OBS 350 as Platform?

GetOutThere!

Newb here.

Considering a flatbed set-up with a 1997 Ford F350 CCLB as the platform. 7.3 diesel. 4.10 gearing. Flatbed + camper = 3000 lbs.

Pluses? Minuses?

My DD is a 2015 1500 ecodiesel (should have gone gas) so I'm not very familiar with the older builds. And I'm definitely not a mechanic and want to spend my time exploring and not wrenching.

I do notice the new trucks are light years ahead of the old with torque, towing capacity (would like the option to tow <10,000 every once in a while) etc. I was shocked to see the new f150 is rated to tow more than the 97 f350. Probably ride nicer and quiter inside as well. (I'm only considering past/present 1 tons)

Anyways. Input appreciated.

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Newb here.

Considering a flatbed set-up with a 1997 Ford F350 CCLB as the platform. 7.3 diesel. 4.10 gearing.

Pluses? Minuses?

My DD is a 2015 1500 ecodiesel (should have gone gas) so I'm not very familiar with the older builds. And I'm definitely not a mechanic and want to spend my time exploring and not wrenching.

I do notice the new trucks are light years ahead of the old with torque, towing capacity (would like the option to tow <10,000 every once in a while) etc. I was shocked to see the new f150 is rated to tow more than the 97 f350. Probably ride nicer and quiter inside as well. (I'm only considering past/present 1 tons)

Anyways. Input appreciated.
Well, I personally really like that generation of Ford. However, the newest version is now 25 years old. You mentioned you are not a mechanic and don't want to spend your time wrenching. So, I would avoid any 25 year old vehicle if that is the case.

What are you towing that's 10,000 lbs?

BajaSurfRig

FWIW a few years ago I sold my 96 F350 CCLB 7.3 4x4 and am really happy I did. The truck left me stranded many times (IPR going out intermittently , ICP sensor, CPS, blew a hi pressure oil line, etc…). I spent more time than I wanted to chasing problems and fixing old things that were failing (window seals, switches, relays, etc.). The only things I miss are hearing the 7.3 start up and hearing the turbo spool haha. Unless you are towing over 10k every time you start the truck it’s hard to make a diesel make sense financially (they are more expensive to maintain than a similar gas rig). I went out and bought a 2014 F250 6.2 Gas and it has been flawless, it rides so much better, comes with an e-locker from the factory, and I am not spending time fixing old ******** (which instead gives you time to go out and enjoy your set up). Unless you really like wrenching don’t get an OBS 7.3, although they are the best looking truck Ford has ever made. Buenas suerte!!!

GoinBoardin

Observer
If you want to avoid wrenching I'd avoid an old truck. I have an OBS Ford and I'm often fixing something on it. 341k miles, plenty of dirt, and 26 years old makes it inevitable. Worn suspension parts, fix a corroded wire here, rebuild brakes, replace brake lines, weld up a crack, faded headlights, repack wheel bearings, U-joints, new fuel pump, rebuild engine, replace weather seals, another leaf pack worn out, replace mirrors (frozen folding mech = breakage), etc etc etc etc. Paying someone for that would be costly, and take time away from exploring. Doing the work myself, it's annoying at times but doesn't cost much cash, just lots of time.

BajaSurfRig

Also the frames of the OBS trucks are not at all stiff therefore you would need to build a proper 3 point mount for the flatbed…. If I could do it again I’d buy a 2017+ F350 6.2 for the aluminum body and the fully boxed frame (which you can slap a flatbed with no issues).

GoinBoardin

Observer
FWIW a few years ago I sold my 96 F350 CCLB 7.3 4x4 and am really happy I did. The truck left me stranded many times (IPR going out intermittently , ICP sensor, CPS, blew a hi pressure oil line, etc…). I spent more time than I wanted to chasing problems and fixing old things that were failing (window seals, switches, relays, etc.). The only things I miss are hearing the 7.3 start up and hearing the turbo spool haha. Unless you are towing over 10k every time you start the truck it’s hard to make a diesel make sense financially (they are more expensive to maintain than a similar gas rig). I went out and bought a 2014 F250 6.2 Gas and it has been flawless, it rides so much better, comes with an e-locker from the factory, and I am not spending time fixing old ******** (which instead gives you time to go out and enjoy your set up). Unless you really like wrenching don’t get an OBS 7.3, although they are the best looking truck Ford has ever made. Buenas suerte!!!
My OBS is a gas truck, so it sounds like the diesel is no better. Maybe worse? I've not been stranded in 18 years of ownership.. Good to hear on the 6.2L gas. I've been thinking something like that would be a sensible upgrade for me when I'm ready.

And yes, frames are definitely soft! My 3 point mount was a must. I cracked my flatbed mounts when it was hard mounted.

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
DO IT. Ignore all of these real-world experiences lol! I've got a 2001 Super Duty, so the next gen after your OBS, and I love it. Every second, every fume. Love turning wrenches and letting it purrr. There are a total of five sensors on the engine, a couple of wiring harnesses and it is a very simple truck to work on. I used to have an OBS and the main difference is 1999-2002 7.3 has real OBD2, interior is much better put together, but I do miss those Lego block lines on the OBS. Legendary truck if you can find it in good shape or plan on restoring. Cuz at this age, don't kid yourself (20+ years) anything is a restoration. Understand what you are getting into. They have plenty of power (do you really need 1000 ft lbs of torque? Then get a Freightliner), easy to mod, excellent fuel mileage, and are noisy beautiful fun!

tacollie

Glamper
I do love the OBS Fords. I seriously considered getting one when I bought my 2019. I decided I didn't want a hobby vehicle. If you don't mind working on your truck some and have an older vehicle the OBS will great be great. If you want to just turn the key and just drive it I would get 2011+ F250 or F350 with a 6.2. My F250 has 3300+ lbs payload and is rated to tow 14k.

Superduty

Adventurer
OBS is the generation before the 99s.

99 was the start of the superduty.

2017 was a major change in frame and body and though the trucks are still superduty, many call it the Alumiduty. Or the 17+ superduty.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier