Silliest thing I have done... add to the list.

billiebob

For me the silliest thing was changing trailer tires to match the tow vehicle....

Why silly because with 120K miles on 2 trailers towing on highway, forestry road, logging spurs and over powerline passes, I have never had a trailer flat....

So silly but for all the silly reasons, ego, fireside chatter, "cool" factor I did it. So now my Jeep spare is also my trailer spare and if I'm the victim of silly decisions off road I could have 3 spares for the Jeep..... praying old age does not force that degree of silliness.

But I do love the look.

DSC_0141.jpeg

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Would that be attempting to go mudding in a stock '86 Mercury Grand Marquis?

Trying to win a race in a tired 283 powered over weight '64 Pontiac Custom Sport?

Not checking the depth of a mud hole before trying to drive through it in a Dodge Ramcharger then getting stuck?

Then doing the same thing again in a Grand Cherokee years later?

Maybe trading a '64 Wildcat convertible for an '86 RamCharger? That was pretty silly.

So was jumping an '81 Fleetwood....

How about not installing the rear U-joint correctly on a '70 Cutlass and having the drive shaft come loose while driving...
(That will scare the crap outta you when the driveshaft starts banging the underside of the car....)

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Drove 6 hours to the US border to pick up a car that was stored 10 minutes from the border on the US side and realized I forgot my passport.

bluejeep

just a guy
Had a 'one of a kind' hat, with the letters JEEP embossed on a leather patch on the front (never saw another one like this prior to or since) and set it on the antenna so it wouldn't get stained while I did something on the Jeep. As I set it there, I said to myself -

"Dave, you probably shouldn't put it there because what if you drove off without removing it?".

You can probably guess what happened next.
Yep, finished what I was doing, drove off without removing it. Realized what I had done (stupidstupidstupid) and reenacted the event with another hat, noticing where it blew off. This was in front of the mean neighbor on the block (I think there's always one of these). Went up and knocked on his door, asked if he had seen a hat with JEEP embossed on it - of course he denied having seen anything of the sort.

Unfortunately there is no happy ending to this story - no hat, never have seen another one like it, moved out of the area.

TripLeader

Explorer
Had a 'one of a kind' hat, with the letters JEEP embossed on a leather patch on the front (never saw another one like this prior to or since) and set it on the antenna so it wouldn't get stained while I did something on the Jeep. As I set it there, I said to myself -

"Dave, you probably shouldn't put it there because what if you drove off without removing it?".

Yep, finished what I was doing, drove off without removing it. Realized what I had done (stupidstupidstupid) and reenacted the event with another hat, noticing where it blew off. This was in front of the mean neighbor on the block (I think there's always one of these). Went up and knocked on his door, asked if he had seen a hat with JEEP embossed on it - of course he denied having seen anything of the sort.

Unfortunately there is no happy ending to this story - no hat, never have seen another one like it, moved out of the area.

I found a hat one time. It was really cool, but I caught lice from it. Really stupid of me.

Anyway, back to the hat... I was driving along in my Jeep. A U-Haul truck passed me in the opposite direction and kept going. Then some angry guy in the neighborhood flagged me down. He had this really cool embossed Jeep hat. He said I could have it for free. He seemed really happy to give it to me.

As I was was trying it on, some other sunburned guy came around in the area. I wonder if he had lice too, 'cause he was looking puzzled and scratching his head.

Anyway, it was a great hat.

?

WeLikeCamping

Explorer

I lost a hat once, well, actually my wife lost it entering an anchorage on a local reservoir. It was a custom embroidered hat that said "Admiral" and was quite unique. It was a gift to my wife. Anyway, a gust of wind blew it off and before I could get astern with the boathook, it sunk. Being a reservoir and knowing when the levels would drop, I decided to wait and try to recover it later. Went back when all was dried out, hiked the entire cove, no hat. Several towels, spring clamps and other assorted boating things that tend to go overboard, but alas, no hat.

Few weeks later, I'm attending a Power Squadron raft up. I noticed one of the other guests had a hat that looked exactly like the hat I lost in the nearby cove. The woman wearing the hat admitted to finding the hat - surprisingly, in the cove where I lost it. Would she return it? nope, liked it too much. Don't blame her, it was a nice hat. Didn't make a friend either.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
…is keep trying to use the pathetic so called “search function” of this forum, since it eliminates most all of the relevant words I’m trying to use and then returns completely worthless results ?

Today’s wasted effort (in honor of this thread’s initiating poster, ‘Meanwhile in Canada,’

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles