Unimog

AKworld

No affiliation with seller.

1596152320157.png

Deshet

Adventurer
I just sold a unimog and was told buy folks on the Mercedes unimog forum to stay away from the round body unimogs if you plan to drive on the road. They said to stick with the square front bodies unless slow speed off-road is your primary use.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
I just sold a unimog and was told buy folks on the Mercedes unimog forum to stay away from the round body unimogs if you plan to drive on the road. They said to stick with the square front bodies unless slow speed off-road is your primary use.

Out of curiosity, why is that?

Reactions: zip

Deshet

Adventurer
The round body cabs were not built for over the road. They are slow and extremely noisy. They also don't have much insulation between the engine and the driving compartment. They are Rock solid off road but some won't even get to 35 miles an hour. Some of the fastest ones may go 50.

I am by no means an expert but they say that that series of unimog is a tractor that is Road capable.

Thanks

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
The round body cabs were not built for over the road. They are slow and extremely noisy. They also don't have much insulation between the engine and the driving compartment. They are Rock solid off road but some won't even get to 35 miles an hour. Some of the fastest ones may go 50.

I am by no means an expert but they say that that series of unimog is a tractor that is Road capable.

Thanks

They both are slow and extremely noisy. My 404 has zero insulation, it’s a Swiss 404. All unimogs are tractors that are road capable.

unirover

Observer
Unimogs are definitely first and foremost off-road vehicles with on-road capabilities, whereas vehicles like Land Rovers and Jeeps are primarily on-road vehicles with off-road capbility. That definitely means the priority with Unimog is off-road cability but there are lots of types of Unimogs, both "round" and "square" and they have all types of speeds and comfort depending on how they are set up. Comparing a 404 to a U1300L is like comparing a Willys to a Jeep JKU. The 404 S, which is a round type is a very different beast than a 416 (which is also round) for example. 404S are slow, crude and underpowered. They are awesome off road with a flexy frame and suspension, coil springs low gearing and diff locks. However they are dogs on road and fundamentally under-powered. They do not make really good overland vehicles although I know several people who have done trans Africa in them. A 416 could be slow depending on the engine tune and gears but it could also be set up to do 60+ mph no problem. These can make great overland vehicles but they are still a bit crude. However a lot of people like the simplicity and ruggedness of these. I've got a "square" U1300L that will do 70+ mph no worries. It will aso crawl over just about anything and pull like a mule. In terms of comfort and speed it beats a Defender or Vanagon. I drive x country all the time on highways and while it is louder than modern vehicles, it is not really that bad at all - doesn't bother me, my wife or kids. Also once you do get on really bad roads, a Unimog will proably be the fastest vehicle on those roads although at that stage everything slows down. Are Unimogs going to be as fast or comfortable as a modern pick-up - no. Will they go places you could never go in a modern pick-up - yes. It's all about priorities. If off-road ability is a bigger priority than highway cruising, a Unimog is a great option. If interior and ride comfort, and speed are a priority then something like a pick up is probably the way to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles