Project: Blanco, The 2007 F350 Standard Cab Adventure Truck

shellb

Adventurer
Brilliant truck! Will be following along like I always do!

I have a 05 super cab 6.0 with nearly zero options like yours. Such a fun truck.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Tonight's mini-mod is the best $13 I have spent in a long time.

I found this little gizmo on Amazon for like $13 with 2-day shipping on prime during a lighting deal. It is $20 normally, still totally worth it.

I wanted a quick and simple way to 'modernize' the oem AM/FM head unit in this truck. I honestly love how simple it is, but it is amazing how much technology you can cram in a little gadget like this. This little guy plugs into your 12V cigarette lighter port and provides a bluetooth to FM radio interface for your phone ( or tablet ). All this works pretty well and seamless. Once the phone pairs with the unit all the phone audio output is ported to the radio speakers just like the modern stereo in many vehicles. I like having navigation available from my phone. The added bonus is that this unit also has the ability to play MP3s directly from a microSD card inserted directly into the unit ( and also a USB stick if you want ). That is a nice feature when you just don't want to worry about pairing your phone.

There are two USB power ports integrated into the unit, and it isn't much larger than a normal USB power adapter.

The unit also has some basic controls for the phone/music functions so you don't have to have access to the phone directly. It can just stay in your pocket if you are doing short trips. I am pretty sure the unit has a built in microphone so you don't have to rely on the phone mic for calls.

The only real downside so far is that it seems BOTH 12V plugs are constant hot. I should probably unplug it to keep it from draining the battery. I need to look at repowering the plug with switched power.

I am pretty sure I will do something more permanent in the future, maybe even a android or pie based tablet system in the stock dash hole. I just REALLY have to have some manual controls like a real volume knob. I would also like to add a wireless charging cradle for my phone. I really hate having to plug and unplug the phone to charge......

Last edited:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Minute-mod ( fix ) on the truck tonight....

I had one 'droopy' vent on the passenger side that just wouldn't stay in any position. It was annoying as I couldn't help defrost the passenger side window.

One of those little little round felt feet with the adhesive back was just the right size to slip on the side of the vent. I just wedge the screwdrive in there a little to give me some space. Sticky side was to the dash part ( I figured it won't get as warm ).

Once inserted the the felt provides a nice bit of resistance to the vent like normal.
Now the vent can help do it's job....

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Any update? How are you liking the truck.

Mine grows on me everyday!

Overall I really like it. It is nice to just have a good ol' working truck again. The complete lack of most 'modern' things in a 2007 truck still trips me out....no power locks, manual windows, bench seat, etc. I could dump thousands into the truck and spend months custom fabricating stuff for it. I probably will at some point, but right now I have too many other projects ahead of it in line. It doesn't really 'need' anything at this point and that is nice. I could jump in and go anywhere to haul about anything I want. That was the root use for this truck in the beginning, and it does that well.

shellb

Adventurer
I’m really happy to hear that, I completely agree!

I have A/C and cruise control as my only two real “luxuries” outside of the power stroke.

To your point, it just does basic truck things and it’s refreshing.

Plus all the kids get totally pumped up for the crank windows...”so cool!”

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I had to special order my truck from Dave Smith as there were no regcabs,with manual and 5.9 Cummins in the whole southwest.
Aside from our smallish boxer Bogarting the seat the standard cab works fine. Best of luck.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Has anyone watching ever added the factory trailer brake controller package? The controller in the truck now is just in a very annoying position close to the drivers right shin. I can't seem to find a better place to put it....

shellb

Adventurer
Has anyone watching ever added the factory trailer brake controller package? The controller in the truck now is just in a very annoying position close to the drivers right shin. I can't seem to find a better place to put it....

The upfitter switches are plug and play, so I’m guessing the trailer brake would be the same?

Let me know if you want me to take some detailed pictures of mine.

jwpnrp

The wiring is usually all there...

The 2007 bodybuilder guide has good info on trailer wiring starting about page 273...

Best to pull the blank panel / cubby and double-check brake controller connector connector is in dash and check behind bumper to make sure all trailer circuits / connector is there. Some times fuses and/or relays need to be installed In underhood trailer tow relay box. GEM / module body controller may need programming update to recognize trailer brake controller. A good ford commercial / fleet truck dealer should be able to run your VIN and get you pretty accurate information for your specific VIN ( as usual a lot of it depends on the person looking up the information : - )

If you want to send me your VIN I can probably have it run, not likely to be too quick though : - )

L3TT3RS

@pooping_outside
hell yes. i needed more goodness in my life....long time lurker in your threads. heavy breathing and all....

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
The wiring is usually all there...

The 2007 bodybuilder guide has good info on trailer wiring starting about page 273...

Best to pull the blank panel / cubby and double-check brake controller connector connector is in dash and check behind bumper to make sure all trailer circuits / connector is there. Some times fuses and/or relays need to be installed In underhood trailer tow relay box. GEM / module body controller may need programming update to recognize trailer brake controller. A good ford commercial / fleet truck dealer should be able to run your VIN and get you pretty accurate information for your specific VIN ( as usual a lot of it depends on the person looking up the information : - )

If you want to send me your VIN I can probably have it run, not likely to be too quick though : - )

I did a little more digging....

It looks like all the wiring in there.

The master cylinder is actually different for the factory trailer brake controller option ( bad )
I guess it has a few pressure switch ports in it?

All the parts are still available new.

You do need to have the BCM reworked by ford to 'turn on' that option.
This seems to be a dealer only thing?

Price seems to be about 500-600+ if I do the work myself

TwinDuro

Very cool truck Metcalf and for sure, a great combination of parts from the factory. I've often thought that this generation of Superdutys are the best looking standard-cab/long bed combo out there. You also can't beat 16mpg unloaded...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier