Mojave Gladiator - Desert Rated Jeeps

Bobzdar

Observer
I still imagine that most "legit" owners won't buy it cause its factory. There is significant cred to be had for "building" your own rig it seems. Though I personally see the value in a well designed rig with factory support.

I don't understand this thinking at all - if you buy it factory it's generally cheaper than doing it yourself and has warranty coverage. It's almost a penny wise/pound foolish situation where people decide to build it one piece at a time to 'save money' but end up spending way more than if they got it factory equipped. I personally don't give much thought to how people build their rigs, more in how they use them.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
I still imagine that most "legit" owners won't buy it cause its factory. There is significant cred to be had for "building" your own rig it seems. Though I personally see the value in a well designed rig with factory support.

There are two ways of thinking when it comes to this, as far as I see it; 1) You buy the base model and immediately tear into it, why bother paying for all that Rubicon stuff if you're gonna take it to a shop and install Dana 60s to go with your 37 inch tires with less than 100 miles on it? The only downside is in the future if you end up selling it, the title will show none of that and the bank won't care about the aftermarket stuff. 2) You buy the Rubicon and wheel it as close to stock as you can while under warranty, as its plenty capable stock and should retain some additional value based on the trim level. After the warranty is gone, who cares?

I'm pretty firmly in the 2nd camp, as I bought my Raptor and kept it bone stock until 60,0001 miles. Then again my TJ was a bone stock sport model and now has a 4 inch lift, fox shocks, 4.88 gears/lockers, all of that. However the Jeep was almost 13 years old by that point despite only having about 55k miles. Literally bought it from someone who used it to go to the store and to church and thats it.

JeepColorado

I think it's an exciting iteration for Jeep. The success of the Raptor has shown a tremendous market for "go-fast" off-road. They've made some meaningful changes to contrast it with the Rubicon. I'd love to see them do it with the Wrangler as well.

shade

I don't understand this thinking at all - if you buy it factory it's generally cheaper than doing it yourself and has warranty coverage. It's almost a penny wise/pound foolish situation where people decide to build it one piece at a time to 'save money' but end up spending way more than if they got it factory equipped. I personally don't give much thought to how people build their rigs, more in how they use them.

Setting aside how rare it is to find an OEM suspension of this caliber even offered, I'd be surprised if buying those shocks as part of a factory package reduces their cost compared to adding them yourself later. The shocks and the wonder bumps will probably cost around $3000-$4000 off the shelf, and installing them isn't terribly difficult. There's nothing foolish about going that route.

I didn't look long, but here's a taste of what comparable King front shocks would cost: https://sdhqoffroad.com/products/20...reservoir-front-shocks?variant=14992157278243

There's also nothing wrong with buying it equipped that way from the dealer, but they are making money by saving you the trouble, and they add a little more for warranty cost, too.

Last edited:

shade

I think it's an exciting iteration for Jeep. The success of the Raptor has shown a tremendous market for "go-fast" off-road. They've made some meaningful changes to contrast it with the Rubicon. I'd love to see them do it with the Wrangler as well.
Far better than yet another appearance package. It's good to see Jeep offer it, and I hope more OEMs step up with similar options.

Bobzdar

Observer
Setting aside how rare it is to find an OEM suspension of this caliber even offered, I'd be surprised if buying those shocks as part of a factory package reduces their cost compared to adding them yourself later. The shocks and the wonder bumps will probably cost around $3000-$4000 off the shelf, and installing them isn't terribly difficult. There's nothing foolish about going that route.

I didn't look long, but here's a taste of what comparable King front shocks would cost: https://sdhqoffroad.com/products/20...reservoir-front-shocks?variant=14992157278243

There's also nothing wrong with buying it equipped that way from the dealer, but they are making money by saving you the trouble, and they add a little more for warranty cost, too.

Yeah, I mean if all you wanted from this package was the shocks, it wouldn't make sense to get the whole thing...well, depending on the price. Same with the Rubicon, a lot of people just want the wheels and rocker guards, which paying $4k for that is kind of foolish as you can get those for half that. But, trying to buy a base model and recreate the package, even with all cheaper aftermarket stuff, will end up more expensive and less well put together in the end. You get way more than $4k worth of parts on a Rubicon (wheels, tires, lockers, sway bar disconnect, fox shocks, lower ratio transfer case, tow hooks, rocker guards, skid plates, high fenders and a few other bits and bobs) for that price premium, plus you don't have to install it (or pay somebody a couple grand to install it) and you get a warranty. I fail to see what premium they're charging, price that stuff all out new and it's probably 2 or 3k more - air lockers are a grand per axle and wheels and tires are ~$2k in the aftermarket, that's $4k already, the whole price of the package. In effect, you get all the rest of that stuff for 'free', installed and with a warranty.

Same for this package. Figure ~$3k for the shocks, a grand for the rear locker, $2k for the wheels and tires and you're already probably past the cost of the package and you get all the other stuff for free.

shade

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I'm surprised with the beefed up suspension components and strengthened frame, it wouldn't have gotten a payload and tow rating bump. Even if just a minor one.

I'm guessing it's due to the fact that the drive train and brakes aren't changed.

GB_Willys_2014

Thanks for the link. What I find most impressive isn't the shock bling, but that they strengthened the frame & control arms. Based on that article, a Mojave would be an easy choice for me over a Rubicon.
YW ?

And

Agree 100%, for me too: Mojave > Rubicon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles