Need help deciding, Why a Tacoma over a full size truck?

tacollie

Glamper
I'm relatively new here so forgive me for this question.

If the F150 is clearly the better choice , then why is the Portal and most Overland media full of fully built Tacomas??

Thanks for all the input and responses.
It's not always the better choice. "Overlanding" is a broad term. My 02' Tacoma allowed me to put in 400-500 miles of highway one day and 4-5 hours of trail the next with 33s and 2.5" lift. The only problem I had in 167000 miles was a bad window regulator. The amount of work it would take to get a full size to the same spots isn't worth the trouble in my opinion. But I'm am no longer interested in doing hard trails. So I stepped up to a full size to get a larger camper. With 2 adults, 2 dogs, and skis or bikes or Tacomas never seemed small. Our Tundra is cavernous. If we gave up the camper I would go back to a midsize instantly but it would be a Ranger or Gladiator. Full-sizes are popular because they are fancy and you don't have to think about what you pack. Full size trucks are the new minivan. If you like to pack heavy and put in a lot of highway miles get a full-size. If you pack light and want to hit technical trails then consider the mid-size. Pick the right tool for the job. We are also aged out of having kids so I can't comment on that stuff.

tennesseewj

Observer
I think you answered your own question about why the Tacoma is relevant when you said that if you could buy a truck as a personal off-road toy, it would be the Tacoma.

When I was younger and single, I happily drove a first gen Tacoma around and never had a need for the rear seat other than storage. Now that my truck hauls me plus the family plus my work gear...I have a Tundra and could definitely not drive comfortably in a Tacoma. Coincidentally, I also do essentially zero technical trails since I'd rather spend my outdoors time with my family and hopefully instilling that in my kids.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

bglenden

Like anything, it depends on what you find most important when you make your tradeoffs. I have an F150 and am very happy with it for camping (level, rack, bed slide, rooftop tent). These are the downsides I have found for offroad use: Going over (e.g.) Imogene pass in it is fine, but I wouldn't want to go over anything harder. Angles (approach, departure, breakover) are generally the limiting factor. Width is a bit of an issue, but since I don't care about pinstripes it's not a big one. If you want bigger tires (and I think I do), you may have to cut the crash-bars which give the F150 some of its good crash test results. Third-party support for off-road things is limited (e.g., try to find a pair of rock-sliders, or a winch-bumper if you have an eco-boost).

I think it's a fantastic vehicle for remote camping (which is my interest). It's the wrong vehicle if your main interest is driving challenging trails. For me the alternative would probably be something like a Jeep + trailer, not a mid-size truck, which I think I'd find small for camping (despite the fact that I used to backpack). (The F150 is also of course great for standard truck things: towing, moving heavy things, ...).

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I rode a motorcycle for 8 yrs yr around to work. If I ever do 4x4 trail stuff I’ll just buy a light dirt bike. Or by then probably just an Electric MT bike. Lol. Easy enough to get those to trail heads on a hitch rack or trailer with a big comfy highway queen. lol its far easier to enjoy the sights on a challenging trail on 2wheels vs spending your trip preventing damage to a vehicle thats too big and heavy even Jeeps get too big for many trails.

mlmeans

Adventurer
All great replies! I have owned every generation Tacoma since 1987. I have owned full size dodge ram 2500, Tundra, f150, GMC Silverado.. somewhat of a truck fanatic...

For what I do with kids, I like the Tacoma hands down. The size is NOT major but handling etc. is better in Tacoma. Gas mileage is not great in difference, horsepower is less, load capacity is less than full size, etc. BUT that said, the handling, parking, few more miles per gallon, etc.. all matter to me maybe not so much to others.

Every time I go full size I miss my Tacoma... maybe I am a Tacoma nerd.. but for me smaller trailer, light equipment, etc. works well with Tacoma!

SIDE note I have the 2020 with all the goodies.. heated seats, sunroof, bigger touch screen, apple car play, power driver seat, etc. These are pretty new to Tacoma where standard in full size, etc... compromises!

I do know I like to work on my Tacoma more so than full size... but that maybe a preference.. again maybe Tacoma nerd... to each their own! FINDS WHAT WORKS FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY!!!!!

D

Deleted member 9101

If you want bigger tires (and I think I do), you may have to cut the crash-bars which give the F150 some of its good crash test results. Third-party support for off-road things is limited (e.g., try to find a pair of rock-sliders, or a winch-bumper if you have an eco-boost).

The front crash bars can sometimes be swapped from one side to the other to flip them over and give more room.

You can get a winch bumper for the EcoBoost, worst case is you have to use a Freak O Boost intercooler.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I rode a motorcycle for 8 yrs yr around to work. If I ever do 4x4 trail stuff I’ll just buy a light dirt bike. Or by then probably just an Electric MT bike. Lol. Easy enough to get those to trail heads on a hitch rack or trailer with a big comfy highway queen. lol its far easier to enjoy the sights on a challenging trail on 2wheels vs spending your trip preventing damage to a vehicle thats too big and heavy even Jeeps get too big for many trails.

I have come to this realization as well and I do most of my serious off-road trips on two wheels now. This wont stop me from building the GX and possibly other vehicles in the future but I doubt I will have a aggressively modded daily ever again. A dedicated off-road vehicle used only for such excursions is one thing but it isn't in the cards for the foreseeable future and exploring on two-wheels is just so much better. It's more visceral, cheaper to buy, mod and repair, you can fit anywhere, go anywhere, and the fuel economy is insane in comparison. The challenge is greater but that's half of the appeal imho.

Boatbuilder79

The F-150 is definitely better looking, more comfortable, a LOT more efficient and faster.

But Look closely under the Toyota and the F-150 look closely at the details of how they are put together.

You will see why so many people like the Toyota’s.

If only the ford f150s were made in Japan in the Toyota plant where they make the 4 runner.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The F-150 is definitely better looking, more comfortable, a LOT more efficient and faster.

But Look closely under the Toyota and the F-150 look closely at the details of how they are put together.

If only the ford f150s were made in Japan in the Toyota plant where they make the 4 runner.
My Expedition has just as much attention to details as my Sequoia did. The whole “Toyota” thing from the 80’s is long over. All the big brands build excellent vehicles.

D

Deleted member 9101

JD Powers disagrees:
9465b727_a91e_4835_b4d2_c06638c1d3d7_d22e59a9e23c70c613109a0538fd9cc9c7dbf0b2~2.png
Also, I'll take the F150s fully boxed frame over the Tacomas any day of the week.

Last edited by a moderator:

Toyaddict

It's interesting to compare our fleet GMs to Fords, the Ford engine bays tend to look like 20# of ******** in a 5# bag. Won't keep me from buying another Ford in the future but I wish they were less cluttered.

Maybe that's what @Boatbuilder79 is getting at, he never said reliability just the way it's put together. I usually enjoy modifying or working on something Japanese. I can't say the same for many of the domestics I've worked on or owned. To be fair I hope my 2uzfe never needs a starter, gonna knock on some wood now.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
It's interesting to compare our fleet GMs to Fords, the Ford engine bays tend to look like 20# of **** in a 5# bag. Won't keep me from buying another Ford in the future but I wish they were less cluttered.

Maybe that's what @Boatbuilder79 is getting at, he never said reliability just the way it's put together. I usually enjoy modifying or working on something Japanese. I can't say the same for many of the domestics I've worked on or owned. To be fair I hope my 2uzfe never needs a starter, gonna knock on some wood now.
Ever replace the “pesky” coolant hose on the J80? Yeah even the legendary J80 has stupid stuff. ?

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
It's interesting to compare our fleet GMs to Fords, the Ford engine bays tend to look like 20# of **** in a 5# bag. Won't keep me from buying another Ford in the future but I wish they were less cluttered.

Fords engine area has always been a pita to work in. But much easier now, if you have one of those laydown creeper ladder things that lets you reach everything from the top while laying down.

The 6.2 and 7.3 are cake though, you can reach all the way around the engine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior