HazVan - 2002 E-350 SuperDuty 7.3l PSD

turbodiesel

After ripping out the wood cabinet and building aluminum cabinets. I decided aluminum bed was in order. Goodbye bed prototype and in with aluminum. Still need to bolt it all together for a final time but it's cut and painted.

Still need additional carpet and cabinet doors. It's getting there.

While this was going on, prepped for fluid overhaul. Motor oil, transmission flush & oil, and coolant flush & refill. Replacing thermostat and various hoses for each.
e5f54c3a351422bda21dee980d11321c.jpg
941a919c648e67f25ab96a878fa58769.jpg
12b7e3c5a036d94c10ea7bfcda330aab.jpg
4979d21f4c0d24e73cafd5dca413854c.jpg
14db812670b9c931899a3d0e1b44058f.jpg
cf3e800ec8e664e43da88a8f29f82c77.jpg
1bbbf055685c9244c3108864c49c8e53.jpg
62997dab67cd65d9eeb1c9c913cd37f0.jpg

Last edited:

turbodiesel

Donor van mechanicals are trash. The engine runs but barely. Body is rusted out. Frame is super rusted. On and on. Plus it's only a 4.9l gasser. Mine is a 7.3l diesel.

Large structure meant it was easy to slide off and back on. It's heavy so picking it up isn't a one man operation.

turbodiesel

I'll be putting up the van for parts. If anyone is in the Los Angeles area let me know if you need sportsmobile interior parts. Swivel seat, curtains, etc

turbodiesel

Check in for the transmission cooler. It's made a substantial difference in temps going up the grapevine or Schwinn grade. Driving around town it's around 140, rises a bit freeway going 70 in temp 90+. Will get up to standard 170 going up grade in temps over 70. Haven't seen it over 190 since the install. While the cooler does have a built in bypass, I'll probably add the inline bypass for the winter as I suspect the trans will take forever to get up to temp without it.

Overall, I'd recommend as an easy upgrade if trans temps are a concern.

Last edited:

turbodiesel

Next up for the HazVan, MG Metal 4x4 conversion. Looked at all the various kits and even drove a couple but decided on MGs kit balancing cost and part availability. Liked the use of standard or easily obtained aftermarket parts, plus option of using a newer axle with lower mileage and bigger brakes. That's not to knock any of the other options out there, but personally this seemed the best for me to diy. Ideally a 2016 axle would have been best, but those with a 4.30 are significantly harder to find than a '13-15. Ended up with a set off of a 2014 F350SD (front 100K miles, rear 22K miles).

Currently waiting for the axles to arrive, meanwhile it's time to start buying parts from my spreadsheet. My garage will soon be a stock room...

Last edited:

turbodiesel

MG caster adjustment for the radius arms. First go was a mess, the other three cuts were more precise.

With a digital caliper I measured 10mm over in-line with the current opening. Then marked the hole with a white paint pen and attempted to cut it out with a jigsaw and Dremel to finish. The next three I made a smaller cut with the jigsaw, used a large tooth file to make it the correct size and then removed burs with a Dremel. This was more manual effort but a much better result.

Next up for the radius arms is prep and clean for welding the plates on.

Attachments

• PXL_20201227_215458764.jpeg
    PXL_20201227_215458764.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
  • PXL_20201227_215138372.jpeg
    PXL_20201227_215138372.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 27
  • PXL_20201227_215144693.jpeg
    PXL_20201227_215144693.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 26
  • PXL_20201227_215442406.jpeg
    PXL_20201227_215442406.jpeg
    899.9 KB · Views: 25

turbodiesel

4x4 Conversion is beginning. I have the axles, although there was a slight hick-up on the front axle. The axle they sent was a '14 3.73 not a 4.30. Luckily they refunded me the full amount and let me keep the axle. The crappy part is now I'm delayed in starting the under van work. I had options of re-gear this or sell and find another. I decided to tackle re-gear the front axle as finding another 13-16' 4.30 axle with decent mileage is a challenge. I'm taking this as an opportunity to learn how to re-gear an axle. It'll be fun right?

Raul

Adventurer
You may want to consider adding a front locker or LSD since you are messing with the front axle.

The spread sheet you posted is great. I wish I had it when I was doing my van. I still may use it for a few item. Thanks.

I've seen on the sheet that you may add steering stabilizer. Try first without. I put dual stabilizes from Rough Country and I hated the numb feeling.

turbodiesel

You may want to consider adding a front locker or LSD since you are messing with the front axle.
This is a good point, any recommendations? I don't really want to introduce air lockers, so maybe an electric locker. LSD would likely be cheaper and just easier overall. I'm not planning to do any serious rock crawling, so a LSD would likely be fine for mud/snow. (Edit) Actually looks like LSD can be terrible upfront in snow. Seems either you want full lock or open.
The spread sheet you posted is great. I wish I had it when I was doing my van. I still may use it for a few item. Thanks.
Glad it's of some use. I figured I might be able to save someone some time. Putting together the purchase list with places to buy from is a bit of a PITA, but with ordering so many parts I had to do it so I could track what/when/how each item.
I've seen on the sheet that you may add steering stabilizer. Try first without. I put dual stabilizes from Rough Country and I hated the numb feeling.
Plan was to try without as I want to be sure I'm not hiding a problem. I already ordered the PMF bracket and have two of the fox shocks. Maybe I'll start with the single and see what that gets me.

Last edited:

turbodiesel

I had my thought going towards returning the Yukon 4.30 and getting a Elite gear 4.30 with a zip locker. It's on the front axle so I doubt if the gear sees more than 1K in it's lifetime, so I probably don't need Yukon quality there. Problem with that is, I don't see any kits with a 4.30 gearing.

Talked with Rons Machining Service where I bought the new gears from and for the van conversion with F350 axles they recommend either leaving it open or using a LSD like Dana 60 Powergrip Posi LSD 4.10-DN 35 Spline. Decisions decisions. After reading up on lockers I'm truly confused ? I'm leaning toward either open diff or locker. Read too many posts on LSD not being great on a front axle for daily driving.

*Edit* After talking through it with a buddy I think I'll throw in a Dana 60 Trac Lock Posi unit. Should be able to find one for $300-400 and for limited use it should be fine. They can wear out after 50K when they are on the rear but that shouldn't be an issue on the front.

Last edited:

Raul

Adventurer
I am in the fence on front lockers as well. I don't think I'll like to go with a lunchbox type. If I go locker I'll either go with a Torsen (worm gear as in the military H1 Hummers) or a mechanical full locker like the OX. All being said, so far with a rear OEM clutch LSD and open front I've done fine.

turbodiesel

I am in the fence on front lockers as well. I don't think I'll like to go with a lunchbox type. If I go locker I'll either go with a Torsen (worm gear as in the military H1 Hummers) or a mechanical full locker like the OX. All being said, so far with a rear OEM clutch LSD and open front I've done fine.
Hear you on Open Front and LSD Rear. That was the plan before having to re-gear. Lunchbox style is attractive as the price is cheap and it'll likely see only minimal mileage. The more I think about it, the less inclined I am to change it from an open diff.

• Open diff (Free)
    • Pro: Known Driving characteristics, Free
    • Con: One wheel looses traction, no drive
  • LSD - Lunchbox ($)
    • Pro: Cheap, reliable for low mileage, simple to install
    • Con: LSD in the front can be harsh steering in corners, Lunchbox even more so
  • LSD - True LSD ($$)
    • Pro: Traction, city driving ok
    • Con: Cost, in front axle can be harsh
  • Selectable Locker ($$$)
    • Pro: Pros from the open diff, on off as needed, selectable on the fly
    • Con: Cost, install complexity

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94