 people including space to keep drinks cold. I have been having good results with a 60qt cooler but obviously ice takes up space and creates a mess...

So what are you using for your builds?

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Here is a build-in type. Good reliability with secop/danfoss compressor.

Portable model.

This model has decent reviews on amazon. Might do some searching to see if there are third party reviews.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Define "affordable"

Well since Scott Brady just posted a very helpful, detailed article just the other day here about some of these fridges, looking at the prices in that article tells me that I can go out on a limb and say, if this OP already has read that article, he’s saying anything in the $1,000+/- range would not be in his affordability category.

Last edited:

jadmt

ignore button user
a 50qt fridge will hold way more than any 60 qt cooler at least if you want the cooler contents to be cold. My 50qt arb holds 2x the cold stuff my yeti 50 holds. I can run my ARB off my jeep's stock battery 3 days at a time without moving and that is in the summer time. I know my battery might be living on borrowed time but been doing it for over 2 years.

Reactions: WVI

dbhost

Well since Scott Brady just posted a very helpful, detailed article just the other day here about some of these fridges, looking at the prices in that article tells me that I can go out on a limb and say, if this OP already has read that article, he’s saying anything in the $1,000+/- range would not be in his affordability category.

I'm not aware of the article you mention, however you are right, $1,000.00 for a compact fridge is not something I can easily absorb. I am hoping for the $600.00 or under price point.

dbhost

I can't absorb a $1K price tag for a portable fridge. (I wish I could, but realities are not there...). I was thinking about something like the 50qt Iceco unit at https://amzn.to/2QXrxCD but didn't know if it was any good.

To get in at or under budget I need to stay under $600.00 total.

dbhost

I really wish models were available to look at locally. The JP40 IF it is appropriate volume internally, I need to keep things cold, but not like a month of food. Things like fajita beef, veggies, pre rolled tortillas etc... But I need to keep the height under 19".

https://amzn.to/2QZg5X7

If the 40qt is actually big enough to be workable for us, the funds wise the price is right.

The big issue is that my bed design has the platform at 19" to clear the port o potty and AquaTainers...

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Here is a build-in type. Good reliability with secop/danfoss compressor.

Another vote for the front-loading Truckfridges. We have a TF-49 in and it works great. We've routinely loaded 3-4 days of food for 3 people, and some beer, so it's maybe borderline for OP's spec of 7 days for 2 people, but a smaller fridge is generally easy to keep cool. (Presuming you can actually get everything you need into it!)

RJ Howell

I hear you on costs.. I saw an awesome video of a guy that dedicated a chest unit for fridge and another for freezer and mounted under a flip top counter for easy excess. How cool! Then I saw what he paid... The old joke of I wish I had enough money to buy an elephant came to mind. Don't want an elephant, just enough money to..

I just saw a Whynter a few days back. $450 (about) and decent looking unit. 40qt size, and still seemed large for what it contains.. Power consumption claims 65 watts, yet said 4.5amps @ 12v.. My math goes a bit higher on amperage, but that's my math..
I didn't like that the 'freezer' is not isolated from the 'refrigerator' section. Weird.. Seems to me most are this way.

For me, cause I like to build my own, I'm researching buying the components and making my own case. I like chest style units and if you build out of, say 2 1/2" foam or heck 3" foam, think about how efficient it could be. I mean, go 3" and ice... think about how long that could last. Especially if you build two and work out of one and the other as the hold 'em unit.

Just some thoughts...

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
I'm not aware of the article you mention, however you are right, $1,000.00 for a compact fridge is not something I can easily absorb. I am hoping for the $600.00 or under price point.

Here it is...right on top of this thread.
While the fridges here are higher in cost than what you are looking for, it’s still a helpful read to get up to date on brands, quality and options perhaps.

F4E866E6-38C2-4BB2-A8BB-A4FDBE5F0D66.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: plh

plh

Explorer

For several years (maybe 8?) I have had an Edgestar 45, works perfect. When its not in one of my trucks, it is plugged in to 120v in my basement for a beer fridge. In total it has probably been powered up via either 12VDC or 120VAC for over 7 of those 8 years.

If you don't mind camo, that Whynter 45 (same as Edgestar) is $353 (Prime) on this Amazon link.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier