Gladiator Pop-Up Pass Through Camper Build

Mules

Here's a new topic. How do I take this on and off by myself? Since it's not fully enclosed, I want to store it in my garage when not used and go from hardtop to convertible, to camper, fairly easily. My camper is too tall to drive in my garage, so ceiling mounted hoist won't work.

Let's see your ideas!! Here's a few I found.

Screen Shot 2022-07-14 at 6.17.11 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-07-14 at 6.23.41 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-07-15 at 7.13.26 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-07-15 at 7.14.41 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-07-17 at 9.10.42 AM.png

Last edited:

The Artisan

Adventurer
Here's a new topic. How do I take this on and off by myself? Since it's not fully enclosed, I want to store it in my garage when not used and go from hardtop to convertible, to camper, fairly easily. My camper is too tall to drive in my garage, so ceiling mounted hoist won't work.

Let's see your ideas!! Here's a few I found.

View attachment 732025View attachment 732026View attachment 732027View attachment 732028View attachment 732029

i was going to say engine hoist and have someone weld a tube arm that replaces the lift arm but supports the entire top. A rectangle with a tube extension. Lower it on a custom wheeled dolly and roll into corner of garage
Kevin

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
I used to use a pair of these on my F350 based FourWheel Camper which weighed about 1100 pounds. Super easy with 2 people, but doable with 1 (you just run side to side a lot) once you get the balance point figured out (and marked for future use). They take up just a little space when not in use as the bases detach and fold, and the lifting bar can be removed from the pipe. You can custom size the pipes (just standard galvanized pipe) to whatever height you need as the pully end caps are just a slip fit.

Plus another BIG plus is they are quite common so I see them on Craigslist in the $100 range.

hoist.jpg
Then as Kevin said, make a wheeled dolly (with a space to store these jacks along with the CCC Cool Camper Cap), and roll it to the storage location.

m-l_johnny

It’s unlikely my situation is the same as yours, but I’ll throw this out there anyway…
When I install or remove the hardtop from my CJ7, I put a snatch block on a stout tree branch, then use the winch on one of my other vehicles to hoist it up. Drive the Jeep away and lower the top down. I have some 2x4s with casters mounted that I secure to the bottom of the hardtop. Then I can roll it anywhere I want to store it.

Mules

It’s unlikely my situation is the same as yours, but I’ll throw this out there anyway…
When I install or remove the hardtop from my CJ7, I put a snatch block on a stout tree branch, then use the winch on one of my other vehicles to hoist it up. Drive the Jeep away and lower the top down. I have some 2x4s with casters mounted that I secure to the bottom of the hardtop. Then I can roll it anywhere I want to store it.
Great idea. I've used my truck's own winch over a tree limb to put a deer in the bed. It's a bit trickier to put on a camper shell on with the vehicles own winch, but you've got me thinking. ?

My other winch is on my side by side (Yamaha Rhino), which probably isn't heavy enough to lift my camper.

pith helmet

Not the same situation as yours but I use a Harbor Freight hand winch. I store the top up there Like this. I bundle he soft top up in a tarp and hoist it up there for storage, too F7B7F6A2-C78C-4871-8F4A-F82CE0070116.jpeg

Mules

Does anyone know of a similar hanging bag system available in the US? I think these would be great hanging on my two side walls.

B6336F17-234B-4939-A22F-7E3CA825688F.jpeg

Last edited:

dstefan

Not quite the same, but we’ve really liked this for clothes and smaller items. The hanging hooks are removeable and we hang it on small S hooks into their bar tacked daisy chain on the edge that the closet hooks loop through.
1659042457730.jpeg

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Does anyone know of a similar hanging bag system available in the US? I think these would be great hanging on my two side walls.
Adventure Wagon Mule Bags (click) look pretty close,

mb1.jpg

mb2.jpg
At $400 a pop :oops: you might have to sell your camper to afford them?

But then again these KombiLife bags (click) are $650 for two
kl.jpg

It seems like wheeled duffle bag(s) in the length(s) you need might work. Those have a ridged bottom (so a ridged back the way you would mount them to the sides. Remove the wheels and the slide out handle, and perhaps and side stiffeners on the ends. They can be had in the sub-$100 range.

wd2.jpg
wd1.jpgwb3.jpg

These (Amazon) are only 4 inches deep, so probably much smaller than you are looking for?
ww2.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94