2018 4x4 Sprinter conversion for sale

Vantasticvistas

Great looking van. We've already got a vehicle we're converting to a camper so I'm not in the market, but good luck with the sale!

It would be great for us (and other folks building a camper I'd assume) to learn more about the shower - can you share any info about who built it/cost/design/etc? Thanks!
I designed the shower and drew it up using sketch up and made templates for the tapered wall panel section. I sent the drawings to a local sheet metal/steel fabricator and they fabricated/welded the pan and bent/cut the wall panel to my templates. I then picked up all the parts and installed them. I did have to modify the wall sections slightly in a few spots to get the fit right.

At $3,500 the cost was steep. Quality wise I probably would have been more satisfied if I had done it all myself but I am not set up to weld stainless or to make the breaks.

I also had to seal the wall panels to each other after install since a fully a welded enclosure would be too tall to get in and stand up. This probably could have been avoided using a taller slip connection between the pan and the wall sections but I didn’t go that route.

The door is the self cleaning Nautilus RV door which has worked well.

Pgopinath

I had a chance to look at Patrick's Sprinter last week and it is probably the finest and most tasteful conversion i have seen. Clearly no expense was spared in fitting it out with best-in-class equipment, and where commercially available items werent good enough he had them custom made to extremely high standards; case in point - the custom stainless steel water tank, the stainless steel wet toilet and shower enclosure, etc. This is a superb vehicle and Patrick is a really nice guy and a talented designer and craftsman.

Prabha

jgatliff

Father, Husband, Outdoorsman, & Adventurer.
For the sleeping arrangement, where does the child sleep? Also what is the internal height, the bed and shower dimensions?
Thank you,
JG

Last edited:

Vantasticvistas

For the sleeping arrangement, where does the child sleep? Also what is the internal height, the bed and shower dimensions?
Thank you,
JG

We all slept in the main bed together; our son being just 3, this was an acceptable arrangement - the bed is 67” wide. Standing height in the van is just over 75”. The shower pan is 24” deep by 33.5 long (inside) - but that 24” depth diminishes as the back wall curves in - I believe it’s down to about 16” at the ceiling. It’s a tiny space and I had my concerns leading up to actually putting it together. But it actually does work rather well. I am 6’ 1” for reference.

Prabha,

Thank you for those very generous compliments!

Vantasticvistas

Awesome build! You did a ton of work for that 9 week adventure...respect. Are you on to another project or just moving on from having a van? Thanks!
Yes, perhaps it was an unreasonable work to use ratio, but I did enjoy the challenge and the opportunity to learn some new stuff. There was a good chance in my mind that we would keep the van for the long haul but with another kid on the way now it was clear that until they got a bit older it would be tough to give it the use it deserves. I hope to build another project down the line - maybe a box on a Unimog. (I can dream right!). I did the same thing with a house too - built it nearly all myself over the course of about 3 years intending to live in it forever, and then we sold it after 2 years! I hope to get to build another house some day too! That project did help put the van conversion into a different perspective though in terms of scope.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Yes, perhaps it was an unreasonable work to use ratio, but I did enjoy the challenge and the opportunity to learn some new stuff. There was a good chance in my mind that we would keep the van for the long haul but with another kid on the way now it was clear that until they got a bit older it would be tough to give it the use it deserves. I hope to build another project down the line - maybe a box on a Unimog. (I can dream right!). I did the same thing with a house too - built it nearly all myself over the course of about 3 years intending to live in it forever, and then we sold it after 2 years! I hope to get to build another house some day too! That project did help put the van conversion into a different perspective though in terms of scope.

Excellent practice for the future, eh?
Killer job.

jgatliff

Father, Husband, Outdoorsman, & Adventurer.
We all slept in the main bed together; our son being just 3, this was an acceptable arrangement - the bed is 67” wide. Standing height in the van is just over 75”. The shower pan is 24” deep by 33.5 long (inside) - but that 24” depth diminishes as the back wall curves in - I believe it’s down to about 16” at the ceiling. It’s a tiny space and I had my concerns leading up to actually putting it together. But it actually does work rather well. I am 6’ 1” for reference.

Prabha,

Thank you for those very generous compliments!

Thank you very much for answering my questions, I really like the way that your van is setup. Unfortunately we need a separate bed for our daughter. Good luck with the sale!

Backwood Boxers

I have been watching your post since you posted here and on Craigslist, I just joined yesterday so I could post to you, oh well maybe next build. You did a great job on the Van. Let me know if the deal falls through. Thanks, BB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz