Cruise control ?‍♂️ wacky?? IDK.

PaydayGabe

Took the Monty for a reasonable drive to allow the computer to reset itself prior to the Smog test (4 new 02 sensors, Denso/Rockauto $174.00us).
About 60 miles round trip in windy conditions. Used the cruise both ways.
Driving out everything was fine, truck ran great except for the cross wind fighting it, cruising steady at 78mph. Return trip,, same scenario except tail wind. The cruise was on 75mph and it felt like it was constantly blinking in and out rather quickly. Maybe that's normal, IDK, but it was making me nutty the way it is hunting for the sweet spot. ?‍♂️
Disengaged, and applied foot throttle at 75mph, smooth as baby butt. I'm befuddled. Do I have a malfunctioning cruise unit??? Strange. ?
Has this happen to anyone else? Thx, G.

p.s. ?it passed the Smog?.?

cr4x4cruiser

Observer
1. What year/ model/ engine?
2. Cruise Control does act up/ refuses to engage due to engine codes present/ waiting to be cleared [AND, clearing Monitors].
3. The ECU [Monitors] will have a difficult time resetting when the vehicle is operated at over 65 mph.

Last edited:

PaydayGabe

It's a 2002 Sport XLS 3.5L Awd.
Blinking may have been the wrong description.
Hunting, or searching could be more appropriate.
It was happening rapidly, almost like a fluttering pulse if that makes sense.
The vehicle has no SES light/ codes and is running great.
?‍♂️Idk,, could have been the tail wind for all I know. I'm probably overthinking again. I'll do another test drive this weekend and report back.
Any thoughts are always welcome... Cheers, G.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
Tailwind is my guess. It may have been getting on and off the throttle trying to maintain the speed. My 95 SR does something similar on downhill grades with the cruise on.

John B.

evomaki

Observer
Well, now that I think of it, I guess the cruise does need a working clockspring. So that's why mine isn't working. Cruise not that important for me, but are those clocksprings still available?

PaydayGabe

Over a year now and I believe my original experience was the cruise was just hunting for the speed. I've not experienced it as severely as last year.
Probably just a fluke anomaly. Thanks everyone.

lev

Old school cable. Very little difference b/w 2.5 monty and 1st gen sporty monty, lots of part share.

For our monties, cruise control uses a vacuum pump, e.g. part MR309795 (alternative systems on other cars use a servo motor some times). More info on pajero4x4 (in Russian, but translate works okay). Associated parts can be found in the usual parts listing sources (interestingly enough, the stoplamp switch is related because if you replace its bulb with an LED or it glitches for another reason, the cruise control will stop working...)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94