New Defender News

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I was really hoping that this thread would remain centered on exciting news of the new Defender. The reliability question has been discussed ad nauseam in the Rage/hate thread.

Maybe I should move these last postings over there.

Done - please go to this thread if you still have energy left to discuss Land Rover reliability

A.J.M

Explorer
On good news.
Imagine that in this thread... :p

LR have been letting local NHS and other essential staff members get access to the new Defenders to use during this outbreak.

a nice gesture that will likely be very welcomed as we try to fight this virus.

naks

Review from an Oz off-road mag: https://www.unsealed4x4.com.au/does-the-all-new-defender-suck-we-drive-it-in-namibia-to-find-out/

"Where The All-New Defender Stands Out
When the terrain gets rough, the 2020 Land Rover Defender rides better than any other stock 4WD I’ve tested, over almost any surface. It’s better than segment competitors like the Jeep Wrangler with its softly-sprung solid axles, and it’s even better than the desert-bashing Ford Raptor and its three-inch diameter Fox internal-bypass shocks. ...

That impressive ride quality sets the rest of the tone for the all-new Defender—it’s perhaps the most-comfortable way to travel off-road in mildly technical terrain. Performance over undulating boulders and rocks is impressive, with the suspension reacting hundreds of times per second to the current conditions. The Defender is nothing less than surefooted and inspires confidence in everyone from the most-novice weekend warrior to the professional off-road driver; though those with more experience may find the driving experience a bit more “digital” than they’re used to. ...

Where We’re Concerned
Historically speaking, Land Rover doesn’t have the best reputation for reliability, but it is important to know that aside from a few pre-production issues I experienced, the Defenders I personally drove in Namibia gave me zero reason for concern. Reliability on the other hand is something that has to be earned with time, so I cannot comment on that. It is worth noting that as a brand Land Rover is much more reliable than it used to be, currently echoing the golden era of reliability for Toyota, according to America’ Consumer Reports. ...

Proving Its Mettle (Dirt Road Performance)
... On a closed course section of Namibia’s finest corrugated gravel, we were cruising near triple-digit speeds while having a casual conversation about our jet lag; at which point we decided it was best to slow down as neither of us could tell an Oryx from a Kudu, and when they say road hazards are real in Africa—they mean it. The speed and comfort in which you’re able to cover ground in the all-new Defender is unprecedented. Modern day explorers who find themselves on rugged dirt roads in the middle of nowhere more than they do the Rubicon Trail need to take note of the Defender. Hands-down, it’s the most comfortable way of getting from A to B in the backcountry.

Van Zyl’s Pass (Technical Terrain Performance)
... The Defender’s traction control is class-leading, minimally intrusive, and quick to react, thanks to the the now customisable Terrain Response system that allows you adjust everything from steering feel to throttle sensitivity. Sure, you can’t go and tell the system to completely lock your differentials, but in my opinion, that binary school of thought is out-dated. What if I don’t want my differential completely locked because I want to be able wiggle my way through obstacles and actually be able to turn? ...

Within less than a hundredth of a single wheel rotation, the Defender’s traction control system was able to apply brake pressure to prevent wheel spin and enable traction on the more challenging sections of Van Zyl’s Pass. Terrain Response communicates with the suspension which is capable of both cross-linking the airbags to allow it to function as if it had a solid beam axle—another reason the Defender is so sure-footed.

Overall, the Defender exceeded my expectations on technical terrain, but let’s be realistic, if you’re buying a new vehicle for the sole purpose of turning it into a rock crawler, you’re going to, and should, buy a Jeep Wrangler. If you’re an explorer who doesn’t want to turn back when the going gets rough, then the Defender is all aces.

Skeleton Coast (Mud, Water, Sand)
... You couldn’t imagine a worse environment for a pre-production vehicle, especially a Land Rover Defender. Dust. Mud. Sand. Water over the hood. Repeat. We would be wearing all of them in triplicate had we been in a classic Defender. We must have had over a hundred water crossings that day, and let me tell you that the Defender didn’t have a single issue. Sure, we had to pull out the winch, we had multiple tire failures, and we lodged a rock in the brake caliper. But it was real four-wheel driving—this is the kind of stuff that is supposed to happen. ...

Frankly, I’m surprised we made it through them all, the Defender really has the capability of putting power down in a controlled way that few other vehicles can match.

Somewhere in the Hoarusib River Canyon, a place I never thought I’d be, driving a vehicle I never thought I’d see, the all-new Defender finally made sense to me. It isn’t supposed to be a replacement for its former self. It’s supposed to be an all-new vehicle for an all new world—for an all-new buyer.

The only thing that remains the same? There’s no finer way to travel the world than behind the wheel of a Land Rover Defender.

Should You Buy It?
If it turns out to be reliable, I can’t think of a vehicle I’d rather take on a legitimate expedition. It is powerful, comfortable, and depending on the engine selected, economical. While there are more time-tested vehicles available, none would be able to get the job done with a better balance of efficiency, safety, and comfort, while carrying more than anything else in its segment."

REDROVER

Explorer
My opinion will be all over Craig’s list under mechanics special tag in a couple of years.

If you give free vehicle to any organization they will take it,
Now ask them to buy and see what they buy.
Article doesn’t mean anything about vehicles quality.

Scott Brady

Founder
My opinion will be all over Craig’s list under mechanics special tag in a couple of years.

We have purchased many Land Rovers through the years. In fact, I have personally acquired nine Land Rovers, several of them new.

1986 Defender 110 Diesel (still have)
1987 Range Rover Classic
1995 Discovery
1995 Range Rover Classic
2001 Discovery II
2004 Discovery II with 300tdi (still have)
2007 Range Rover MKIII (still have)
2012 LR4 (corp lease)
2015 Range Rover

Unfortunately, the uninitiated will bundle all Land Rovers together in the same scope of reliability. To compare a P38 with a RTW 300tdi 110 is to be ignorant of the facts. All of my modern Land Rovers have been near flawless. The LR4 and 2015 Range Rover were 100% flawless. The 2007 required one airbag (slow leak) and a thermostat.

Land Rovers have improved significantly, but we do acknowledge that they lag the very best in the segment (i.e. Land Cruiser). However, it is no longer a reason not to own one. With the improvements in quality, now you might want to own a big body Range Rover with a diesel (something you can buy in the USA). It just becomes part of the decision set. When I am crossing Antarctica or Greenland, darn right I want a Toyota, but to go explore Southern Africa, or Chile and Argentina, I loved driving around a Defender. I circumnavigated Iceland in the dead of winter solo in a 110 and it was 100% ok.
1040536_10154421124078275_4834764505724983910_o.jpg

nickw

Adventurer
Review from an Oz off-road mag: https://www.unsealed4x4.com.au/does-the-all-new-defender-suck-we-drive-it-in-namibia-to-find-out/

"Where The All-New Defender Stands Out
When the terrain gets rough, the 2020 Land Rover Defender rides better than any other stock 4WD I’ve tested, over almost any surface. It’s better than segment competitors like the Jeep Wrangler with its softly-sprung solid axles, and it’s even better than the desert-bashing Ford Raptor and its three-inch diameter Fox internal-bypass shocks. ...

That impressive ride quality sets the rest of the tone for the all-new Defender—it’s perhaps the most-comfortable way to travel off-road in mildly technical terrain. Performance over undulating boulders and rocks is impressive, with the suspension reacting hundreds of times per second to the current conditions. The Defender is nothing less than surefooted and inspires confidence in everyone from the most-novice weekend warrior to the professional off-road driver; though those with more experience may find the driving experience a bit more “digital” than they’re used to. ...

Where We’re Concerned
Historically speaking, Land Rover doesn’t have the best reputation for reliability, but it is important to know that aside from a few pre-production issues I experienced, the Defenders I personally drove in Namibia gave me zero reason for concern. Reliability on the other hand is something that has to be earned with time, so I cannot comment on that. It is worth noting that as a brand Land Rover is much more reliable than it used to be, currently echoing the golden era of reliability for Toyota, according to America’ Consumer Reports. ...

Proving Its Mettle (Dirt Road Performance)
... On a closed course section of Namibia’s finest corrugated gravel, we were cruising near triple-digit speeds while having a casual conversation about our jet lag; at which point we decided it was best to slow down as neither of us could tell an Oryx from a Kudu, and when they say road hazards are real in Africa—they mean it. The speed and comfort in which you’re able to cover ground in the all-new Defender is unprecedented. Modern day explorers who find themselves on rugged dirt roads in the middle of nowhere more than they do the Rubicon Trail need to take note of the Defender. Hands-down, it’s the most comfortable way of getting from A to B in the backcountry.

Van Zyl’s Pass (Technical Terrain Performance)
... The Defender’s traction control is class-leading, minimally intrusive, and quick to react, thanks to the the now customisable Terrain Response system that allows you adjust everything from steering feel to throttle sensitivity. Sure, you can’t go and tell the system to completely lock your differentials, but in my opinion, that binary school of thought is out-dated. What if I don’t want my differential completely locked because I want to be able wiggle my way through obstacles and actually be able to turn? ...

Within less than a hundredth of a single wheel rotation, the Defender’s traction control system was able to apply brake pressure to prevent wheel spin and enable traction on the more challenging sections of Van Zyl’s Pass. Terrain Response communicates with the suspension which is capable of both cross-linking the airbags to allow it to function as if it had a solid beam axle—another reason the Defender is so sure-footed.

Overall, the Defender exceeded my expectations on technical terrain, but let’s be realistic, if you’re buying a new vehicle for the sole purpose of turning it into a rock crawler, you’re going to, and should, buy a Jeep Wrangler. If you’re an explorer who doesn’t want to turn back when the going gets rough, then the Defender is all aces.

Skeleton Coast (Mud, Water, Sand)
... You couldn’t imagine a worse environment for a pre-production vehicle, especially a Land Rover Defender. Dust. Mud. Sand. Water over the hood. Repeat. We would be wearing all of them in triplicate had we been in a classic Defender. We must have had over a hundred water crossings that day, and let me tell you that the Defender didn’t have a single issue. Sure, we had to pull out the winch, we had multiple tire failures, and we lodged a rock in the brake caliper. But it was real four-wheel driving—this is the kind of stuff that is supposed to happen. ...

Frankly, I’m surprised we made it through them all, the Defender really has the capability of putting power down in a controlled way that few other vehicles can match.

Somewhere in the Hoarusib River Canyon, a place I never thought I’d be, driving a vehicle I never thought I’d see, the all-new Defender finally made sense to me. It isn’t supposed to be a replacement for its former self. It’s supposed to be an all-new vehicle for an all new world—for an all-new buyer.

The only thing that remains the same? There’s no finer way to travel the world than behind the wheel of a Land Rover Defender.

Should You Buy It?
If it turns out to be reliable, I can’t think of a vehicle I’d rather take on a legitimate expedition. It is powerful, comfortable, and depending on the engine selected, economical. While there are more time-tested vehicles available, none would be able to get the job done with a better balance of efficiency, safety, and comfort, while carrying more than anything else in its segment."
Great review and echos what Scott and others have said....

nickw

Adventurer

It's easy to throw rocks but fully expect we won't hear a peep from you if / when you are wrong....

JeepColorado

It's an interesting comparison- the D90 is still $11K more, but if you are already paying $50+ for a 2-door 4x4 maybe that extra $ amount every month is worth it to get the extras the D90 has and to have something that's a lot more unique than a 2 Door Wrangler.

nickw

Adventurer

It's an interesting comparison- the D90 is still $11K more, but if you are already paying $50+ for a 2-door 4x4 maybe that extra $ amount every month is worth it to get the extras the D90 has and to have something that's a lot more unique than a 2 Door Wrangler.
They touch on it in that article, but the "first edition" D90 is quite a bit more than what you'll eventually find in the base spec, 4-cyl. I bet it will be right about where that Jeep is, mid $50's all said....with air sus, heated seats, offroad package and several of the off-road goodies...

As @JackW stated, I would love to see more operational reviews of the 4-Cyl. If the 4-Cyl is as capable under 80% of the loaded specs for overloading it by definition makes the 110 with 4-cyl the likely choice for those not wanting to pay a $12k upgrade or wait around for the possibility of the diesel in the NAS market.

Would be nice to see what exact vehicles if any difference were on these rallies and what powerplant differences if any from LR to show that they are either comparable or not for the same adventure as the one sitting next to it.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
They touch on it in that article, but the "first edition" D90 is quite a bit more than what you'll eventually find in the base spec, 4-cyl. I bet it will be right about where that Jeep is, mid $50's all said....with air sus, heated seats, offroad package and several of the off-road goodies...
If I'm not mistaken and I vary well could be, I think the 90 will only be available in the US with the 6-cyn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior