Tex's 2019 GX460 build

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I can justify the small lift, 32's, sliders, bumper/winch, and roof rack in order to have a slightly built rig that is still usable as a daily. I hope to have all of those items installed by the end of the year.
Meh. Leave it as is and have if for a daily. Save the mods for a diesel Tremor.....

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Meh. Leave it as is and have if for a daily. Save the mods for a diesel Tremor.....

Part of me wants to do that and part of me doesn't because we already have that in the LX. The GX already has 32" Ridge Grapplers on the stock wheels so really it would just be adding a small lift and sliders, maybe a bumper and winch up front. I can't handle having two bone stock vehicles with excellent off-road characteristics not being utilized lol, I'm too OCD about tinkering with this stuff.

Lately I've had my eye on OBS diesels and even 70's models F-250 4x4 Highboys. Sadly they both push $20K for a clean specimen and the latter doesn't have power steering or A/C. I would never make a serious travel rig out of either so it would really just be a glorified dirt bike hauler. A diesel Tremor will have to wait until 2021 and that's a long way off in my little world lol.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Part of me wants to do that and part of me doesn't because we already have that in the LX. The GX already has 32" Ridge Grapplers on the stock wheels so really it would just be adding a small lift and sliders, maybe a bumper and winch up front. I can't handle having two bone stock vehicles with excellent off-road characteristics not being utilized lol, I'm too OCD about tinkering with this stuff.

Lately I've had my eye on OBS diesels and even 70's models F-250 4x4 Highboys. Sadly they both push $20K for a clean specimen and the latter doesn't have power steering or A/C. I would never make a serious travel rig out of either so it would really just be a glorified dirt bike hauler. A diesel Tremor will have to wait until 2021 and that's a long way off in my little world lol.
Haha! I read that and was thinking 2021... that's pretty soon. Then I finished your sentence.

Dalko43

Explorer
In regards to width and depth they are extremely similar, the one place where you'll give up space with the GX is in height from the deck to the roof. The third row design makes for a taller deck height and it also creates a slight incline on the the second row seats moving towards the front of the vehicle. If you need specific dimensions just let me know and I can measure for you to see whether or not your particular crate/kennel will fit.

Appreciate the offer. I was able to see one in person and confirmed what you said...less deck height but otherwise very similar dimensions to the 4runner. It's a great vehicle, but given my cargo requirements, I don't think it will be in the works for me.

SoTxAg06

Missed that you had ditched the 4 runner. Following along with this build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Missed that you had ditched the 4 runner. Following along with this build.

Yea she hit the road back in September. This build was delayed but should get under way here shortly. Are you still rocking the RAM?

SoTxAg06

Yea she hit the road back in September. This build was delayed but should get under way here shortly. Are you still rocking the RAM?

Negative, Ram wouldn’t step up and fix it, so it got shipped down the road. Driving a 1/2 ton Chevy now, and trying to figure out what my next steps will be.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Negative, Ram wouldn’t step up and fix it, so it got shipped down the road. Driving a 1/2 ton Chevy now, and trying to figure out what my next steps will be.

That's a bummer. I have the same fears about RAM as well and it's what will likely keep me from buying another and ultimately will land me back in a Ford.

SoTxAg06

That's a bummer. I have the same fears about RAM as well and it's what will likely keep me from buying another and ultimately will land me back in a Ford.

Yeah, I was less than impressed with the problems I had, and the lack of service. Especially for a stock truck that wasn’t modified. I’m not sure that I would consider another RAM in the future.

Mpl1978

Since you have both vehicles I am looking at, you seem to be in a great position to debate my internal thoughts. Currently I have a '04 lx470 and a ford expedition ('17 2wd). I am looking to possible get rid of both for one vehicle. I have a family of 4, space is always a gift. I am looking at a 2016 LC with 45k miles for the same price as a 2019/20 GX. I was surprised, but the rear legroom appears to be the same. I plan on light mods, no lift, but a roof rack, new shoes and tires, and interior storage drawers. I plan on using it to travel the county with the family, possibly pull a small expedition trailer (turtleback type) and get off the beaten path, but certainly no aggressive rock crawling. Should I go with the '16 lc or a '19/20 GX? Thanks for your input.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Since you have both vehicles I am looking at, you seem to be in a great position to debate my internal thoughts. Currently I have a '04 lx470 and a ford expedition ('17 2wd). I am looking to possible get rid of both for one vehicle. I have a family of 4, space is always a gift. I am looking at a 2016 LC with 45k miles for the same price as a 2019/20 GX. I was surprised, but the rear legroom appears to be the same. I plan on light mods, no lift, but a roof rack, new shoes and tires, and interior storage drawers. I plan on using it to travel the county with the family, possibly pull a small expedition trailer (turtleback type) and get off the beaten path, but certainly no aggressive rock crawling. Should I go with the '16 lc or a '19/20 GX? Thanks for your input.

It depends on what's more important to you, size, space, more power or a new vehicle with a full warranty. The GX is a fantastic vehicle for the money, you get a V8 (smaller than the one found in the LC), 6-speed transmission, "decent" fuel economy (when compared to the LC), three row seating and better than average interior appointments and ride quality/cabin sound. With the LC you get a large V8 with plenty of power, more room, better resale value and an 8-speed transmission. It doesn't get very good fuel economy but it has better stability with its larger track, size, weight and will definitely make for a better tow rig.

It's really hard to say what is the best choice here without knowing your preferences, but considering the size of your family I'd go with the LC. It's best to understand that the third row seats in these vehicles aren't very comfortable nor are they spacious and should really only be used for younger children. Neither can be used without giving up the majority of your cargo space either. They both have older and extremely reliable power plants that should give you hundreds of thousands of miles of trouble free use. If it were me and I could only have one it would be the LC because I have no qualms about owning either one of those vehicles out of warranty and the 200-series LC is a better vehicle overall than the 150-series GX. That said, there is no wrong answer here and you should be fine no matter which one you choose.

Mpl1978

Thanks for the feedback. I am going to test drive the LC on Thursday but I am leaning that way. I plan on removing the third row in the LC, if I buy it, to have more usable cargo. For a cross country hauler - the bigger platform seems like a better choice.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
**Update

The GX is headed to Duggy's Garage in Houston on Monday for a BMC, Total Chaos UCA's, and the install of the Ironman Foam Cell Pro lift kit. For now it'll be set at 2" of lift front and rear and I will continue to run the Nitto Ridge Grappler 255/70/18's (32.1x10x18) that are currently on the factory wheels. I have yet to decide whether or not I will use wheel spacers up front, but I'd like to avoid it if I can because I wasn't too keen on them when we had them on the 4Runner. In the coming months I plan to bump the kit up to 2.5-3" of lift (up front) and increase the coil rate to handle a heavier load for the addition of the front bumper and winch install.

I still need to decide which sliders I want to run and whether or not I am going to give the Coastal Off-road dual swing out rear bumper a go or run with a more streamlined and simple solution like the JW Off-road rear tire mount that basically bolts to the rear door. Keeping the overall added weight down is a concern and focus, but I might be willing to give up some out back should I decide to go with the CBI GXOR Hybrid front winch bumper instead of a full wrap like the ARB or Ironman. I don't really like the idea of drilling holes in the rear door for the JW tire mount and I am also concerned about the sheet metal holding up over time. I've seen similar installs tear the metal over time due to the extra load and forces it's experiencing with every jostle of the body.

What do you guys think of the following front bumpers?

ARB

89Ug0Sx.jpg

Ironman

c1EC94Q.jpg

CBI GXOR Hybrid

FoKqxoK.jpg

dAoUqRK.jpg

TsDvOQl.jpg

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I like the ARB or Ironman over the hybrid, but I’ve always been a fan of those types of bumpers. Sounds like a cool build coming.

I'll 2nd that. I think the ARB or Ironman will help with the giant predator grill issue on the current GX's too...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior