Which Overland Vehicle and Why?

D

Deleted member 9101

Tacos been off my radar for 2 years because of what you mention.

I was all wound up for a Ranger until we played with one last weekend. Pretty sure the car seat won’t fit in the back, wifey was not happy with legroom on PS... so there goes that.

Yep...and if you look at the cost...there isn't a big difference between midsize and fullsize.

D

Deleted member 9101

My folks raised all of us in a Beetle and a reg cab C10 and now apparently nobody can have kids without a crew cab and a 3 row SUV :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Try to fit a rear facing baby seat in either of those....haha.

85_Ranger4x4

Yep...and if you look at the cost...there isn't a big difference between midsize and fullsize.

About $10k which is fairly considerable.

A Supercrew STX FX4 Ranger like how I want is $37k, a comparable Supercrew XL FX4 (with some dress up stuff, I don't care for anything that comes with the F-150's STX package) 5.0 F-150 is about $47k.

That is sticker to sticker, rebates vary and the rebate wagon is getting to the Ranger now.

Everybody likes to rub the Ranger's nose in it that the F-150 is cheaper with rebates... new models don't get them and the cost goes down the longer the model is out too. When the F-150 first went aluminum a comparable F-250 was about $5k little cheaper sticker to sticker. Now that the F-250 went aluminum and has been out awhile, it stabilized back so the '250 costs a little more.

Or they see a $45k Lariat Ranger and marvel that they could get an F-150 for the same price. And you can... but it won't have leather seats and LED headlights etc. The $48k XL F-150 I just built has halogen headlights, cloth seats and a rubber floor.

phsycle

Adventurer
About $10k which is fairly considerable.

A Supercrew STX FX4 Ranger like how I want is $37k, a comparable Supercrew XL FX4 (with some dress up stuff, I don't care for anything that comes with the F-150's STX package) 5.0 F-150 is about $47k.

That is sticker to sticker, rebates vary and the rebate wagon is getting to the Ranger now.

Everybody likes to rub the Ranger's nose in it that the F-150 is cheaper with rebates... new models don't get them and the cost goes down the longer the model is out too. When the F-150 first went aluminum a comparable F-250 was about $5k little cheaper sticker to sticker. Now that the F-250 went aluminum and has been out awhile, it stabilized back so the '250 costs a little more.

Or they see a $45k Lariat Ranger and marvel that they could get an F-150 for the same price. And you can... but it won't have leather seats and LED headlights etc. The $48k XL F-150 I just built has halogen headlights, cloth seats and a rubber floor.

To be fair, an STX FX4 Ranger can be had for $31k-$32k. An STX FX4 F150 with 2.7L can be had for $34k. So that's not that far off. Again, trying to be more apples/apples here. (ie 2.3L turbo to 2.7L turbo).

85_Ranger4x4

To be fair, an STX FX4 Ranger can be had for $31k-$32k. An STX FX4 F150 with 2.7L can be had for $34k. So that's not that far off. Again, trying to be more apples/apples here. (ie 2.3L turbo to 2.7L turbo).

A Supercrew XL F-150 starts at $33k. That is 2wd with the 3.3.

The XL Chrome Appearance Package I picked is $775, STX appearance package is $1995.

Without the 5.0 the F-150 is at $46k before any negotiation or discounts and is option to option very similar to the Ranger I would order.

phsycle

Adventurer
A Supercrew XL F-150 starts at $33k. That is 2wd with the 3.3.

The XL Chrome Appearance Package I picked is $775, STX appearance package is $1995.

Without the 5.0 the F-150 is at $46k before any negotiation or discounts and is option to option very similar to the Ranger I would order.

I guess what I'm saying is, the market price (not MSRP) is what's more relevant here. Here is an example of the F150 at $33k.

Here is a Ranger at just over $30k.

jadmt

ignore button user
When I do an actual comparison between the Ranger and the F150 they way I would want either one there is not a lot of difference in price OTD and sitting in the Ranger just seems like so much less substance for the money.

85_Ranger4x4

I guess what I'm saying is, the market price (not MSRP) is what's more relevant here. Here is an example of the F150 at $33k.

Here is a Ranger at just over $30k.

Yeah, when yesterday's news (a 2019 still on the lot) doesn't look any different than today's news (a 2020) or even day before yesterday's news (a 2018) you have to mark them down to move them.

Ranger is new to the market so right now there isn't a lot of incentive to mark down the 2019's which had a short production year and were slow to get to dealer lots last year in the first place.

It is a timing thing. Wait a year or two and the Ranger will be getting the same treatment as the F-150.

phsycle

Adventurer
Yeah, when yesterday's news (a 2019 still on the lot) doesn't look any different than today's news (a 2020) or even day before yesterday's news (a 2018) you have to mark them down to move them.

Ranger is new to the market so right now there isn't a lot of incentive to mark down the 2019's which had a short production year and were slow to get to dealer lots last year in the first place.

It is a timing thing. Wait a year or two and the Ranger will be getting the same treatment as the F-150.

Are you suggesting the Ranger pricing will discounted at over 25% MSRP? i.e. in this scenario, $25k?? Wow, sign me up!

calicamper

Expedition Leader

I also find with my local dealer that younger less experienced buyers are more attracted to the Ranger as a result dealers are playing the price game which results in higher prices. Not to mention like 1 ranger is built for every 15 F150’s so strictly from availability and basic pricing trends the F150 pricing sees more dilution.

85_Ranger4x4

Are you suggesting the Ranger pricing will discounted at over 25% MSRP? i.e. in this scenario, $25k?? Wow, sign me up!

They will knock some off, they do it to leftovers all the time:

T-Willy

Great question.

For me it's this, because... It's nimble, plush on dirt, comfortable, capable, durable, reliable, fairly simple, slow, can carry a heavy load and is in my opinion the perfect size. The addition of the pop-top and 50 gal fuel capacity have been alchemy.

It's also been in the family since new; nearly 30 years of trips makes for a lot of vehicle love.

a40d9b47-a5b4-4cb6-973f-0719c7a463cf-jpeg.489415

If I had to replace it I would stick with the same basic idea (size, configuration). The contenders would be:

- pop-top LHD diesel 80
- 200 or GX460 and rtt
- pop-top troopy or 77
- pop-top diesel JLU sport, but the payload sucks
- low-spec defender (the Kia knockoff look sucks, but I love the payload and capability) and rtt

Or, sometimes I even dream of the comfort of a FWC on a high-riding, short wheelbase truck, like the Zr2 or F250 single cab.

SBSYNCRO

I was very excited about the new ranger and followed its release closely. I’d seen them for years in Asia and was really looking forward to the possibility of a turbo diesel or 3.5 eco boost “baby Raptor”. Then I test drove an FX4 (the first one to hit my local dealer). I test drove the Chevy ZR2.

Then I bought a Jeep Rubicon.

The Ranger is really boring, and it’s off-road chops are severely lacking without major modifications (in my opinion) which aren’t plentiful (yet) in the US. Gas mileage/range not much better than the f-150.

Keep in mind this Ranger is not “new”; only to the US. It’s actually mid-life (or perhaps later) in its global lifecycle.

Maybe the next version will get me excited. But I was not inspired by the current offering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I was very excited about the new ranger and followed its release closely. I’d seen them for years in Asia and was really looking forward to the possibility of a turbo diesel or 3.5 eco boost “baby Raptor”. Then I test drove an FX4 (the first one to hit my local dealer). I test drove the Chevy ZR2.

Then I bought a Jeep Rubicon.

The Ranger is really boring, and it’s off-road chops are severely lacking without major modifications (in my opinion) which aren’t plentiful (yet) in the US. Gas mileage/range not much better than the f-150.

Keep in mind this Ranger is not “new”; only to the US. It’s actually mid-life (or perhaps later) in its global lifecycle.

Maybe the next version will get me excited. But I was not inspired by the current offering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed it does sound like the next version based on the new Bronco will be very Life Style designed and probably more exciting to the American buyer. Tho I suspect load capacity will not get higher and will likely be lower with more performance/ trail capabilities focus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz