Google Timeline

tanuki.himself

I've just discovered Google Timeline for the first time. Apart from the corporate big brother concerns this is so cool - its pretty much tracked my movements since Jan 2015 as we travelled through Canada the US, central and south America and now to Europe. Has anyone else played with this at all and knows how to print or screenshot the map so it can be shared?

plh

Explorer
Its only sorta accurate in my experience, at least for me. For sure creepy thou.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
You can access the timeline on an computer. Right click and save the image, or take a screenshot. No way to natively embed, as I don't think google has an API for that.

Josh41

Adventurer
Wife thought it was really cool. It gives all kinds of analytics as well. Our 12th most visited site was our local Chinese restaurant.
Screen Shot 2020-01-08 at 7.54.20 PM.png

shade

It's one of the ways Google (and others) make their money.

I don't feel strongly one way or the other about what they're doing, except that I'm glad that they're at least allowing users to see some of what's being collected, and how long it's retained. I don't keep up on how open other services are about their data collection, but I'm sure there are some variations in how its used and shared.

ITTOG

I have been using it about five or six years. I find it very accurate and love it.

shade

Another somewhat similar feature is the ability to share your location and route in real time with multiple people. It's simple to do, and can be very useful.

It can also be pretty creepy if accidentally left active, or otherwise misused.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I'm glad that they're at least allowing users to see some of what's being collected, and how long it's retained. I don't keep up on how open other services are about their data collection, but I'm sure there are some variations in how its used and shared.
Some time ago I was made aware that Google aggregated your location from maps as well as store your lifetime of searches so I have those services "paused" in Googlespeak. Whether they *actually* honor that setting I couldn't say but I'm sure Verizon, Apple and anything with location ability does it. I'm not under any illusion w.r.t. privacy.

F350joe

Some time ago I was made aware that Google aggregated your location from maps as well as store your lifetime of searches so I have those services "paused" in Googlespeak. Whether they *actually* honor that setting I couldn't say but I'm sure Verizon, Apple and anything with location ability does it. I'm not under any illusion w.r.t. privacy.
I did the same thing right after buying a new phone. I got home and google message popped up asking me to review the Kabob Shop. I was by the kabob shop buying a phone but didn’t eat there. Creeped me out and turned everything location based off.

shade

I did the same thing right after buying a new phone. I got home and google message popped up asking me to review the Kabob Shop. I was by the kabob shop buying a phone but didn’t eat there. Creeped me out and turned everything location based off.
A good way to maintain some control over your phone is to manually enable/disable wifi, Bluetooth, & GPS. Heck, add NFC, too.

It's not foolproof, but it's better than turning off your phone, or keeping it in a Faraday bag.

tanuki.himself

You can access the timeline on an computer. Right click and save the image, or take a screenshot. No way to natively embed, as I don't think google has an API for that.
i'm just not getting that option - any time I am over the map it the cursor is a drag hand, and i can't get a right click menu up at all :-( tried it on win 7 and 10. I can print the screen but that doesnt show the whole map and has all the other junk I don't want....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94