This is the one !!

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Agreed, as they say, price is what you pay, value is what you get. That perceived "value" is relative to the buyers personal desires and finances but on a commercial scale I agree that there are much better investments out there.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Mind boggling....

From a functional perspective you could go out and buy a low mile 200 for a fraction of this.
But, but, but..... it's an 80 series! The most reliable and indestructible vehicle to ever grace this planet!

Yes. That was sarcasm. Yes, my comment was based on personal experience owning an 80 series.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I "liked" my 80 Series, but I never "loved" it. It's the same for all older vehicles, the majority of the appeal is in the classic/nostalgic aspect of it, the other part is usually in simplicity, parts availability and up until recently, the lower cost of entry. It's nice to have a straight axle and to be triple locked from the factory but the crap climate control, underpowered/slow engine, heater hose issues, corrosion prone chassis/body, etc. are rarely discussed amongst those lusting over them. In recent years the 60 and 80 Series trucks have gotten so out of hand in terms of sales price that they are no longer appealing to most due to price alone, including myself. OEM/original parts are no longer readily available in some instances either.

nickw

Adventurer
I "liked" my 80 Series, but I never "loved" it. It's the same for all older vehicles, the majority of the appeal is in the classic/nostalgic aspect of it, the other part is usually in simplicity, parts availability and up until recently, the lower cost of entry. It's nice to have a straight axle and to be triple locked from the factory but the crap climate control, underpowered/slow engine, heater hose issues, corrosion prone chassis/body, etc. are rarely discussed amongst those lusting over them. In recent years the 60 and 80 Series trucks have gotten so out of hand in terms of sales price that they are no longer appealing to most due to price alone, including myself. OEM/original parts are no longer readily available in some instances either.
I felt the same about my 78' FJ40 and part of the reason why I could never settle on a 60. As I get older I am better able to separate the emotion from the practicality. Old cruisers are cool, fact (I think we agree on).

Old cruisers are a PITA, 80 included. As you point out OEM parts availability for major stuff is slim picking if not unobtanium, which in my mind should make them less desirable as a expo rig unless the price is right.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I felt the same about my 78' FJ40 and part of the reason why I could never settle on a 60. As I get older I am better able to separate the emotion from the practicality. Old cruisers are cool, fact (I think we agree on).

Old cruisers are a PITA, 80 included. As you point out OEM parts availability for major stuff is slim picking if not unobtanium, which in my mind should make them less desirable as a expo rig unless the price is right.

You hit the nail on the head here, IMHO they just aren't worth it at current market values. That said, I love Cruisers, all of them.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
As I get older I am better able to separate the emotion from the practicality.
Yep. This reasoning is why I ended up with an XLT with Max Tow and a 6'5" box vs the F150 Tremor I liked the looks of better, haha

I looked at my usage and acknowledged I require a truck that can tow and carry stuff more than a truck with more off-road capability.

Edit: Yes, I do love old 60 series Cruisers. Especially stockish ones with dog dish hupcaps and aggressive tires.

Screenshot 2022-07-06 114403.png
maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

nickw

Adventurer
Yep. This reasoning is why I ended up with an XLT with Max Tow and a 6'5" box vs the F150 Tremor I liked the looks of better, haha

I looked at my usage and acknowledged I require a truck that can tow and carry stuff more than a truck with more off-road capability.

Edit: Yes, I do love old 60 series Cruisers. Especially stockish ones with dog dish hupcaps and aggressive tires.

View attachment 730473
View attachment 730474
Both are perfect.....235/85's or 265/75's, sign me up.....but you made the right call on the F150, emotion aside...

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Yea the F-150 Tremor is appealing but one with all of the right options is well into the 70's and that's just insane for a half-ton. And steelies with the center hubcaps and pizza cutters on a 60 Series is the most iconic Land Cruiser look I can think of.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Yea the F-150 Tremor is appealing but one with all of the right options is well into the 70's and that's just insane for a half-ton. And steelies with the center hubcaps and pizza cutters on a 60 Series is the most iconic Land Cruiser look I can think of.
Pricing for the tremor and the truck I ended up with was about equal. (would have ordered a 401a tremor) Just trucks built to serve different purposes.

Arktikos

Explorer
It's basically new, at triple the original price! As they say, the 80 series strikes a good balance between a classic and modern Cruiser. It's the last of the inline 6 and SFA, with a way better suspension than the older ones. That's a big deal for some people, such as myself.

I love all the Cruisers up through the 80 series. Carbureted F engines? Not so much. 3FE and 1FZ-FE? Yes please.

I can't remember which restoration company is putting the newer GR engines into their 40 series offerings, along with coil suspensions. One of those would really be sweet. I think they're about the same price as this 80 sold for.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
The perfect Cruiser is one that was never sold here in the states, the 105 Series. I would certainly buy a modernly built/restored older Cruiser from one of the few who do it over a bone stock specimen like this one for that kind of money.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris

View attachment 730473
View attachment 730474

Even more cool and practical when the OEM steelies are widen from 5.5 x15 to 8x15 and retain the cap clips! They ride and balance out so much better.

81F1A073-1E77-4DE3-8880-78D59A9C9452.jpeg

Arktikos

Explorer
The perfect Cruiser is one that was never sold here in the states, the 105 Series. I would certainly buy a modernly built/restored older Cruiser from one of the few who do it over a bone stock specimen like this one for that kind of money.

Why? It's basically a 100 body on an 80 frame and drivetrain.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Why? It's basically a 100 body on an 80 frame and drivetrain.

Yea, exactly. It's a more modern body and engine on the last coil sprung straight axle from the 80 Series. I owned an 80 Series, beyond it being triple locked with a straight axle it sucked. The air conditioning sucked, the engine and tranny sucked, it's more nostalgia than anything. I would rather spend more on a 60 Series with an 80 Series swapped drivetrain like a few shops offer now than to have a regular 80. I love all Cruisers but the 80 Series body to me is one of my least favorite.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier