Tire experts needed

Capital E

I have a 2019 CTD Ram 3500 single rear wheel. I bought AEV 17"x8.5" rims for it. The guys at my tire shop said this truck requires a tire with a 125Q load and speed rating. In the size I wanted (35x12.50x17) there were only like three options and i ended up buying Toyo MT's because I've heard a lot of good things about them. 8000 miles later I really hate the tires. They are loud, have a few chunks missing, and they really aren't wearing very well. Long story short I'm trying to figure out what to replace them with. I really don't need a mud tire, I do mostly highway miles and tow a 8000 pound camper trailer. I would love a AT tire but can't find anything in that size with the correct rating. It seems like the market only caters to the bros that want to run 20" rims on these trucks. Anybody out there with better search skills than me that can find something besides a mud terrain that will work? TIA

billiebob

You only need the Load Rating to handle the weight of your rig, you don't need a tire rated to the Maximum GVWR if you never load it that heavy. That might open more options.

Capital E

Due to liability they wouldn't sell or install anything that didn't match the rating on the door sticker of the truck. I could probably get creative and figure out how to get somebody to put tires on that don't match the rating but I really don't want to have to mess with it. I feel like there have to be more options out there that I am missing. Am I the only one putting 17" rims on a 3500?

Look at LT sizes, 315/70/17 could open up the possibilities. I went with the Cooper AT3 XLT for my Ram 2500 with AEV 17" rims to replace the Nitto Ridge Grapplers that I was unhappy with.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Everyone's getting picky due to liability from ambulance chasers.
I think the Duragrappler 285-75-17 is the only available tire with the manufacturer's specs.
Small tire stores can probably mount one for you.
I have 35-12.50-17 Toyos and can feel some flex with these beasts. It's a flotation tire coupled even with my popup it's not as stable as I'd like. My friend has same size in Toyo Mt with a 3500# load capacity. He hauls a Lance 820. Doesn't like it and is going to go with 18's next time. I'm going down to an LT next time. High center of gravity cargo has more leverage than a bed full of gravel.

Last edited:

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Look at LT sizes, 315/70/17 could open up the possibilities. I went with the Cooper AT3 XLT for my Ram 2500 with AEV 17" rims to replace the Nitto Ridge Grapplers that I was unhappy with.
What were you unhappy about with the Ridge Grapplers?

Capital E

I haven't been able to find anything in LT sizes either. The Duragrappler is smaller than I want to go and not quite aggressive enough. I really don't want to have to switch to 18" rims but that seems to open up more options. Thanks for the suggestions. Keep them coming.

ttengineer

Adventurer
Find a new tire shop.

The only numbers that matter are the actual listed load rating in pounds.

I run Nitto ridge grapplers in a 37x12.50r17 that have a 3600 lbs load rating. I run the front at 55psi and the rear at 35psi when unloaded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
Find a new tire shop.

The only numbers that matter are the actual listed load rating in pounds.

I run Nitto ridge grapplers in a 37x12.50r17 that have a 3600 lbs load rating. I run the front at 55psi and the rear at 35psi when unloaded.

Ditto, look at the lb rating, not the letter!

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
I'm not an expect, but I do have an opinion.

Stick to something safe for the normal weight of the truck.

Plus you ended up with a tire that I ended up hating too, so that could be part of it as well. I don't get the Toyo MT hype.

Check the actual lbs load rating of the tire some of the d rated tires still have more than enough load rating even though they are not e rated and if they still give you problems find a different tire place to use

McCarthy

Is it riding season yet?
Go up to an 18" wheel. 35x12.50x18 in a Nitto Ridge Grappler is 4000lb/tire (128 load rating)

Darwin

Explorer
Nitto RIdge Grappler is only 2 ply tires(EDIT: Sidewall), so something to be aware of.

Most heavy duty tires for 17" do not come with a very high load range except the 37x13x17 Toyo Mt rated at 4300lbs at 65 psi

I imagine if you wanted to go through with it you could probably sell your 17's pretty easy and step up to an 18" wheel which would allow running tires rated at 4000lbs at 65 psi.

For reference I have a 2018 Ram 3500 and run method NV wheels size 18" and rated at 4,500 lbs per wheel with 37x12.5x18 Falken Wildpeak AT3W tires rated at 4,000 lbs with no lift.

Last edited:

McCarthy

Is it riding season yet?
No. They are an E rated 10 ply tire. No such thing as a two ply. Even a basic passenger tire is a 4 ply.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online