Good ol' tire discussion - considering 2 options

Chorky

Observer
Hey all. So looking into what tire to get before winter hits.

I currently have 31x10.5 Cooper Discoverer STT Pro. They are about 4 years old, and must be near their end. Plenty of tread left, but lugs are warping in a weird way.

Anywhoo, I wanted to get a different tire anyway considering having relocated to MT - and these tires don't do the greatest in ice - as experienced last winter. Here is what I have gathered thus far.

Option 1 - Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac
  • Either 31x10.5 or 33x12.5
  • Currently have some on my truck, and work truck - they perform very well on both, work truck sees about 75% off highway in all seasons
  • Common 'old' discussion of weak sidewalls - never personally experienced, used hard on work truck

Option 2 - BF Goodrich T/A KO2
  • either 31x10.5, 33x10.5, or 33x12.5
  • Have heard good reviews especially in icy conditions. Unknown performance in mud/clay

Notes
  • I would prefer to not go with a 12.5 width tire if stepping up to 33's, so that shys me away from the Duratrac. Although, not entirely sure I want to go that large on the Jeep anyway, would require re-gearing at some point, so for now I likely would stick with the 31's.
  • It would seem the Duratracs would do better in icky nasty slippery clay, and less as good as KO's in ice? Unsure of performance of KO2's in those situations
  • I really want to stick with a 3 peak tire (winter rated). Do not have the ability to have a dedicated summer/winter tire at the moment.
  • Reality is I no longer do significant off road - mostly exploring unmaintained dirt roads, FS roads/reservation roads, so a true MT is not needed, but something good in clay surfaced sections and ice is more important anymore (also considering letting my dad take the Jeep for a while, and he never goes off road other than to hiking trails or camping)
  • I posted this here instead of the tire section as I figured the handling dynamics of tires on a Jeep is significantly different than that of a full size, or other vehicle.
Let the never-ending debate begin! :) ?

ratled

Adventurer
I got KO2 33's for the same reasons you mention. They are an AT, as opposed to a MT, but they perform in the mud as you would expect for and AT.
HOWEVER, I was surprised to find out much trouble they are having with the rubber. This has, in many cases, caused balancing issues. This has lead to many having death wobble... including mine. I started a thread on about a year ago. As one Jeep guy said, why do you think they are no longer OEM.

I have my best 4 on it not and the worst offender is the designated spare. I have balance less then every 3k and then its a week of rotating around until I find a where they will behave.

The newer Cooper AT3s will replace them soon

Chorky

Observer
I got KO2 33's for the same reasons you mention. They are an AT, as opposed to a MT, but they perform in the mud as you would expect for and AT.
HOWEVER, I was surprised to find out much trouble they are having with the rubber. This has, in many cases, caused balancing issues. This has lead to many having death wobble... including mine. I started a thread on about a year ago. As one Jeep guy said, why do you think they are no longer OEM.

I have my best 4 on it not and the worst offender is the designated spare. I have balance less then every 3k and then its a week of rotating around until I find a where they will behave.

Interesting. I have not heard of balance issues for the KO's before... Maybe their manufacturering has changed? I have had zero balance issues with my STT Pro's, and no wobble at all after a 4" lift. But I just need a winter 3 peak tire... Coopers are great, but I dont think the AT3's are a 3 peak, and general tire I dont think has one either....

Are yours 10.5 or 12.5 wide? maybe that makes a difference? Do they perform well at least in the snow/ice?

blacklbzbeauty

Hey all. So looking into what tire to get before winter hits.

I currently have 31x10.5 Cooper Discoverer STT Pro. They are about 4 years old, and must be near their end. Plenty of tread left, but lugs are warping in a weird way.

Anywhoo, I wanted to get a different tire anyway considering having relocated to MT - and these tires don't do the greatest in ice - as experienced last winter. Here is what I have gathered thus far.

Option 1 - Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac
  • Either 31x10.5 or 33x12.5
  • Currently have some on my truck, and work truck - they perform very well on both, work truck sees about 75% off highway in all seasons
  • Common 'old' discussion of weak sidewalls - never personally experienced, used hard on work truck

Option 2 - BF Goodrich T/A KO2
  • either 31x10.5, 33x10.5, or 33x12.5
  • Have heard good reviews especially in icy conditions. Unknown performance in mud/clay

Notes
  • I would prefer to not go with a 12.5 width tire if stepping up to 33's, so that shys me away from the Duratrac. Although, not entirely sure I want to go that large on the Jeep anyway, would require re-gearing at some point, so for now I likely would stick with the 31's.
  • It would seem the Duratracs would do better in icky nasty slippery clay, and less as good as KO's in ice? Unsure of performance of KO2's in those situations
  • I really want to stick with a 3 peak tire (winter rated). Do not have the ability to have a dedicated summer/winter tire at the moment.
  • Reality is I no longer do significant off road - mostly exploring unmaintained dirt roads, FS roads/reservation roads, so a true MT is not needed, but something good in clay surfaced sections and ice is more important anymore (also considering letting my dad take the Jeep for a while, and he never goes off road other than to hiking trails or camping)
  • I posted this here instead of the tire section as I figured the handling dynamics of tires on a Jeep is significantly different than that of a full size, or other vehicle.
Let the never-ending debate begin! :) ?

Have Duratrac LT285 70R 17's on our '15 Rubi JKU with Teraflex leveling kit and stock wheels. No re-gearing and do not see the need at this time for our use.
They are very good on ice and snow. Have not really wrung them out in deep mud but on trail mud/slick clay and sand they do just fine. Especially aired down.
Highway manners are fine and not overly noisy.
Sorry, no experience with KO2's for a comparison.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
I've only got experience with mud terrains on my CJ7, but I much preferred a 31/10.50 over the 33/12.50 I'm running now, especially in the winter. The 33/12.50 maxis bighorns I'm running now are the most uncomfortable tire I've ran on the street besides swampers and not suited for slick roads at all. When my 33's are done I'm going back to tall skinnies in @ 33/10.50 with an AT rating.

jadmt

ignore button user
I have had KO2 and they are great in the winter but I also have Falken AT3W's and they are even better in the winter. I live in Montana and the Falkens stick like studs. I also just ordered a set of Toyo AT3's and they are going to be here on Tuesday. I have been driving winter conditions since the 70's and snow shoe and snow wheel all winter long and the Falkens are nothing short of amazing on ice and snow packed roads.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.

KO's are famous for it. The tire guys at Discount told me they have a heck of a time with them. I had some that had freeway vibes. They'd zero out with 4+ ozs(one too 9 ozs.) and Discount Road Forced them even. I sold them on Craigslist and got Toyos. Never an issue since.

ratled

Adventurer
Interesting. I have not heard of balance issues for the KO's before... Maybe their manufacturering has changed? I have had zero balance issues with my STT Pro's, and no wobble at all after a 4" lift. But I just need a winter 3 peak tire... Coopers are great, but I dont think the AT3's are a 3 peak, and general tire I dont think has one either....

Are yours 10.5 or 12.5 wide? maybe that makes a difference? Do they perform well at least in the snow/ice?
I'm down in the Reno NV area so our snow is more to discuarge more Californians from moving here rather than calling it real snow - though we can be in real snow in a matter of minutes with the Sierras. They perform better than the stock KM2 did but they could be better. Mine are the 11.5" width and the are only 5 pounds heavier than 31s - though the BFG line seams to run smaller actual size then most other brands do. I did note other brands run heavier than their small size or of the same size KO2s and that be where the issue comes from. It's not just me and it's not just Jeeps just do a google search and see what pops up

Last edited:

Chorky

Observer
Just my two cents, but a real winter tire will be far superior in icy/snowy conditions than any AT tire, snow rated or not.
your correct, but I need a year round tire. If I had abilities to have a dedicated winter tire it would be a different story. At least the 3 peak is better than just a MT

I've only got experience with mud terrains on my CJ7, but I much preferred a 31/10.50 over the 33/12.50 I'm running now, especially in the winter. The 33/12.50 maxis bighorns I'm running now are the most uncomfortable tire I've ran on the street besides swampers and not suited for slick roads at all. When my 33's are done I'm going back to tall skinnies in @ 33/10.50 with an AT rating.
Yeah, going 12.5 for a 33" height seems silly to me. ANd looks odd, plus a bunch of extra rolling resistance that seems unnecessary... Maybe I'll have to just stay with the 31's.

I have had KO2 and they are great in the winter but I also have Falken AT3W's and they are even better in the winter. I live in Montana and the Falkens stick like studs. I also just ordered a set of Toyo AT3's and they are going to be here on Tuesday. I have been driving winter conditions since the 70's and snow shoe and snow wheel all winter long and the Falkens are nothing short of amazing on ice and snow packed roads.
The Falken don't seem to be so good in mud/clay though. Thats great they work well in winter, but I need a good year round tire. How are they on roads other than ice?

KO's are famous for it. The tire guys at Discount told me they have a heck of a time with them. I had some that had freeway vibes. They'd zero out with 4+ ozs(one too 9 ozs.) and Discount Road Forced them even. I sold them on Craigslist and got Toyos. Never an issue since.
That was my fear.... After more research i did see a lot of balance issue discussion from various sources. Maybe I'll stick with a 31 duratrac since they work really well on my F350, and work 2500... I had hopes of a 33 in the future though...

billiebob

Maybe I'll have to just stay with the 31's.
This, I've run 33s ans 35s on my TJR. I hated the 35s the roughest ride ever. 33s I did cuz, well everyone does 33s., mine were 33x10.50s and they were nice but I went to 31sx7.50 last year and the difference is incredible. way smoother riding, and 5mpg better. Just changing tires I added 95 miles to the TJRs range. I'll never go back. I put the same tires on my SquareDrop now and with all that extra sidewall plus a skinny cross section it rides smoother too.

The 7.50R16s are just over 31" tall.

Last edited:

wADVr

Adventurer
I have both tires in a 285/75R16 on a XJ that lives in Montana. The duratracs are studded so obviously work extremely well on ice. That said the duatracs are much more aggressive and do have decent siping on the tread blocks so I believe they will work just as good on ice than than the KO2s. My opinion for an aggressive all terrain that will perform better in mud goes to the Duratracs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles