2020 Ram 5500 DIY Composite Panel Camper Build Thread

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Curious what you are experiencing in the cab when the camper moves. Is it a hard thunk when the camper comes back down, or does the cab lurch, or... ?

Decent thunk when it comes back down but also, and maybe this is mental, is seeing the cab over portion move 5-6” left to right is crazy

simple

Adventurer
Regarding the subframe springs. Are you wanting less movement? How much movement is required to avoid damage to the composite box? I didn't see where the spring rate was listed for the springs in the link. Can you preload the subframe springs more to increase the force required to compress them as well as limit the length of compression?

rruff

Explorer
Decent thunk when it comes back down but also, and maybe this is mental, is seeing the cab over portion move 5-6” left to right is crazy

The mental part you can get over... ?

You aren't alone though. It seems that most people are on some spectrum of displeasure with the behavior of their "dynamic mounting". Mine will be sort of a 3-point with the pivot in the back. Offroad I doubt it will bother me, but it will be annoying onroad if it increases sway in turns (and I think it will). I may end up mounting shocks between the camper and frame to help this... got some old Corvette models (short with high damping) picked out...

I think it's best to start with a newer 1-ton boxed frame if you can! Hard mount everything and let the suspension deal with articulation.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
The mental part you can get over... ?

You aren't alone though. It seems that most people are on some spectrum of displeasure with the behavior of their "dynamic mounting". Mine will be sort of a 3-point with the pivot in the back. Offroad I doubt it will bother me, but it will be annoying onroad if it increases sway in turns (and I think it will). I may end up mounting shocks between the camper and frame to help this... got some old Corvette models (short with high damping) picked out...

Thats the catch. Mine has zero sway whatsoever on road and handles amazingly on even the tightest paved twisty roads.

I think it's best to start with a newer 1-ton boxed frame if you can! Hard mount everything and let the suspension deal with articulation.

I’ve seen you post this statement repeatedly and I still strongly disagree with it and will not argue about it or discuss it with ya.

Alloy

Since the #1 question i get is the same on both YouTube and instagram, regarding the springs for the subframe to truck frame, here ya go...

This is my latest attempt to stiffen it up. Works a little better, but still a ton of movement i dont care for.

Here is a video of the shocks at different settings, and the new subframe springs.

Video is long, boring, and poorly edited, but youlll get the idea:

You could try larger diameter spring over the smaller diameter springs but if the box is moving allot it's because the fixed points on the chassis is moving allot.

If the side to side differential over the axle is 3" then differential at the back will be more. It might be better if the fixed point was over the axle.

There a uck of allot of force being transferred into the rear frame mounts. Rod ends will be a maintenance item.

180out

mine moves a foot left to right when i am on dirt roads. its real crazy when i have to cross a ditch and can not get squared up on it. goes down the pavement fine without any issue just like you said. i have a short cab truck so it is very noticeable. i have not had any issues as a result however just took some getting used to. mine is mounted with the two point system from GXV. i guess it best to let it flop around back there rather then put those stresses on the box.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
mine moves a foot left to right when i am on dirt roads. its real crazy when i have to cross a ditch and can not get squared up on it. goes down the pavement fine without any issue just like you said. i have a short cab truck so it is very noticeable. i have not had any issues as a result however just took some getting used to. mine is mounted with the two point system from GXV. i guess it best to let it flop around back there rather then put those stresses on the box.

Good info, thanks

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Put the power system to the full test this weekend.

Wife enjoys cooking while camping and we have been bringing the air fryer along now and usually do a batch of chicken wings or 2, and its amazing.

However, this time was a large group, woke up, used air fryer to make bacon (amazing if you havent tried it) and ran the air fryer for almost 3 hours non stop making a huge batch of chicken wings for the group.

Air Fryer draws 1600watts

We have:
875 Watts of Solar
800ah lithium Bank
60a Sterling DCDC charger

This got our battery bank down to 52%, the lowest its been.

When we broke camp the next day to head home, battery bank was still around 52-53%

2 Hour Drive home, the 60a DCDC charger had the bank up to 71%, not bad but could be better.

Winter time sun angle does make a big difference in the solar recharge rate for sure.

Sterling does now make a 120a DCDC charger that will fit where my 60a sits, so that will likely be an upgrade soon.

Simple fix would be not to use the air fryer as much.

When i am solo, i camp with pop tarts and whiskey. When wife comes, she loves to cook, i sure as hell arent going to tell her not to!

#thestruggleisreal

motorman

Good report on the electrical system design. So come summer running your ac the batteries will not be much lower with similar 'abuse' having solar picking up much of the slack.

This is perfect timing as I am about to mount my panels in the roof of my ambulance

How are the glue down rigid panel mounts treating you from post 511 & 512?

Any reservations?

You used screws and VHB tape, correct?

Thanks again for the open source!

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Good report on the electrical system design. So come summer running your ac the batteries will not be much lower with similar 'abuse' having solar picking up much of the slack.

This is perfect timing as I am about to mount my panels in the roof of my ambulance

How are the glue down rigid panel mounts treating you from post 511 & 512?

Any reservations?

You used screws and VHB tape, correct?

Thanks again for the open source!

Yessir, thats what i am liking…

The AC only draws 900-1000 watts, and the box is super insulated, so i'll be totally fine in that regard.

Thats why i take advice here with a grain of salt, everyone and their mom said i couldnt run an AC off of lithium, had to do a mini split, bla bla bla. Yeah... WRONG! :)

I was pretty skeptical of those glued down mounts, and still often check them, 2 years later, and they look as good as new, and rock solid. Did not use any VHB tape. Just the screws.

I'd totally do it the same all over again.

HOWEVER, with technology always changing, i am betting some panels with dang near double the wattage will be out at some point in the maybe distant future, so will see if they can easily be removed to install new panels. Will See! :)

Open source is what this forum is (or at least was) all about! Happy to help!

Last edited:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Oh Man

I had zero intentions of selling this thing, as i freaking love it, but in the last couple months, i've gotten some pretty crazy offers, at least one i am sure was serious.

I know its hard to get a straight answer here, but out of curiousity, what would yall ballpark the value of this thing right now?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke