New Defender Rage/Hate Thread

nickw

Adventurer

The Defender proves it's off-road worthiness!!!..A lot of off-camber situations, deep water and mud!!!

I'm kidding- the off-camber situations are all on concrete, the deep water is in a pit with a gravel bottom, although there is one really legitimate muddy hill- I'll let you guess how the Defender does :)
Thanks for sharing.....probably about the same as any rig TBH....that is where some narrow aggressive tiers would do really well.

Gotta love the music

DieselRanger

The Defender proves it's off-road worthiness!!!..A lot of off-camber situations, deep water and mud!!!

I'm kidding- the off-camber situations are all on concrete, the deep water is in a pit with a gravel bottom, although there is one really legitimate muddy hill- I'll let you guess how the Defender does :)
The mud comes down to tires...while the Wrangler All Terrain Adventure tires are great on loose rock, gravel, dirt the tread is too tight for the slick peanut butter mud they were in...you can see the tread didn't clear when they were spinning the tires. The optional DuraTracs would have done better.

I noted the D5 was leading the Defender... ?

JeepColorado

The mud comes down to tires...while the Wrangler All Terrain Adventure tires are great on loose rock, gravel, dirt the tread is too tight for the slick peanut butter mud they were in...you can see the tread didn't clear when they were spinning the tires. The optional DuraTracs would have done better.

I noted the D5 was leading the Defender... ?

I'd agree...different tires and it'd be a different outcome. Couldn't see the back passenger tire, but the other 3 were at full spin- some knobby tires would have put it up the hill. The blue one is gorgeous, a black top would be perfect.

The "you don't want technology" people on here who say that anyone who wants the Defender to be rugged long for the stone ages are advancing a straw man argument. There's nothing wrong with leveraging technology- what's exciting is when a company keeps incorporating new technology into a platform that is firmly rooted in the original soul of the vehicle- what made it great in the first place. And I don't mean staying rooted in it's soul in a superficial, appearance is all that matters, fake diamond-plate sticker kind of a way that adorns the hood of the current Pretender. I mean in a current Wrangler or G-Wagon way- both of those companies- one a high-volume entry level- to medium price point 4x4 company whose vehicle today still passes more than a striking resemblance to the original from 70 years ago all the way to as luxury as you can afford G-Wagon. Both of them showed LR how to do it, but Gerry and his team of fashion designers couldn't help themselves so we ended up where we are. I can't wait for the LC 300 to come up and provide further proof of how LR swung and missed. All the Defender had to do was be at least as capable as a Wrangler, it's not, be at least as reliable as a Toyota, that'd be a first, or as retro-modern as a G-Wagon- and I'd see a place for it- a niche it could carve out to say here's my piece of the market. It hasn't done that- The Defender didn't have to be all of those things, any one of them would have given legitimacy and it appears to have fallen in all categories. The world didn't need another decently capable, rides nice, nod to 4x4s that's basically a rugged cross-over. Once the Bronco comes out, the new LC 300 and what that will mean for the Lexus GX- all come on stage- the Defender sinks further and further into the oblivion of mediocrity no different than the Discovery did.

LOL on the comment of medium priced 4x4 and I hope that was not in the G-Wagon comments cuz they sell for $84k AUS and only the commercial and mil-spec versions are priced differently. G-Wagons in a commercial spec don't compare to anything like they used to and mostly only are alive due to military contracts. If I am not mistaken, LR has not released any specs or costs on the commercial Defender so we shall see what the cost is going to be on the end but G-Wagons start at $84k and go up to somewhere north of $135k............looks similar, performs not even close to reliability numbers as an OG G-Wagon of yesteryear.

Yeah, all of those were not even with the GY Duratracs and street tires.

Still propped up on the couch waiting to find a Jeep promo video that does this kind of stuff. I'll put the Defender on street tires up against the Wrangler Sport and even Rubicon on those same tracks and see who comes out on top. Sport will be hung up with almost zero ground clearance and street tires and long wheel base. Rubicon gets the factory lift and tires and lockers just like the Defender and let's see what happens. Again, two separate vehicles and missions; one talks global exploration and shows it, the other is still selling all their vehicles off what a couple Jeeps do on a 20 mile Rubicon trail.

Like the Navy selling recruiting videos and using nothing but Seal videos...............Just my two cents.

JeepColorado

LOL on the comment of medium priced 4x4 and I hope that was not in the G-Wagon comments cuz they sell for $84k AUS and only the commercial and mil-spec versions are priced differently. G-Wagons in a commercial spec don't compare to anything like they used to and mostly only are alive due to military contracts. If I am not mistaken, LR has not released any specs or costs on the commercial Defender so we shall see what the cost is going to be on the end but G-Wagons start at $84k and go up to somewhere north of $135k............looks similar, performs not even close to reliability numbers as an OG G-Wagon of yesteryear.

Yeah, all of those were not even with the GY Duratracs and street tires.

Still propped up on the couch waiting to find a Jeep promo video that does this kind of stuff. I'll put the Defender on street tires up against the Wrangler Sport and even Rubicon on those same tracks and see who comes out on top. Sport will be hung up with almost zero ground clearance and street tires and long wheel base. Rubicon gets the factory lift and tires and lockers just like the Defender and let's see what happens. Again, two separate vehicles and missions; one talks global exploration and shows it, the other is still selling all their vehicles off what a couple Jeeps do on a 20 mile Rubicon trail.

Like the Navy selling recruiting videos and using nothing but Seal videos...............Just my two cents.

The video below sure beats the concrete-laden track of a well-manicured proving grounds or the wet gravel roads of an estate- I'll be waiting for your video of a modern LR doing anything close to the below.

REDROVER

Explorer
I wonder who did that cute concrete obstacle course,
I want him to do some concrete work on my driveway,
you think if I call Land Rover North America they will have the contractors number ?

Honestly Land Rover should be ashamed to show that kind of obstacle course as part of the fake campaign.
As I said before, streets of downtown LA have more Challenging obstacles than that concrete mall they were driving on.

they went from this kind of awesome commercial to Boring, fake, unattractive commercial just like the new defender itself is.

Last edited:
Love that vid, also, not on stock wheels and like nobody has been through that patch before in the 60 takes it took to get that 20 second 2 million dollar Super Bowl commercial spot.

Don't mistake me for someone who is not a Jeep fan; I love them and do not compare them in the same class and I won't. I have tons of miles in Jeeps and love them; no desire to overland one cuz they suck getting to the trail, ride like ******** on most of the trail, and Jeep's 1.5 dimensional greatness does not fit my purpose or need for a 3 dimensional overland vehicle.

20 sec video does not compare to the Namibia run; not even a fraction of it and much of the crew was probably fly fishing during the six day photo shoot to catch that sweet shot.

Watchout, the Jeep guys are offended! lol.

Again you guys are saying LR is fd up for making promo videos and manicured stuff to sell; Jeep does a 15 second video for a Super Bowl add which costs how much; and nobody is claiming marketing schemes and ploys on Jeep? Just keep it in the lanes of fairness is all I'm saying.

Here's a real river crossing, not a stream! Of course this was surely manicured with pavement under it and probably grip tape to get the Defender over it without 35" tires and Mud Terrains.......

Defender River Crossing

I wonder who did that cute concrete obstacle course,
I want him to do some concrete work on my driveway,
you think if I call Land Rover North America they will have the contractors number ?

Honestly Land Rover should be ashamed to show that kind of obstacle course as part of the fake campaign.
As I said before, streets of downtown LA have more Challenging obstacles than that concrete mall they were driving on.

they went from this kind of awesome commercial to Boring, fake, unattractive commercial just like the new defender itself is.

You gotta admit, having a driveway like that would be fun for like a week. I'd invite all my friends over, park all my vehicles on the street and then tell them to make sure they only park in the driveway cuz the street sweepers will be coming........hahaha

REDROVER

Explorer
Haha I hope my friend is not secret member here watching me talk ******** about the new defender.
I think this type of concrete obstacle course is standard now days with many automakers, even Toyota does that.

I wanna have my own version?

DorB

Adventurer
one talks global exploration and shows it,
Did I missed the herds of Defenders out there in Africa/Mideast/outback/Asia?

Funny how assumption became facts before it travelled a single mile/km on real world (organized promotion tracks don’t count).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

nickw

Adventurer
The video below sure beats the concrete-laden track of a well-manicured proving grounds or the wet gravel roads of an estate- I'll be waiting for your video of a modern LR doing anything close to the below.

You didn't have to wait long....@Victory_Overland posted it below.

The new D90 wouldn't flinch at doing the same thing...nor would most capable rigs properly equipped...

Last edited:

JeepColorado

You didn't have to wait long....@Victory_Overland posted it below.

The new D90 wouldn't flinch at doing the same thing...nor would most capable rigs properly equipped...

It's a good video- I sure hope we see more of them- it would be an absolute change from years of LR history.

Did I missed the herds of Defenders out there in Africa/Mideast/outback/Asia?

Funny how assumption became facts before it travelled a single mile/km on real world (organized promotion tracks don’t count).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Not sure what you mean?

It's a good video- I sure hope we see more of them- it would be an absolute change from years of LR history.

That's the hopes; I'm all about innovation on any platform and long as OEM's keep building stuff that are truly off-road capable machines and gives more options for individual desires.

DieselRanger

Have you missed the several videos that have already been posted? Oh, no, I forgot, those were produced and directed by the zombies who faked the moon landing. :rolleyes: ? :ROFLMAO:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior