1998 Ford Club Wagon 5.4L V8 "Sportsmobile" Camper Van - $36,000

Tatwood09

Curious to get forum members input on this lifted, but 2x4, van. I took a look at it and seems to be as advertised but having a hard time determining a good price. Thoughts?

Reactions: zip

zip

I prefer social distancing.
TW09,
At the present time, everything is stupidly over priced, with seemingly no end in sight to this madness.
It appears to be a pretty nice looking vehicle.
If you like it, and seller is not willing to drop the price, buy it, or move on.
I’ve decided to keep my older rig and put some money into it versus paying a ridiculous price.
Good luck with your decision.

It looks a bit top heavy and a bit expensive for a 2wd v8 with 145k. 8-10k more than I would pay. Prices are all over the place right now but there are deals to be found if you are patient.

zip

I prefer social distancing.
Thanks for the input Zip and TRT! Appreciate it, the lack of 4x4 is my primary concern and the price for that many miles. I'll keep you posted on what I end up doing.

If you put a locker on there, it will get you to most places, but definitely not the same as 4wd.

Thanks for the input Zip and TRT! Appreciate it, the lack of 4x4 is my primary concern and the price for that many miles. I'll keep you posted on what I end up doing.

As a comparison… for 5 thousand more you could buy my 2010 v10 With 116k miles and a top of the line 4x4 conversion. The interior isn’t as nice but my wife, 2 dogs and myself regularly live out of it comfortably for months at a time. And it will still haul 12 foot lumber and fit a sheet of plywood.

I say this both as a shameless plug and as an example of what else is on the market right now in the same price range. Good luck with your search!

If you put a locker on there, it will get you to most places, but definitely not the same as 4wd.

I second this! Good tires, a heavy van and rear locker will get you a long way.
I regularly run trails in my van just using the rear locker instead of 4x4. Honestly the van is so capable in 4x4 it starts to get boring. Leaving it in 2wd keeps It interesting. That said I only do this in situations that I won’t damage the Trail or hurt the van.

jlcanterbury

Cool van, seems like a decent build. I'd say it's a but over-priced and should be below $30k

If you're looking for a good starter 4x4 van to build off (not sure if you want to do the build yourself), I have one for sale:

Tatwood09

Thanks All, That was my thought as well RE: Price. I'd love to do a buildout but currently between jobs and hope to take advantage this winter and ski for a few months out of it - time is not on my side.

Happy Thanksgiving!

motovan_mn

As a comparison… for 5 thousand more you could buy my 2010 v10 With 116k miles and a top of the line 4x4 conversion. The interior isn’t as nice but my wife, 2 dogs and myself regularly live out of it comfortably for months at a time. And it will still haul 12 foot lumber and fit a sheet of plywood.

I say this both as a shameless plug and as an example of what else is on the market right now in the same price range. Good luck with your search!

I'd buy this one! I just built a 2013 E350 w/ V10 and UJOR conversion, and let's just say it cost a LOT more than what he's selling his for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior