2020 Ram 5500 DIY Composite Panel Camper Build Thread

akhummer

I may have missed the part about attaching it to the frame (sub) too. Glue, thru-bolted to sub-frame, straps, two-sided tape? Does the subframe flex at all? How much deflection can the box handle?

Last edited:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I may have missed the part about attaching it to the frame (sub) too. Glue, thru-bolted to sub-frame, straps, two-sided tape? Does the subframe flex at all? How much deflection can the box handle?

Industrial strength Velcro. Stuff is ************

Subframe doesn’t flex at all, itself. That’s the whole point of it. :)

The spring mounts provide the compensation for the frame flex. In theory anyway ?

McCarthy

Is it riding season yet?
Industrial strength Velcro. Stuff is ************

Subframe doesn’t flex at all, itself. That’s the whole point of it. :)

The spring mounts provide the compensation for the frame flex. In theory anyway ?

Why bother with velcro? All the REAL overlanders know duct tape is the proper way to mount a flatbed. Cheap, stretchy, and best of all, it's shiny. Then, when you're setting up your industrial 600 sq ft kitchen... Errrrr... Camp kitchen... You have a way to keep the lid on #4 smoker slightly ajar for that perfect smoke flavour, just in case smoker 1, 2, and 3 have sudden catastrophic failures due to the ice cream machine drawing too much power. Amateur.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
I finally click the link in your signature line from another thread and WOW, 30 pages of awesome information! I see why you get some sponsorships good deals, as your information and reviews are so complete and detailed. A great project with loads of information that can be applied to other vehicles/builds. I'm looking forward to watching your videos tonight and your continuing progress. THANKS

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I finally click the link in your signature line from another thread and WOW, 30 pages of awesome information! I see why you get some sponsorships good deals, as your information and reviews are so complete and detailed. A great project with loads of information that can be applied to other vehicles/builds. I'm looking forward to watching your videos tonight and your continuing progress. THANKS

Thank you sir!

Ridiculous heat wave, and a couple small technical difficulties hindered progress a little tad, but should have lots of cool updates by the end of this weekend! :)

Still shooting for a Sept 1st completion (box assembled, no interior) date, and i totally think its doable

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Still shooting for a Sept 1st completion (box assembled, no interior) date, and i totally think its doable
Great! It will nice to see a documented build (and video) on your level of care and attention to detail with one of Total Composites kits. I helped build one (Quade's 6x6) but I was just a strong back and weak minded assistance, so it will be nice to see it from a lead/supervisor's view. I'm going to be selling the Total Composite kit I have (I fell into a completed composite Unimog camper by dumb luck good karma, which means I have no need for it now) so hopefully, you will not mind me linking your 'How To' when I get off my duff and post it in the Classified section.

A question on your perhaps future Kelderman front air suspension. A couple members (java<F450>, Cowpig<C4500>) on the Portal have had less than 'happiness' with their truck with this on. Do you have enough positive feedback, that makes you consider that option? Thanks,

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Great! It will nice to see a documented build (and video) on your level of care and attention to detail with one of Total Composites kits. I helped build one (Quade's 6x6) but I was just a strong back and weak minded assistance, so it will be nice to see it from a lead/supervisor's view. I'm going to be selling the Total Composite kit I have (I fell into a completed composite Unimog camper by dumb luck good karma, which means I have no need for it now) so hopefully, you will not mind me linking your 'How To' when I get off my duff and post it in the Classified section.

A question on your perhaps future Kelderman front air suspension. A couple members (java<F450>, Cowpig<C4500>) on the Portal have had less than 'happiness' with their truck with this on. Do you have enough positive feedback, that makes you consider that option? Thanks,

I haven’t documented it yet, but I actually already put the front Kelderman on already.

The ride is night and day amazing, so I’m not sure what issues the others are having. @java did mention his ride stiff. I dunno.

With that being said, I’m not sure it’s going to work for me in the front.

Because the axle is moved forward an inch, the bags are sitting all kattywompus and out of alignment. I’m not driving the truck really right now because I’m building the box on it, but when the box is done, the front Kelderman will be coming off and I’ll look Into how hard it will be to make new bottom mounts for the bags. Low priority at this point

Last edited:

Brad_UT

Can't tell you how helpful this thread has been during my build. I'm almost finished the Kelderman rear kit. Hope to have the tires on this weekend and then start tearing into the front end. I figured the front kit wouldn't work with the axle moved forward so I'll get it installed, take some measurements and build up some new lower bag mounts. That's the plan anyway. Uncharted waters here, but that's part of the fun of it.

As you mentioned, the Kelderman instructions are absolutely horrible. Any idea what the part below is for? It came with the rear kit. My guess is that it's a brake like relocation bracket.IMG_3846.jpgIMG_3847.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94