Leer, ARE, other?

CplDevilDog

Hello all,

Hopefully this is the right forum. I am looking to replace my tonneau cover with a camper shell. The tonneau just does not have enough room for all the camping gear and playing Tetris in the rain is no fun. Add to that the dust and water intrusion and the loud "clack, clack, clack" as it slides along it's tracks (sorry camping neighbors) and I'm ready for a change.

Looking at Leer and ARE fiberglass contractor shells with the solid doors all around. The Leer would be fiberglass doors and the ARE aluminum, I believe. Max budget is ~$5k. I've spent weeks looking on Facebook for a used one, but with Nissan Frontier Longbed (less than 2% of all the trucks on the road) I don't think I'm going to find one.

Any advice on build quality of either brand or living with a camper shell would be much appreciated. Thank you.

There's no real difference between ARE and Leer. Get the one with the dealer near to you that you like (the dealer, that is.)

Make sure the options you want are actually available. I got burned when trying to get a fiberglass ARE for my Frontier.

It wont fit right ... they don't sell enough Frontier caps (ARE or Leer) for them to care. In particular, watch the flange on the cap side and, if you get a full rear door, the cutouts for the taillights.

If you're going to insulate it then don't get the headliner. If you're not going to insulate it then get the deadliner. I'd also get the light option and the backup camera, if you don't have a backup camera.

Windows are overrated. You need ventilation, but, otherwise, my read cand cap windows don't really do much except get cold and let people see in.

I ended up with an aluminum contractor cap and barn doors on the rear. It's great!

I've got a thread here, and a longer one on ClubFrontier:

CplDevilDog

Thanks for the very informative post. My wife got a laugh out of the "I hate outside" post.

Right now I am looking at the

ARE CX Fiberglass with the aluminum windoors, drop T handles all around.

Leer RCC Fiberglass

The difference seems to be the ARE has aluminum doors and the Leer has fiberglass doors. Having rails put on the roof so I can add Yakima landing pads and HD bars later.

Looking at a few different rearview mirror LCD replacement options.

I have owned 3 Snugs and like them a lot. They are laid up not blow fiberglass, super strong, I walk on mine loading my kayak all the time.
Having said that I would look at a super cab, strong, metal will support a massive amount of weight. they don't match the truck as well but I'll take function over looks. Your Mileage May Very.

ThundahBeagle

I've got a fiberglass Leer 180 with Cap Rac by the old Trac Rac company (previously of Massachusetts, now owned by Thule) bars on top, and windows. Though I prefer a cab-high look, I like the little extra height of the 180 model in practice because I don't crouch way down as easy as I used to.

For me, the windows are helpful when backing up. If you plow with your truck at all, the windows do offer better visibility. It is easy enough to cover from the inside when needed, either ad-hoc or set something up.20210530_160630.jpg

4000lbsOfGoat

The only input I can offer is that the windows on my ARE cap leak like a sieve. It came with the truck when I bought it but I would never buy another one.

TripLeader

Explorer
Just one other comment to incite confusion.

I've had a used Jason cap on my 2005 F150 for nearly a decade. Its the Pace model. I've been happy with it. Its very basic. The sticker says it was made in 2004.

It looks like they have a fair product line.

CCH

Adventurer
ARE offers a reinforced roof that Leer does not. Build times on ARE are quite a bit longer than Leer according to my dealer, almost as bad as RSI which is what I have on order. I have owned Leer, ARE and Snugtop. None of them have been truly weatherproof, but I haven’t noticed major quality differences between them.

4000lbsOfGoat

Which windows? All the brands use essentially the same windows. Did you check the seals?
Both side windows. I cannot assume that anything under the cap will stay dry. I have not checked any seals but I can only assume they are no good since they let water in...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online