2011 LR4 HSE Build and Service

Errant

Explorer
Yep, I’m not impressed with the dealer here. I just had mine in for some warranty work and it made a grinding/dragging sound all the way home. I pulled the wheels and discovered they dropped it to the ground without the wheels on ?

Nice build, always great seeing the LR3 and LR4 builds still taking place. Can’t beat the comfort of these vehicles to and from the trail and to be honest, they knock it out of the park on the trails compared to any other stock overlander.

mmbirtcher

Observer
Nice build, always great seeing the LR3 and LR4 builds still taking place. Can’t beat the comfort of these vehicles to and from the trail and to be honest, they knock it out of the park on the trails compared to any other stock overlander.

thanks, I’ve checked out your build over the years.

mmbirtcher

Observer
I ordered the Melvill & Moon canvas seat covers and installed them about a month ago. Really high quality. I had considered the other two high - quality covers from the US, but I really wanted a breathable natural canvas material. I think pricing was similar although turn around time was about 6 weeks. I’m expecting they’ll be a little more comfortable than the leather in the hot summer months. Love how they look!

IMG_3551.jpegIMG_3560.jpeg

mmbirtcher

Observer
I recently had the rover into the shop for a valve cover leak and ongoing check engine light due to emissions. They determined the PCV valve was bad and since the R cover was leaking, I agreed to have them swap out the covers. After looking into doing these myself, I determined that it was a bit too much for me to manage. They did the work, then two days later did an inspection for me only to discover that the drivers cover was leaking again but worse. Fast forward a few weeks, they have replaced the new cover on the drivers side two more times (it’s good now) and the passenger side once more. This is a good shop that does these regularly and found some manufacturing defect issues with the covers that weren’t really noticeable Unless you looked for it. in this case it really paid off literally to have them do the work as all the follow up replacements were free.

So! Watch out for bad valve covers out there if you get any. It seems there is a whole lot that have problems.

And totally unrelated - here’s a few pics from our September Colorado trip.

National Grasslands in KS - real hidden treasure.
IMG_0195.jpeg

Near Alma. Oliver Twist Lake at just over 12,000.
IMG_0193.jpeg

Oliver Twist
IMG_0192.jpeg

San Isabel NF dispersed camping near Clear Creek.
IMG_0191.jpeg

mmbirtcher

Observer
Next up on the maintenance / repair schedule - replace drivers side exhaust manifold gasket (I’ll let the shop do this as it looks like a tough job and I don’t have the time to do it). Hopefully this will cure the ever present check engine light for good. As a side note, I don’t know if the manifolds are a common issue with these but my Rover started its life in Cincinnati which can be a bit rough on cars in the winter due to salt use.

And. The front lower control arms (bushings) are due. Noticeable “clunk” on speed bumps. Occasional suspension fault (all original air system). I’m considering the RRS control arms which are reportedly “heavier duty”? As the air suspension is all original I may just swap out the whole system with the replacement one from Lucky8. I’m sure the bags will be due soon too.

Still cheaper than a car payment for new car. I think?

:unsure:

mmbirtcher

Observer
This might be my favorite modification I’ve ever done. It’s great to keep some water chilled for long drives. Or keep a pint cool on the way to a destination. Cheap too, easily found on eBay for about $200. Plug and play.

IMG_0196.jpeg

ComfyVan

I recently had the rover into the shop for a valve cover leak and ongoing check engine light due to emissions. They determined the PCV valve was bad and since the R cover was leaking, I agreed to have them swap out the covers. After looking into doing these myself, I determined that it was a bit too much for me to manage. They did the work, then two days later did an inspection for me only to discover that the drivers cover was leaking again but worse. Fast forward a few weeks, they have replaced the new cover on the drivers side two more times (it’s good now) and the passenger side once more. This is a good shop that does these regularly and found some manufacturing defect issues with the covers that weren’t really noticeable Unless you looked for it. in this case it really paid off literally to have them do the work as all the follow up replacements were free.

So! Watch out for bad valve covers out there if you get any. It seems there is a whole lot that have problems.

And totally unrelated - here’s a few pics from our September Colorado trip.

National Grasslands in KS - real hidden treasure.
View attachment 776799

Near Alma. Oliver Twist Lake at just over 12,000.
View attachment 776800

Oliver Twist
View attachment 776801

San Isabel NF dispersed camping near Clear Creek.
View attachment 776802
Waoh...how can I unsee that?! Nice rig there

DC DII

I ordered the Melvill & Moon canvas seat covers and installed them about a month ago. Really high quality. I had considered the other two high - quality covers from the US, but I really wanted a breathable natural canvas material. I think pricing was similar although turn around time was about 6 weeks. I’m expecting they’ll be a little more comfortable than the leather in the hot summer months. Love how they look!

View attachment 776797View attachment 776796

We own a 08 LR3/Discovery 3 and were wondering how you like these seat covers -fit, feel, etc...

We have a set of another brand that are of the same material and have finally worn out. Happy to find your post.

Thanks!
Erik

bri

Adventurer

View attachment 776797View attachment 776796

Did you just wire them the funds? Any complications? Looks like you did not do the 7 rear most jump seats, is that right? Any pictures of the rear covers?

mmbirtcher

Observer
We own a 08 LR3/Discovery 3 and were wondering how you like these seat covers -fit, feel, etc...

We have a set of another brand that are of the same material and have finally worn out. Happy to find your post.

Thanks!
Erik
Love the seat covers so far. The safari look, the natural cotton canvas. Time will tell how they feel in the hot St. Louis summer. I miss the perforated leather from my 2004 D2. Fit was great and tight also. Lots of very useful pockets with heavy duty zippers.

mmbirtcher

Observer
Did you just wire them the funds? Any complications? Looks like you did not do the 7 rear most jump seats, is that right? Any pictures of the rear covers?
I paid with my credit card. No problems, but they are made to order so may be as long as 6 weeks. Definitely a family owned business worth supporting even if not in US. I only did front two rows as I don’t use the 3rd row.IMG_4171.jpegIMG_4170.jpegIMG_4169.jpegIMG_4168.jpegIMG_4167.jpegIMG_4166.jpegIMG_4165.jpegIMG_4170.jpegIMG_4169.jpegIMG_4168.jpegIMG_4167.jpegIMG_4166.jpeg

DC DII

Look great and thanks for the heads up and posting photos. Our old Exmoor(?) covers have finally worn on our D3/LR3 and had a horrible time finding replacements. Again, many thanks!

Erik

mmbirtcher

Observer
For Sale!

ComfyVan

For Sale!

@gabrielef said it all!
You got a great well loved LR4 and patience will be your best friend. Just ignore the bad apples trying to mess with you. GLWTS!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier