Thoughts on 2023 Ford Super Duty for Family Travel?

TexasSixSeven

Observer
Wow, last I heard, and it’s been awhile it was around 2k.

it never was actually $2K. It was expected to be in the $2K range at the start of the project, but then came in at $2800+ another $250-300 for shipping. It was going to be $3100+ just shipped to your door, then another $500-600+ for installation or DIY.

ramblinChet

I believe a few of the most important questions you must ask yourself include:
  • how much time is planned driving versus camping
  • what types of terrain do you see yourself in most often
  • how old are your children and how often, or how much longer, will they be traveling
With my build I was confident I would be spending much more time camping so I went for the long bed since I would be spending much of my time back there. Since I fly solo I even opted for a regular cab although I had considered the crew cab for additional storage space. Regarding that, I decided to minimize what I carry with me.

When we discuss the types of terrain you plan to travel don't forget that much time will be on pavement. I spend most of my time exploring national and state forests and parks and 99.997% of the time I am in 2WD, even when traversing through some sloppy stuff, or climbing a shelf road with loose gravel and occasional rocks. What I am getting at here is that for exploration and overlanding we are not building rock-crawling rigs. Don't give away the comfort of an 8' bed since you desire to increase your approach, breakover, and departure angles by a fraction of a degree. A mild lift and high-clearance bumpers will buy much of those angles back anyway if you really need it.

If your children are in their teens I would imagine the vehicle you are building should be focused on travel for you and another versus the entire family. If you are blessed and they are young, you can build with confidence knowing that they will be with you for many years to come. Regarding use of the front cab for additional sleep, depending upon the conditions you plan to sleep in, you must also consider an additional heating and cooling system for that area. Freezing temperatures, hot nights filled with bugs, etc.

We are on a parallel path to some degree. I built my rig for 4-5 years of travel throughout these United States, maybe 1-2 years in the great white north, and then on down to central and south America. Just about anyone with a wrench can work on my 6.4L Hemi, it's a very simple engine. And I purposely minimized the electrical complexity and went with a stripped Tradesman package.

Finally, pay the extra few dollars for the factory gears, lockers and limited slips - whatever is available.

232582327_4262968317104220_5156522520734339324_n.jpg

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
If your children are in their teens I would imagine the vehicle you are building should be focused on travel for you and another versus the entire family.
This is where we're at. Possibly looking at changing our current trailer in a year or so.

Kids are 16 and 22. They still do come camping but, not as often as they used too. I was thinking that could open up the possibility of couples trailers. That idea was vetoed.

Why? Well where would our future grand kids sleep when grandpa and grandma take them camping?

I said with their parents. That answer didn't go over well.

Trixxx

I don’t think 6ft 9in qualifies as short. Sounds perfect

For purposes of the thread, the 6’9” bed for super duties is considered the short (or maybe regular?), while the 8’ is considered the long bed..

Sort of just semantics.. I did see the discussions of Tacomas in which the short vs long (long still shorter than the ‘short’ super duty) plays more of a factor.

montypower

Adventure Time!
When we discuss the types of terrain you plan to travel don't forget that much time will be on pavement. I spend most of my time exploring national and state forests and parks and 99.997% of the time I am in 2WD, even when traversing through some sloppy stuff, or climbing a shelf road with loose gravel and occasional rocks. What I am getting at here is that for exploration and overlanding we are not building rock-crawling rigs. Don't give away the comfort of an 8' bed since you desire to increase your approach, breakover, and departure angles by a fraction of a degree. A mild lift and high-clearance bumpers will buy much of those angles back anyway if you really need it.

I'd add a couple things to consider. First there is no reward or gold star for not using 4wd. It seems that winches are often looked at similarly 4wheelers. It's a tool. Use it if you have it.

4wd needs to be engaged monthly and exercised. Otherwise it may not work when you need it!

There's a huge advantage with 4wd on gravel and dirt roads and it could save you from ending in a ditch. The time to engage 4wd is BEFORE you need it or become stuck. Front wheel drive will assist in steering control and help pull your truck in the direction you desire. Use it if you have it!

Biggest advantage of shorter wheelbase is turning. Not just rock crawling or trail use. Buy the shortest wheelbase you can. You'll be thankful for it everytime you park, turn around or maneuver off road.

Macfly

I believe a few of the most important questions you must ask yourself include:
  • how much time is planned driving versus camping
  • what types of terrain do you see yourself in most often
  • how old are your children and how often, or how much longer, will they be traveling
With my build I was confident I would be spending much more time camping so I went for the long bed since I would be spending much of my time back there. Since I fly solo I even opted for a regular cab although I had considered the crew cab for additional storage space. Regarding that, I decided to minimize what I carry with me.

If your children are in their teens I would imagine the vehicle you are building should be focused on travel for you and another versus the entire family. If you are blessed and they are young, you can build with confidence knowing that they will be with you for many years to come. Regarding use of the front cab for additional sleep, depending upon the conditions you plan to sleep in, you must also consider an additional heating and cooling system for that area. Freezing temperatures, hot nights filled with bugs, etc.

We are on a parallel path to some degree. I built my rig for 4-5 years of travel throughout these United States, maybe 1-2 years in the great white north, and then on down to central and south America. Just about anyone with a wrench can work on my 6.4L Hemi, it's a very simple engine. And I purposely minimized the electrical complexity and went with a stripped Tradesman package.

Finally, pay the extra few dollars for the factory gears, lockers and limited slips - whatever is available.

View attachment 753617
That's such a good looking rig!

JustJim

I am not sure if this thread can be resurrected, but here it goes...

Within the next month, I am planning to order a 2024 F350 SRW, SuperCab (i.e. not the SuperCrew), 4X4, with the 7.3 engine. I appreciated the earlier discussion on the short bed vs. the 8 foot bed and will be going with the longer box. Going with the SuperCab saves 10 inches in cab length (over the crew cab), which will promptly be lost by going with a long box. I will be carrying a Northstar Laredo SC truck camper full-time with a hitch rack/motorcycle off the back, and I need/want the TC to sit flush to the rear bumber. Also, I am going with the Lariat, 4.30 gears, and upfitter switches. I can't remember if the FX4 package is an option, but if so, I would get it for the skid plates, etc.. I would appreciate any feedback and suggestions on this build.

Lastly, since the direction I am going is very similar to Adam35 who started this thread, it would be great to hear what he ultimately did and how he likes it.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
For the OP, add me to the list of those who went from a 200 Series back to a full-size truck. While we don't have any children we were still finding ourselves close to running out of room and having to get creative with our packing in the Cruiser on multi-day trips. I ended up with a 2023 F250 Tremor CCSB with the 6.7 HO. I am back to having more room than I know what to do with on most days and IMHO that's a good problem to have. The fold flat rear storage and floor is the best design in a HD truck and allows for us to put our large dogs in the back seat with ease. Payload is over 3K and towing at 23K, if I can't carry it or tow it with this truck then I don't need it.

My last truck was a single cab RAM 3500 and it had a silly high payload rating. While I appreciated the shorter wheel base when off-road in Death Valley last year and the opportunities it afforded me for a flatbed build, we found that the single cab wasn't ideal when traveling and the wife wasn't a fan. Once I abandoned our flatbed build I realized it wasn't the best truck for us at that time. I might explore that arena again at some point in the future but for now this crew cab Tremor will tow/haul anything I want, carry just as many passengers as the Cruiser (more comfortably too I might add), has a ton of bed space/storage, gets better fuel economy (+5-7 mpg) and has even more off-road nannies than the Cruiser (it's size will be its limiting factor there).

I think you are making a wise move considering your needs, it's hard to let go of a 200 Series, I know it was a sad day for myself, but at some point we outgrow a platform and it's best to recognize that and move on to something that better addresses your needs.

ramblinChet

I am not sure if this thread can be resurrected, but here it goes...

Within the next month, I am planning to order a 2024 F350 SRW, SuperCab (i.e. not the SuperCrew), 4X4, with the 7.3 engine. I appreciated the earlier discussion on the short bed vs. the 8 foot bed and will be going with the longer box. Going with the SuperCab saves 10 inches in cab length (over the crew cab), which will promptly be lost by going with a long box. I will be carrying a Northstar Laredo SC truck camper full-time with a hitch rack/motorcycle off the back, and I need/want the TC to sit flush to the rear bumber. Also, I am going with the Lariat, 4.30 gears, and upfitter switches. I can't remember if the FX4 package is an option, but if so, I would get it for the skid plates, etc.. I would appreciate any feedback and suggestions on this build.

Lastly, since the direction I am going is very similar to Adam35 who started this thread, it would be great to hear what he ultimately did and how he likes it.

I am clicking through the options right now for an F350 SuperCab Lariat SRW w/8' box. Based upon my previous two years of travel and sleeping in my Four Wheel Camper, these would be my options:

• 4.30 electronic locking axle ratio
  • Snowplow/camper package
    • adds 250 amp alternator
  • FX4 Off-Road package
  • Splash guards/mud flaps - rear
  • Splash guards/mud flaps - front
  • Tough Bed (spray-in bedliner)
  • Wheel well liner - front/rear
  • 12,000 lb. Ford Performance Parts winch by Warn
    • upgrades to 410 amp dual alternator
  • Engine block heater
  • LED roof marker/clearance lamps
  • Roadside assistance kit - with Ford logo
  • First Aid kt - with Ford logo
  • All weather floor mats without carpet floor mats
  • Carpet delete
  • Vehicle safe by Console Vault
  • Upfitter switches
MSRP $72,025!

KruegerB

For the OP, add me to the list of those who went from a 200 Series back to a full-size truck. While we don't have any children we were still finding ourselves close to running out of room and having to get creative with our packing in the Cruiser on multi-day trips. I ended up with a 2023 F250 Tremor CCSB with the 6.7 HO. I am back to having more room than I know what to do with on most days and IMHO that's a good problem to have. The fold flat rear storage and floor is the best design in a HD truck and allows for us to put our large dogs in the back seat with ease. Payload is over 3K and towing at 23K, if I can't carry it or tow it with this truck then I don't need it.

My last truck was a single cab RAM 3500 and it had a silly high payload rating. While I appreciated the shorter wheel base when off-road in Death Valley last year and the opportunities it afforded me for a flatbed build, we found that the single cab wasn't ideal when traveling and the wife wasn't a fan. Once I abandoned our flatbed build I realized it wasn't the best truck for us at that time. I might explore that arena again at some point in the future but for now this crew cab Tremor will tow/haul anything I want, carry just as many passengers as the Cruiser (more comfortably too I might add), has a ton of bed space/storage, gets better fuel economy (+5-7 mpg) and has even more off-road nannies than the Cruiser (it's size will be its limiting factor there).

I think you are making a wise move considering your needs, it's hard to let go of a 200 Series, I know it was a sad day for myself, but at some point we outgrow a platform and it's best to recognize that and move on to something that better addresses your needs.
Can echo this sentiment too - went from a 2014 200 to a new 2022 F250 in December 2022. While I always loved the design of the 200, I have used the F250 so much more. The 2023+ has several nice tweaks to it, and should check a lot of boxes.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Can echo this sentiment too - went from a 2014 200 to a new 2022 F250 in December 2022. While I always loved the design of the 200, I have used the F250 so much more. The 2023+ has several nice tweaks to it, and should check a lot of boxes.

There's definitely been a period of getting used to being back in a full size truck. This is my fifth Super Duty since 2011 so I am fan but this is by far the best one in terms of amenities, tech and power (6.7 HO). I spend every October to early March hunting four-legged critters, chasing/guiding quail over dogs and waterfowl thrown in the mix as well. A truck simply makes more sense for those activities and then there's the motorcycles as well and while I have a nice trailer for those the bed does open options for transport there as well. I am quite pleased at the moment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior