New Defender Rage/Hate Thread

nickw

Adventurer
Different use profiles. Defender is more off-road focused than your examples. Tire profile is less important on trucks where towing and hauling is key. LCs are rare and expensive mall crawlers these days. GX is a luxury product. While I'd still prefer the smaller wheel on a pickup, at least they have much longer wheelbases, larger tire wells, and the power to turn relatively larger tires if one wants their sidewall back.
But....but, you can list exceptions all day....

Don't forget the ZR2 that gets accolades for it's offroad prowess is on 65's, with smaller overall tire diameter and less power than the Defender....

EricTyrrell

Expo God
But....but, you can list exceptions all day....

Don't forget the ZR2 that gets accolades for it's offroad prowess is on 65's, with smaller overall tire diameter and less power than the Defender....

.. and on 17" wheels, an advantage in several aspects.

nickw

Adventurer
.. and on 17" wheels, an advantage in several aspects.
Turn clock back several years and it was 17's folks were moaning about...same sob story. I agree that smaller is an advantage in some situations, but again, the premise that because it has 19's or even 20's, with 60-65 aspect ratio tires, and it isn't suitable offroad because of that is laughable....

EricTyrrell

Expo God
Turn clock back several years and it was 17's folks were moaning about...same sob story. I agree that smaller is an advantage in some situations, but again, the premise that because it has 19's or even 20's, with 60-65 aspect ratio tires, and it isn't suitable offroad because of that is laughable....

In 10 years you'll be saying 50-55 tires are acceptable, and 10 years later you'll be parroting whatever else they want to you believe. However, I agree in a way, that LR and others don't have much incentive to deliver on proven off-road design principals, since so few use them as intended advertised.

nickw

Adventurer
In 10 years you'll be saying 50-55 tires are acceptable, and 10 years later you'll be parroting whatever else they want to you believe. However, I agree in a way, that LR and others don't have much incentive to deliver on proven off-road design principals, since so few use them as intended advertised.
Proven off-road design principals are changing yearly....you think they got it right in 1980?

REDROVER

Explorer
90s was the perfect time for 4x4s

If new defender is as reliable as LR4, then it’s gonna be game changer.
The other little crap can always be upgraded.

A friend of mine is waiting to pic up His new defender.
I bought him a highlift Jack just as a decoration because there’s nowhere he can use it on a defender?

@REDROVER He can use the tire lift hook which I actually love and is one of my go-to choices for dig-outs and I prefer it for tire changes. It forces me to put my frame block under the truck and not rely on the Hi-Lift to support the vehicle.

Might be overkill but for me; when the Hi-Lift comes out and nobody is shooting at me, I prefer to take my time and do myself the safety right.

Tell him to buy the tire lift hook strap and put it on his new jack on the Defender roof rack; he can be the first one to scratch the rack with your paid for kit! lol

DorB

Adventurer
So per my previous question, 60 - 70 aspect ratio is common these days, even on the Land Cruiser, GX, Tacomas, 1 ton pickups etc....but somehow is a show stopper on the LR?
60 is low.
When off road tires went low as 65 you could somehow swallow the pill, but it crawled down to 60 and even 55 in LR.

You’ll have a true fifficulty airing down, and finding quality off-road worthy tires.
Especially out of the big urban centers.
In case of tire failure, I’m wandering if you could find such tire in back country Namibia.. or even the back country in most countries.

The problem is that these vehicles are so complex, you cannot use a different rim due caliper clearance, tires or diameter differences.

Non such issue with other vehicles.

And yes,
If LR created an impressive off-road oriented SUV, I would have expected a company with such deep roots in true off road vehicles (101, and other platforms) to attend to that matter.

REDROVER

Explorer
Haha that’s true, I guess now I have to buy the tire hook,
Dam new defender is already costing me money?
By the way that tire lift attachment is absolutely awesome, and must have item.
I have been doing trials and it works great even on big ass hummer.

I am scared of hilift jack in general, but lifting the tire and putting maxtracks underneath the tire will get you out of most predicaments.

B23E2A03-A3FE-4DA3-9DD9-4CD03D26C921.jpegEA2AF1F7-FAE1-4377-A3BD-B40B02ADF306.jpeg

Last edited:
I love the lift strap over anything else and feel it is one of the, if the, most safe operation of the Hi-Lift. I have a 4x10 wood beam cutoff (about 18" long I think) I use in the back of the truck for a jack platform in soft areas at times and for a jack-stand in soft areas as it provides such large surface area and stability. If I need to get the MaxTrax under the wheels or just get the wheels on high ground again, I use the beam laying flat as a base; even in mud and soft sand it works perfect for a solid base under the Hi-Lift.

In a tire change scenario, I use the 4x10 beam cutoff to set under the A-Arm when I jack the wheel up; again, the stability it provides is far greater than a jack stand in soft areas. I use the lift strap to get the blow-out wheel off the ground; the spare then goes under the frame and the 4x10 beam under the A-Arm (dual collapse safety). I then set the vehicle down on the beam as a jack stand to remove the Hi-Lift, and use it as a secondary support on the bumper, hit the lugs with the Milwaukee 18v impact, swap the spare and blowout under the frame, get the lugs back on and install the Hi-lift and complete the process in reverse order. The lift strap was a great addition to my kit many years ago and the tire change process has been my go-to safe operation for years and how I train others to do it. Will not work on solid split-rim steelies but I would expect it to work on the new Defender steelies so let us know.

My beam option works under the frame or under the A-Arm and the spare goes either place too; just depends on terrain and preference.

Happy you are dumping your well earned cash into someone else's new Defender; better be careful, you might be getting in line for one if you like it too much! hahaha

Here is one of the Nigeria NGO Team Members working tire changes during off-road mobility training prior to heading back to Africa.

Getting her Hi-Lift safety refresher and then she's on her own. One thing I've learned and teach with the lift strap is to butt the Hi-Lift base to the outboard edge of the tire before you start putting lifting force on the jack; doing this ensures the jack stays almost completely vertical and will not slip out or push the vehicle in a lateral motion. Notice the position of the base plate; it is about 1/2"-1" max away from the tire before jacking! Put the base in the same spot when lowering it and ka-boom, you're donski!
Screen Shot 2020-04-21 at 1.59.42 AM.png

She places the jack under the bumper with holding pressure once the jack-stand is stable and before the wheel comes off. At this point, the jack is a secondary safety mechanism only.
Screen Shot 2020-04-21 at 1.49.05 AM.png

Back to new Defenders; I'm sure some on here can't wait to see a new Defender on a jack someday soon! :ROFLMAO: :D

Last edited:

DieselRanger

Jeep still uses stand alone headlights, not overly complicatred plastic pieces fully integrated into the body, you know, for styling.
Who cares if you never have to replace them?

This vehcile doesn't need a V8 TD.
Land Rover won't offer one, but it would be awesome if it did.

A truck CAN exist with coil springs, solid axles, a manual trans, tcase, hubs, windows and locks, lockers, mechanical HVAC controls simple radio, and simpler classic styling and STILL meet all crash and safety standards and also cruise 80mph down the hiway with the AC on.
Certainly, but nobody would buy one, and then Land Rover would go out of business.

DieselRanger

OBTW, this is what I get to when I try configure a Rubicon Recon. I'm not even done yet - was hoping to option in the new EcoDiesel, but there's no way to do that. Skipped all the extra cost paint and interior options other than the infotainment.

1587480479034.png

onemanarmy

Explorer
Who cares if you never have to replace them?

Land Rover won't offer one, but it would be awesome if it did.

Certainly, but nobody would buy one, and then Land Rover would go out of business.

Nobody, in the ENTIRE world, would buy one? Quite the statement, and incorrect. Even the 2wd unibody Freelander sold.
JLR would go out of biz?
The truck would have OPTIONS of choosing up or down in luxuries.

onemanarmy

Explorer
OBTW, this is what I get to when I try configure a Rubicon Recon. I'm not even done yet - was hoping to option in the new EcoDiesel, but there's no way to do that. Skipped all the extra cost paint and interior options other than the infotainment.

View attachment 580918

And?
I can get a base model, 4wd, 4 door, 6 speed manual, soft top, with rear limited slip for $30,418. Auto is $2750 more.
What is the top price for a fully loaded D90 and D110?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94