Warning if you're considering Tepui LoPro3

AdiRunner

Hi all,

So I purchased a Tepui LoPro3 tent from Amazon (sold and shipped by Amazon so legit tent). If you go right now on their Amazon or their own website on Tepui.com you see them claiming the profile of the tent is 7" closed. One spec on amazon actually mentions its 9.25"closed.

Now I discovered this after contacting customer service regarding another issue with my cover not lasting. They informed me my ladder isn't supposed to be stowed on top of the tent because their design is to keep it off to meet their spec.

This is what they said:

"The LoPro is designed differently than our other softshell tents as it sits at a lower height (about 7 inches at its tallest point rather than 12"). This is achieved by detaching the ladder from the tent and not storing the ladder with the tent."

I decided to measure the tent without the ladder mounted and noticed it is at least 10.25inches without counting aluminum rails (this is at the highest point of the tent which is the ladder hinge without the ladder attached). See attached pic, which once again doesn't include the height of the aluminum rail.

I purchased this tent hoping to have a simple solution for camping that would not require additional gear in my 4runner (I need to stow ladder in the 4runner, my fault for not noticing) and to able to park in garages 84" and above. The height aspect is the only reason to purchase this tent over the competitors.

When I mentioned this discrepancy to their customer service they stated:

"Our website needs some adjusting. When I measured our display tent I got a max height of 9" at the highest point (not including the ladder) so your tent is in great condition. I'm going to make some changes on our website as such. "

Which is unfortunate because they lied again definitely not 9" at highest point. They're selectively using measurements vs actual height the tent adds with the tent+ unremovable ladder hinge+their own supplied aluminum rail.

Attached is my tents current measurement after compressing it as comfortably as possible, without the aluminum rails. At the highest point it isn't 7", 9", 9.25". It's already 10.25" not including the rails. Attached also is the specifications on their own website & Amazon page for the LoPro3.

The whole point of this tent is to be low profile. At 10.25" (actually 11.25" with rail) it definitely isn't what it claims to be. And I cannot take my stock 4runner in garages without risking it being hit.

Going to try to process return. But just posting this as my experience in spending $1600+ on this tent.

AdiRunner

Screenshot of their website specification, Amazon specification, and my actual measurement without ladder.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200109-121150_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200109-121150_Gallery.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 99
  • Screenshot_20200109-121221_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200109-121221_Gallery.jpg
    703.2 KB · Views: 91
  • Screenshot_20200109-121229_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200109-121229_Gallery.jpg
    392.6 KB · Views: 63

Chad D.

So, return it! Amazon is great for that. Lots of other low profile options, but not many in the price range you’re at with that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bkg

Explorer
no dog in this hunt...

But it appears that the tent isn't properly folded in the pic you provided. And the tape is wrapped a bit around the bottom, exaggerating the measurement.

Don't like it? return it.

BrewsterII

Yeah, it would certainly appear that the info provided needs correction.

And the customer response doesn't exactly give one the feel of confidence.

Bummer! :(

AdiRunner

no dog in this hunt...

But it appears that the tent isn't properly folded in the pic you provided. And the tape is wrapped a bit around the bottom, exaggerating the measurement.

Don't like it? return it.

Tent is folded properly.. tape isn't wrapped a bit, the metal part is starting at the edge where the tent cover meets the zipper.

It's not don't like it return it... they advertised 7" profile at highest point. The measurement isn't exaggerated, even they updated part of their site to say 10" now, which still doesn't include the aluminum rails of 1".

Just posting this so other members don't get duped into thinking 7" spec for the LowPro3 means 7" all around like they try to mislead you to believe.

AdiRunner

So, return it! Amazon is great for that. Lots of other low profile options, but not many in the price range you’re at with that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amazon wouldn't let me return it unless I disassemble tent myself or go 1.5hr+ to Tepui's factory to have then disassemble (originally tepui wanted me to pay $80 to have it disassembled, Amazon offered to cover it but I didn't wanna waste 4+hrs of my life trying to return this). I got this for a good deal so gonna give it to a family member with a sedan or crossover.

Customer service from Tepui is liars, and the Amazon is unhelpful unless you do all the labor. Just sharing my experience dealing with this company.

Yeah the only real competitor left is GFC RTT, which is 6" and designed by what seems way more competent people that understand what people are looking for in a low profile tent. But it goes for almost 3x this tent. Decisions decisions

tennesseewj

Observer
If you're playing a game of inches with parking garages you were already screwed before you ordered the tent. All it takes a low hanging sprinkler or light fixture to make a bad day. I wouldn't feel comfortable with that small of a factor of safety...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

AdiRunner

Stock 4runner is 72". With this Tepui LoPro3 I expected max 8" (accounting for additional cross bar) for 80" total. So I can easily clear 84" garage with 4" to spare and driving loaded is probably gonna help a bit too. But with this height they're just false advertising and I'm looking at 83.25" at the highest point which is gambling it.

Once again all could be avoided if they just advertise clearly.. but being ambiguous and flat out lying to customers in my message I quoted earlier shows they're chasing the money only.

GFC would be 78" total height which wouldn't be an issue at all for any garage but 3x the cost was why I decided for Tepui LoPro3 over them. You get what you pay for rings true even if its $1600+ I guess

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
It looks like they’ve already changed the tent’s measurements online. 52ABD68A-21F1-41CA-A4D9-4C590F700D45.jpeg

So that definitely proves your complaint is valid.

The crappy customer service you received sucks.

It isn’t as simple as “just return“ it either. An unreasonable burden has been put on you to remedy an error you’re not responsible for.

Tepui should have done a much better job making the return a seamless experience for you since it clearly was their mistake in the first place. So thx for posting....

I share your garage entry concerns as I have to park my rig inside my garage per my HOA rules. I’ve been trying to find/build a pop up topper to fit on my truck and have had no luck so far. So, yeah, knowing the accurate height measurements of gear like this is critical to a buying decision.

Tepui has a big black eye right now and should know it’s rep on this forum has taken a hit.

Last edited by a moderator:

bkg

Explorer
Tent is folded properly.. tape isn't wrapped a bit, the metal part is starting at the edge where the tent cover meets the zipper.

It's not don't like it return it... they advertised 7" profile at highest point. The measurement isn't exaggerated, even they updated part of their site to say 10" now, which still doesn't include the aluminum rails of 1".

Just posting this so other members don't get duped into thinking 7" spec for the LowPro3 means 7" all around like they try to mislead you to believe.

Actually, it *IS* a "don't like it, return it" situation.

Would have taken 2 minutes upon installing to go "uh... numbers are different, so it's clearly not going to work...." and started the return.

Or you can focus your time on being right instead of correct... whatever floats your boat.

AdiRunner

Actually, it *IS* a "don't like it, return it" situation.

Would have taken 2 minutes upon installing to go "uh... numbers are different, so it's clearly not going to work...." and started the return.

Or you can focus your time on being right instead of correct... whatever floats your boat.

Not trying to be right, just informing the community man. Not sure why you think just returning it and being quiet is the move but whatever floats your boat. I'd like to be informed if a company is misleading/lying about their product before giving them my $1600

tennesseewj

Observer
It's certainly frustrating, but calling them liars and making it out like they purposefully screwed you seems petty. "Trust but verify" seems to fit here, and I certainly would have sought one out in person before dropping $1,600...

Returning products is often a hassle, but it's just part of it when dealing with online shopping.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

bkg

Explorer
Not trying to be right, just informing the community man. Not sure why you think just returning it and being quiet is the move but whatever floats your boat. I'd like to be informed if a company is misleading/lying about their product before giving them my $1600

You're more hung up on painting the company as liars than you are anything.

If all it was about was informing, then a simple "I ordered this tent thinking that I could fit it into my apartment complex because of it's advertised height of closing down to as little as 7". I couldn't get mind to close to less than 10", which seemed odd. I verified with the supplier and there is indeed a delta between the originally advertised height and the height one is able to actually accomplish. I believe they have updated their website. I admit I didn't check with any actual owners of the item before purchasing; I should have better informed myself. My hop is that my experience helps inform the community. I've choses to return the item because it doesn't fit my needs. Having said that, I'd be interested if anyone can recommend a RTT that, when collapsed, can comfortably be measured under 7" thick?"

AdiRunner

This isn't a small oversight, it's the main spec/reason the product is called LoPro3, the low profile of 7" you'd expect.

When a manufacturer claims a spec, then goes back when questioned on it, what else is it if not lying? They were quick to claim it's about 7" at highest as opposed to 12", showing they know the normal height of tents in the market. You can't just recall a spec and expect customer to be ok with it...

I did my research, don't expect people to put their hands on the product beforehand because not every store carries/displays this tent, and not everyone knows someone with the exact product or model they're interested in. This is why we have manufacturer website specs, amazon website, reviews and YouTube, to help customers navigate that problem. If I cant rely on the manufacturer/customer service for true specs then I should post about it here to warn others no?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles