JKU must do’s upgrades

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
You've already got good headlights, and you have top-of-the-line AEV suspension.

Any money you're looking to spend - spend it on gas in the tank and go and have adventures!

As time goes on you might find you want a fridge or comfortable sleeping or a place to get out of the rain - then you can get those as you personally require.

But for now you don't need anything at all, you're all set!

-Dan

jsek29

Observer
They’re bilsteins I’m trying to figure out how big the lift is. My gear ratio is saying 3.73 and tire size is 33”

I bet you nearly never get into 6th gear with 3.73s. If you want to drive tougher trails and obstacles, numerically higher differential gears will make it easier to do so. If you are more interested in exploring remotely on moderate trails and dirt roads, you may eventually want to re-gear, but it isn’t imperative.

Get some recovery gear and go drive. Experience will teach you what modifications you need to make your Jeep the best tool for your needs.

jadmt

ignore button user
They’re bilsteins I’m trying to figure out how big the lift is. My gear ratio is saying 3.73 and tire size is 33”
that is a 2.5” lift. I will tell you you that you need to address your front brake lines as whoever installed your lift neglected that step. If you never plan on offroading you will be fine but if you go offroad and flex you are going to have issues.

mindfield

that is a 2.5” lift. I will tell you you that you need to address your front brake lines as whoever installed your lift neglected that step. If you never plan on offroading you will be fine but if you go offroad and flex you are going to have issues.
Oh man! What is wrong with them?

jadmt

ignore button user
they need to be pried from the brackets and zip tied to the lower shock. If you flex out you will over extend the brake lines/abs sensors. go to the AEV website pull up the AEV dualsport 2.5 install instructions. there is not much actual wrangler info here so if you want good tech info go to wrangler forum.

mindfield

they need to be pried from the brackets and zip tied to the lower shock. If you flex out you will over extend the brake lines/abs sensors. go to the AEV website pull up the AEV dualsport 2.5 install instructions. there is not much actual wrangler info here so if you want good tech info go to wrangler forum.
i really appreciate your eye on this. Do you recommend i go somewhere to get it done or is there a lot of insight on youtube or online as to how to do it?

jadmt

ignore button user
i really appreciate your eye on this. Do you recommend i go somewhere to get it done or is there a lot of insight on youtube or online as to how to do it?
Just do it yourself. It is easy pull up the installation instructions like I told you.

billiebob

Other than details you have a great overlander. Figure out how to keep food fresh and how to sleep in comfort and get outa town.
33s and 3.73s, near perfect for an overlander.

How about posting some photos.

SBSYNCRO

The one thing no one has addressed is whether or not you're happy with the way it tracks and steers. If you have an AEV lift, it is probably fine, but if not you might want to look at things like front end upgrades.

If you're happy with the way it handles, then I'd agree with everyone else and say you have the "must haves" (unless you want to go taller tires, which honestly is not necessary given what you've said about your needs).

Use it and decide what you want to be different. For me, that meant things like:
  • ARB Recovery bag & gear
  • Vector offroad bar and RAM mounts for cell phones and Ham radio
  • Because the Rock Krawler stuff I had sucked:
    • Synergy track bar, lower control arms, steering sector shaft brace, & track bar mount
    • Synergy flipped drag link
    • Synergy tie rod
  • MorRyde MOLLE panel overhead rack for stowing rifles/shotguns while hunting (and keeping other stuff up there out of the way)
  • Bumper and rear mounted lights for more light at night
  • ARB air compressor (mounted under hood) to easily air up
  • Appollointec "SPOD clone" for switching lights and air compressor to manage wiring
  • Removing rear seats and building a plywood deck with aircraft cargo retention system to create more space for 2 person camping
  • DFG Offroad fridge slide + Dometic CFW50 fridge - GAME CHANGER!
  • Frontrunner Wolf Packs (fit *perfectly* next to the DFG slide & fridge combo) to maximize storage utilization and eliminate giant heavy bins that made things hard to find
  • MCE full width Fender Flares (F & R) to eliminate rubbing on full stuff (I'm running relatively low 4.2" backspace wheels to preserve scrub radius)
  • Ace front fender liners because I didn't want ones with logos, and the Ace ones are clean looking.
  • Rhino backbone to set up racks
  • Rhino Vortex bars to carry solar panel, surf boards, kayaks, and other stuff. (I ALWAYS mount racks on my vehicles)
  • 500wh lithium power pack (to power fridge)
  • 100w Solar panel (to charge the power bank)
  • Changing trans oil to Amsoil synthetic (made a slight difference - I also have a 6-spd)
  • Camp water system using Wavian 20L water can and marine foot pump
and so on.
On my wish list:

One thing I would caution you on: Be thoughtful about weight. JKUs are heavy to start with and bolting on a bunch of crap gets them heavy REALLY quick. The Previous Owner of my Jeep had an addiction to heavy steel bolt-on stuff, which I have been gradually either removing or replacing with lighter alternatives as I have funds. Jeeps are lumbering, under-powered creatures to begin with, and when you add 500 lbs, it makes a big difference.

Last edited:

shays4me

Willing Wanderer

I never really liked the tie wrapping of the brake lines to the shocks. I did it once before I found that procomp makes some backets that bolt on and move the factory bracket up further. It's a better long term solution IMO.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
ARB Airlockers and a compressor. Get the ARB twin, it fits under the hood. Get an S-Pod. Have a good recovery kit in the back.

theksmith

Explorer
- front sway bar disconnects (probably already have them with the lift)
- engine/trans skid
- evap canister relocation or a good skid for it
- rock rails

and of course for any rig: quality tire repair kit and compressor/hose/inflator, basic recovery equipment (including making sure you have front tow hooks and a rear hook or trailer hitch), basic tools and emergency parts/supplies

As Scooter

Observer
I am going to be honest, I am a rock crawler. It started out not wanting to do anything major, but it grew and grew to where I don’t bypass many trails. My jeep, has become built for that sort of thing, because I thiroughly enjoy it, and can afford it. So, that may reflect my suggestions.
1. Pay $700 to get a big brake kit. Something with a dual piston caliper, like Teraflex, Crown, or dynatrac, even if your tires are not going over 33”, it will make a huge improvement.
2. If your shocks are good, great. I blew my Bilsteins out pretty bad at around 35,000 miles, as in, they were totally toast. Get a reservoir shock. I like the Teraflex Falcon 3.1 non adjustable, but there are others that are adjustable. They are worth the little bit of extra expense.
3. If you are going to be going over some really rough roads, think about upgrading your body armor, Skid Plates, the cross member are great. I relocated my evap canister, and it gives me one less thing to worry about, and was not expensive to do.
4. If you can upgrade your steering, do it. It will give you a more solid feel. I tried the Steer Smarts equipment, and it just did not work for me, because the end links kept coming loose. I switched to Aluminum 7075 drag link and tie rod, and it has been awesome. If you really want to go totally nuts, the PSC XD big bore steering box is very nice.
these would be my mechanical recommendations for an overlander. Now, if you want to rock crawl, how deep is your check book, and how crazy do yiu want to get?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior