Ram 5500 is here

zb39

Adventurer
Picked up the wrangler new years eve. Now to get everything I ordered while waiting for it on. It's going to flat tow nicely.IMG_0275.jpgIMG_0276.jpgIMG_0276.jpg

tmacc

Beautiful truck and Jeep. I see the tow tabs on the new jeep bumper. What are the other aspects of flat towing your jeep. The reason I ask is we're going to flat tow our 6 speed manual Xterra PRO4-X behind our F-350 & TC this year. I haven't checked into the logistic too much, so since you're pretty thorough with everything you've done, I figure I'd ask. I guess some monster hitch extension for starters.
Tom

zb39

Adventurer
Yes, hitch extender is needed for my camper. I already have a Roadmaster sterling towbar. Safety cables/chains. Wiring for lights on back of the jeep. I have flat towed 10's of thousands of miles with 3 different vehicles. Jeep will be the fourth. You should also probably have some type of a brake assist assembly in the towed vehicle. Will also stop it if it becomes disconnected. Lots of info on line about this. It was a game changer for my wife and I to have another vehicle to get around in. We will never be without it.

carlo muro

The whole USAA experience has been downgraded. Diluted. The time was when you could only get USAA if you or a family member were active duty or retired military. Nobody outside those circles had ever heard of USAA. It was a fantastic company. I remember reading threads on the aftermath of Katrina. Lots of bitching (and rightly so) about how insurance companies handled it. I did a keyword search on USAA and found not one negative comment in over 3000 posts. That was 2005. One day USAA decided that there was money to be made by opening the doors to everybody. They started advertising on TV. And they’ve leveraged their good name to make a lot of money. But, Joe Public actuarilly represents a whole different set of numbers than the military and their immediate family members. You experience this fact via your experience with USAA. It ain’t what it was.

I knew it was changing when they stopped writing new policies for motorcycles.

tmacc

Yes, hitch extender is needed for my camper. I already have a Roadmaster sterling towbar. Safety cables/chains. Wiring for lights on back of the jeep. I have flat towed 10's of thousands of miles with 3 different vehicles. Jeep will be the fourth. You should also probably have some type of a brake assist assembly in the towed vehicle. Will also stop it if it becomes disconnected. Lots of info on line about this. It was a game changer for my wife and I to have another vehicle to get around in. We will never be without it.

Yes, will need an extension as well. Hmmm, brake assist never crossed my mind. Have one on our 10k lb. flat bed trailer. Thanks.

zb39

Adventurer
Got my hitch extension on and it works great. I will be using it to flat tow the jeep. I will not be pulling a trailer with it. My trailer has an extended tounge to fit under the TC overhang. Also got some items in the jeep as we use it as a support vehicle for the TC. It also allows us to go pretty much anywhere we want in the back country.504352504353

zb39

Adventurer
Traded for a super C coach actually, then I traded that for a new 45' DP which I still have along with the jeep and trailer and a new RZR I got in Jan. Great truck though.

I have a mega cab 3500 dually on order now. So I will grab a smaller TC this fall for when I do a quick trip or 2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles