$46,000 Dollar Overland Trailer?

ebrabaek

Adventurer
This is what a hot over priced market gets, first several guys build their own which is great and
unfortunately a few incompetent fabricators jump on the band wagon of instant profit building crap which is not great.

Correct. Mine have not been without trouble as some idiot on the line ground welds thin and a few had tounges break. Kits were mailed out but I just welded a gusset and reinforced mine. Cost $25. As my bare trailer was 5k new it was hard for me to argue that price point. I purchased mine as I really liked how it could be improved or should I say added to and customized. There truly are a trailer for everyone. If you feel that 40k is your ticket then that is awesome, and no one should ever argue that. To each their own.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Not considering one myself, but was curious about the market for them. Judging by the mixed responses to the thread, some feel they are over priced while others find real value in them.

And yet there is a waiting list for them. Some people are waiting several months before they’ll actually pick theirs up. I want to say we waited 1.5months almost 2 months for ours to be ready for pickup.

I know of 2-3 former turtleback owners that made the switch last year as well.

If anyone would like to see one up close and personal and in the colorado area, let me know. Ive already shown mine to 2 potential buyers who not long after getting a 2hr tour of ours, signed the paperwork to buy their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kowboy

Adventurer
… some feel they are over priced while others find real value in them.

Gener'ly speakin' … as with all expensive thangs in life … those that can comfortably afford the item, and own one, will find value in that item. Those that can't comfortably afford the item will feel the item's overpriced. Just human nature.

That applies to this trailer, an EarthRoamer, a Lamborghini, even a Rolex watch, etc. etc.

With that said, reality is that this here trailer's a helluva lot of money to be sleepin' in a tent. That's the bottom line. 'Specially when towin' it with a stock rig right off the showroom floor that can't come anywhere near actu'ly utilizin' the off-road capabilities of the trailer. Just don't make sense to me.

But to each his own. Carry on ...

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Gener'ly speakin' … as with all expensive thangs in life … those that can comfortably afford the item, and own one, will find value in that item. Those that can't comfortably afford the item will feel the item's overpriced. Just human nature.

That applies to this trailer, an EarthRoamer, a Lamborghini, even a Rolex watch, etc. etc.

With that said, reality is that this here trailer's a helluva lot of money to be sleepin' in a tent. That's the bottom line. 'Specially when towin' it with a stock rig right off the showroom floor that can't come anywhere near actu'ly utilizin' the off-road capabilities of the trailer. Just don't make sense to me.

But to each his own. Carry on ...

Other than different tires and wheels, (one of our tow vehicles), the wife’s ‘18 grand cherokee trailhawk is stock and has been very capable on trails thus far. Ran 6-7 passes down in Telluride/Ouray area this past summer and was able to get the trailer into an area that only high clearance suvs were going with their RTT or ground tents.

Other tow vehicle is ‘17 f150 supercrew, 6” lift, 35s. I don’t tow the trailer with my built wrangler.

So we’re one of those families that most definitely takes advantage of the trailers off-road capability.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Not considering one myself, but was curious about the market for them. Judging by the mixed responses to the thread, some feel they are over priced while others find real value in them.
The biggest Economic failure being watched like its the Corona Virus is debt owed on depreciating items. Auto companies are offering cash for cash deals to reduce their financing exposure. For toys like these most people are likely using line of credit on their home. Yes they likely will owe more than its worth at the next economic crash. Sound familiar?
Some people do pay cash for toys / vehicles etc but not many.

Our Ford dealer we bought from in September 2019 is surrounded by 1million+ dollar homes sells 280ish vehicles a month small main st family owned shop. The manager told me surprisingly they only see 2-3 cash deals a month. We were cash deal and Ford kicked in $2300 that was in addition to our negotiated $9000 off.
Only debt I carry are property loans which are combined less than the current value of any one property I have.

yeah we ran a tight budget and bought used kids clothes hell still do. But today we can easily retire when my Youngest is in High School.

Would I buy one? No. Rent one? Yeah I would.
Do I have expensive toys? Yeah a 30ft Sailboat its been paid for from day one 14yrs ago and we sail yr around here. Even my camping is seasonal with limited use hence why we own a sailboat and not an RV lol. RV would be cheaper tho. Hell a Porsche 911 4S would be cheaper but you can’t go sailing and have an entire Bay to your self with whales in a RV or 911 with a 30min trip from the house.

Last edited:

luthj

Engineer In Residence
To be fair, ford has offered some great financing deals. My brother bought a brand new F150 a few years ago. Could have paid cash, but the financing incentive with 0% interest was an option. So he put the $$$$$ in a couple investment properties with good yield, and will make 20% return while he is making zero interest payments on the truck. When the interest kicks in he will just pay down the balance with a single check.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
To be fair, ford has offered some great financing deals. My brother bought a brand new F150 a few years ago. Could have paid cash, but the financing incentive with 0% interest was an option. So he put the $$$$$ in a couple investment properties with good yield, and will make 20% return while he is making zero interest payments on the truck. When the interest kicks in he will just pay down the balance with a single check.
They still offer 0% loans but today they offer cash for cash. They do this to make cash deals interesting. In 2016 we did 0% loan on my wifes car paid it off in 2 yrs. There was zero incentive to pay cash.

mudraider

Adventurer
I think it really depends on what you want.
The earthroamers can get to 3/4 mill.
I have 10k in my off road trailer that will do just about anything the 40k will..... I am super stoked with my 10k unit and are going on the 4th year....and I am sure that patriot owners are every bit as happy. As are the earthromers as well.
That being said, how much time do you have invested in your 10k trailer. Multiply those hours by your wage, how much is that 10k trailer at now? Then as a business, add in shop overhead, equipment overhead, materials overhead, oh yeah, and you need to pay your workers overhead. That's how a 10k trailer ends up costing $46k

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

CampStewart

Observer
Not to you maybe. But the guy making $250k a year working 70+hours a week who wants to take his kid out like his father did it is.

If you make big money and want to take your kid out camping throw a sleeping bag and some pots and pans in the back of your Rover or Bentley and let the kid learn about camping not gadgets.

ttengineer

Adventurer
Not to you maybe. But the guy making $250k a year working 70+hours a week who wants to take his kid out like his father did it is.

Funny, I make that. And also take my son out when I can. But still think it’s too much for what it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles