On two wheels south through Latin America

HiPERnx

Quarantine content 1
As I'm in quarantine (not legally forced) here in Mexico i have time to make some small pieces of content with old material. Here's a short video from a trip a few years ago with my Jeep WJ/WG through the bankans. A amazing place! Would recommend anyone to visit the area.

HiPERnx

Quarantine content
Camping vs Hotels/Hostels for round the world motorcycle travel

While traveling on a motorcycle you have many different options for accommodations. One of the most common questions i get asked is how i do with accommodation while on the road with with the motorcycle and traveling. There are pros and cons of all types of accommodation, and safety is a big concern for a lot of people. In this video i go over the types of accommodation i use. What is not covered is Couch surfing which is also a popular option.

The accommodation methods gone over in this video is motorcycle camping, hostels, hotels and AirBnB style accommodation.

I've read before on some forums and groups that "if you stay in a hotel it's not an adventure", i do not agree with that. Everyone makes their own adventure, and it's up to adventurer to define their own adventure.

nyyankees588

Just discovered your thread... very cool! How do you like the v-strom for the trip's purposes? I'm looking to do a similar trip in the near future, but have been looking at more of the dirt oriented duel sports (dr650/ktr650). Seems like you've done super well with the more road-oriented v-strom...

HiPERnx

Just discovered your thread... very cool! How do you like the v-strom for the trip's purposes? I'm looking to do a similar trip in the near future, but have been looking at more of the dirt oriented duel sports (dr650/ktr650). Seems like you've done super well with the more road-oriented v-strom...
Thanks!
I can't think of a better bike than the V-Strom 650. It's by no means a dirt-bike, but with some proper tyres it will chug along nicely.
The 650cc v-twin has been around for ages, although not as long as the 650 singles. The V-Strom sold everywhere round the world where Suzuki has dealers unlike the DR (sort of rare nowadays) and KLR (discontinued recently and never sold in a lot of countries). Bikes that are not sold on the local market are very hard to find spares to, you'll not be able to find spares for $20,000+ adventure bikes (BLW, KTM, Ducati, Mogoguzzi etc...) outside of major cities in more "fortunate" contries. For the V-Strom i can find spares anywhere. If your choice is between a KLR and a DR, i'd go with the DR as Suzuki dealersips are around every corner of the world. Kawasaki is not as common in Latin America at least. Met a friend on the trip that has had problems finding capable mechanics and spares for his KLR 650.
Consider how much extreme offroad you'll ride, on dirt tracks the V-Strom will do as well as a true dual sport. But on the V-Strom has as much power than the DR and the KLR together and for not that much more money, it really helps on the highway. Also low fuel consumption with modern fuel injection, no worries with carbs at high altitude, ABS and anti spin (on newer model V-Stroms).

I wish you the best of luck! If you have any more questions i'll be happy to help!

nyyankees588

Thanks!
I can't think of a better bike than the V-Strom 650. It's by no means a dirt-bike, but with some proper tyres it will chug along nicely.
The 650cc v-twin has been around for ages, although not as long as the 650 singles. The V-Strom sold everywhere round the world where Suzuki has dealers unlike the DR (sort of rare nowadays) and KLR (discontinued recently and never sold in a lot of countries). Bikes that are not sold on the local market are very hard to find spares to, you'll not be able to find spares for $20,000+ adventure bikes (BLW, KTM, Ducati, Mogoguzzi etc...) outside of major cities in more "fortunate" contries. For the V-Strom i can find spares anywhere. If your choice is between a KLR and a DR, i'd go with the DR as Suzuki dealersips are around every corner of the world. Kawasaki is not as common in Latin America at least. Met a friend on the trip that has had problems finding capable mechanics and spares for his KLR 650.
Consider how much extreme offroad you'll ride, on dirt tracks the V-Strom will do as well as a true dual sport. But on the V-Strom has as much power than the DR and the KLR together and for not that much more money, it really helps on the highway. Also low fuel consumption with modern fuel injection, no worries with carbs at high altitude, ABS and anti spin (on newer model V-Stroms).

I wish you the best of luck! If you have any more questions i'll be happy to help!

That is great information - confirms some of the things I've heard and opens up the interesting option of the v-strom... For now I want to catch up on some of your videos, I definitely may reach out in the near future! Best wishes.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
If you have any questions just ask. There is also a great motorcycle specific hostal in Santiago. With secure parking, and room to work on the bike in a covered area. Hostal Casa Mate

I would recommend there before riding down, and get all sorts of good info prior to the Patagonia. The owner is a great guy, walking distance to the motorcycle parts district, and good eats. I believe his name was Christian. You can find some of the ride burred in my trip thread.

HiPERnx

If you have any questions just ask. There is also a great motorcycle specific hostal in Santiago. With secure parking, and room to work on the bike in a covered area. Hostal Casa Mate

I would recommend there before riding down, and get all sorts of good info prior to the Patagonia. The owner is a great guy, walking distance to the motorcycle parts district, and good eats. I believe his name was Christian. You can find some of the ride burred in my trip thread.

Thanks a lot, great tips! Really appreciated! I've marked it on my map and will make sure to check it out when the time comes.

HiPERnx

Quarantine content
Why i think the V-Strom 650 is the best (new) adventure travel bike for international motorcycle travel
I'm by no means a V-Strom fanboy. To be honest i don't think the bike is pretty and it's not the coolest bike on the block. But i do think it's the best bike for international adventure travel there is right now. I made a video explaining why that is.
You can travel round the world with any vehicle, or even walking! But it's easier with the right tools for the job.

gnel

Hello Gustaf, are you still in Mexico? I am wondering how CDMX is with covid? Is it getting any better? I to am a Gustav N. but from California with Swedish/Norwegian grandparents. I am also living in Mexico in the city of Colima.
Saludos Goose:)

HiPERnx

Hello Gustaf, are you still in Mexico? I am wondering how CDMX is with covid? Is it getting any better? I to am a Gustav N. but from California with Swedish/Norwegian grandparents. I am also living in Mexico in the city of Colima.
Saludos Goose:)
Beautiful name you got there ;)

The problem here is that the local government and the people doesn't take it seriously. The official numbers here are heavily skewed and everything is opening back up despite the cases and deaths are going through the roof in CDMX.
The economic situation is noticable here, lost of people lost their jobs here. I hope it's all over soon!

HiPERnx

Episode 10
Trip updates and future plans. Hiking Hallandsleden, Sweden
First of all, happy new year! Been a long time since i posted. Not much is happening due to the COVID situation. This is a short update on what's happening with me and the trip.

The plan is to continue with the trip in the future. But not in the coming year or two. The reason being that even if the borders open, it will not be as enjoyable as it was before.
I'll import the bike to Sweden and register it in Sweden (instead of California, USA as it it now). In the meantime I'll continue traveling in my more direct area, around Sweden and Europe with both the bike and my 4x4.
I'll keep uploading content on the channel and x-posting relevant content here. I wish you all the best!

HiPERnx

I'm awful at updating this thread i feel. But better late than never. This took place in March of 2021
Episode 11
Preparing for another trip to Costa Rica to renew the storage permit and learning from my mistakes and getting soft panniers.

A lot of things are happening in life. But at least there was some light in the end of the tunnel. I was going to see my partner and after being apart due to pandemic travel restrictions, and also i was going to get the chance to travel Costa Rica again.
Learning from my previous mistake of getting hard panniers. Although the SW-Motech panniers are great panniers, hard panniers had too many drawbacks. Especially when my partner was riding behind me.
I went with a set of 21Brothers soft panniers, they were at the right pricepoint for me and were in stock compared to the alternatives. I'm happy with them so far, even though the quality of the material has just been ok.

photo_2022-06-10_20-46-30.jpg

photo_2022-06-10_20-46-33.jpg

Up until this point my trip had been recorded on two GoPros and a iPhone X, it was time for a upgrade. Especially in regards to the phone camera.
My new camera kit now consists of:
  • 2x GoPro
  • Sony ZV-1
  • RØDE Wireless Go 2
  • Lacie BOSS harddrive
  • Random goodies

photo_2022-06-10_20-46-36.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier