Next Vehicle

nickw

Adventurer
There are at least 2 examples of 4.6l Tundra's going to 1 million miles...one of those examples got quite a bit of coverage. Very similar engine to what the Gx460 uses.

Not saying its common, but certainly there is a good case to be made that Toyota 4x4's generally hold up better over the long run. If you don't agree, that's fine...

The LC Prado/4runner/GX460 literally has nothing in common with the Hilux or the Tacoma (both of which are unique platforms) other than some common engine options.

No one is arguing that the LC prado is the same as LC 200 or LC 70 series, but it does carry over a lot of the same design philosophies, especially in terms of being over-engineered.
Common differentials like I said. You saying the Hilux is not as overly engineered as a Prado?

Design wise, Prados at light duty rigs, just like Hiluxes....and 4runners / Tacos. They fill same niches in lineup.

phsycle

Adventurer
There are at least 2 examples of 4.6l Tundra's going to 1 million miles...one of those examples got quite a bit of coverage. Very similar engine to what the Gx460 uses.

Not saying its common, but certainly there is a good case to be made that Toyota 4x4's generally hold up better over the long run. If you don't agree, that's fine...

The LC Prado/4runner/GX460 literally has nothing in common with the Hilux or the Tacoma (both of which are unique platforms) other than some common engine options.

No one is arguing that the LC prado is the same as LC 200 or LC 70 series, but it does carry over a lot of the same design philosophies, especially in terms of being over-engineered.

I don’t know much about 4.6’s but the 4.7 2UZ, I’d trust that engine to take me around the world. My LC with 180k was still running like a champ and UOA showed clean results. Same with the old 3.4 5vz. But I’d not expect any to go a million miles without some major repairs and maintenance. Be realistic. (For the record, there are a number of Ford’s and Chevy’s on record of 1+ mil miles)
I’ve also been impressed on the domestic side. 200k miles is pretty typical with no major issues. I was a delusional Toyota-only guy myself until I actually owned a domestic truck. They’re really nice. Give it a try one of these days.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
I don’t know much about 4.6’s but the 4.7 2UZ, I’d trust that engine to take me around the world. My LC with 180k was still running like a champ and UOA showed clean results. Same with the old 3.4 5vz. But I’d not expect any to go a million miles without some major repairs and maintenance. Be realistic. (For the record, there are a number of Ford’s and Chevy’s on record of 1+ mil miles)
I’ve also been impressed on the domestic side. 200k miles is pretty typical with no major issues. I was a delusional Toyota-only guy myself until I actually owned a domestic truck. They’re really nice. Give it a try one of these days.

There are no examples
Of the exact same model ford or Chevy with a million miles. The only firsts I’ve seen have been diesels. Not gas.

Well hello, first thing is that I have a Gx470 and have had it for about 5 years. It is a great rig. I use it as my expedition vehicle, tow vehicle and road trip vehicle. I have 163k on it now and have had no issues. I have spent money on maintenance though. I currently also have a rx330. I sold a Tacoma for two reasons. It was the most uncomfortable vehicle I have ever owned, the seating is terrible for me and it was gutless. It was a good offroad rig but not near as good as my CJ7.
I have owned over 50 vehicles and up until the Tacoma I was a American vehicle lover. I have owned diesels and gassers, muscle cars and 4x4's. I have built many offroad jeep vehicles (13 infact) and will tell you that I have never had the confidence of longevity as I do with my current vehicles.
At 5000 miles when you pull a dipstick and look at the oil on a Toyota engine it is not black. That alone says something about the internals and engineering.
My GX470 will be with me at least to 250k.
All that said, the Taco is not a bad rig. But it was bad for me. They are very popular and dependable rigs. If that is the choice for you, so be it and have fun with it. But since the OP questions are asked. Everyone has their own opinion and since it is a open forum, each person should be able to provide their opinion without being slammed by others that dont agree.
Good luck to you on your choice.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
That’s not what I said is it

Since I can’t edit it

. But we all know it’s impossible right?

Oh here Toyota trying to figure out how they could improve in it. Domestic wouldn’t do that

Only half a million miles
I know this will have a lot of responses in the morning when I wake up as it’s the cool new thing to bash Toyota. Only the cool guys do it.

nickw

Adventurer
Since I can’t edit it

. But we all know it’s impossible right?

Oh here Toyota trying to figure out how they could improve in it. Domestic wouldn’t do that

Only half a million miles
I know this will have a lot of responses in the morning when I wake up as it’s the cool new thing to bash Toyota. Only the cool guys do it.
I think what your seeing is the domestic manuf have caught up in the last 10 or so years and surpassed Toyota in someways, I think its fair to point out...particularly when its harped on as being the main selling point and superior to others.

This may not be the right thread for it....?

nickw

Adventurer

1.3+ million mile F350....this guys a riot, #oldguysarerad

Dalko43

Explorer

I don't expect any truck, even a Toyota, to go 1million miles without maintenance and major repairs.

But I will note that the average Toyota has a much better chance of getting to higher mileages than does the average Ford or GM product....market trends reflect that. US Consumers haven't stopped buying sedans, rather they just don't prefer Ford and GM sedans anymore...I wonder why that is?

As for trying out a domestic product: no way. They're great when they're new...I have very little faith in them when the get to be 10 years old with 100k miles. The long term reliability still isn't there, or at least lexus and Toyota have much better reputations in that regard...and there are numerous surveys and studies which back that up.

The 3/4 ton's are designed for longer working lives. The 1/2 tons and midsized trucks are not. Ford engineers have pretty much admitted as much when they noted the expected service life of a F-150 was about 10 years on a Motortrend podcast.

Dalko43

Explorer
Common differentials like I said. You saying the Hilux is not as overly engineered as a Prado?

Design wise, Prados at light duty rigs, just like Hiluxes....and 4runners / Tacos. They fill same niches in lineup.

I'm not even sure if the differentials are common among all those platforms. The Prado/4runner/GX460, Hilux and Tacoma are entirely separate platforms...and the fact that they might share 1-2 engine options and a few randomc components here and there doesn't negate that.

As for being "light-duty" it's all relative. The Landcruiser 200 series is certainly more over-engineered, but the other 3 platforms are robust enough that they are able to handle long term work/abuse. The hilux and prado are Toyota's main staple 4x4 for 3rd world countries, where they are over-worked and under-maintained for their entire working lives....it's those "light-duty" 4x4's which continue to cement Toyota's reputation for reliability. LC 200's and even LC 70's, though arguably somewhat more robust, are far less common.

nickw

Adventurer
I'm not even sure if the differentials are common among all those platforms. The Prado/4runner/GX460, Hilux and Tacoma are entirely separate platforms...and the fact that they might share 1-2 engine options and a few randomc components here and there doesn't negate that.

As for being "light-duty" it's all relative. The Landcruiser 200 series is certainly more over-engineered, but the other 3 platforms are robust enough that they are able to handle long term work/abuse. The hilux and prado are Toyota's main staple 4x4 for 3rd world countries, where they are over-worked and under-maintained for their entire working lives....it's those "light-duty" 4x4's which continue to cement Toyota's reputation for reliability. LC 200's and even LC 70's, though arguably somewhat more robust, are far less common.
You can't have it both ways, you've said it yourself, you've used differential size (many times) to argue that the Tundra is built to a higher standard than a F150. Using that logic AND among models manuf by the same corporation, if the vehicle has the same diff size (4runner/Hilux/Prado/Tacoma) I think they are generally built to a "similar" standard. A Hilux may have a thicker frame or slightly different configuration, but they are reasonably close.

Same logic applies to the Land Cruiser with it's larger rear diff....and in the case of the 70 series pickup, it's also has a low power non-turbo diesel which equates into very high durability.
This is not to say a Prado or Hilux are not reliable or durable rigs.....just as GX460/470s, 4runners, FJ cruisers and Tacomas are not either....since they are all a similar platform.

LC's are not arguably more robust - they absolutely are, they are also much more expensive.....which is likely why the Hiluxes are used.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94