2021 RAM 3500 Tradesman | AEV Prospector | FWC Grandby

ramblinChet

Time for a change of pace since overlanding is not exclusive to dirt or gravel roads, or muddy trails, etc. Overlanding does include paved roads also so here is some information gathered on 1,792 miles over three days beginning in central Ohio, passing through West Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, North Carolina, Tennessee, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, and finally Mississippi. I drove on rough roads, smooth ones, in the city, on the highway, in light traffic and heavy, etc.

In summary, I can say the ride was quite comfortable and I felt great once it ended. This trip confirmed that I was correct in selecting the AEV Prospector package with 37" AT tires. As mentioned previously, I really desired the AEV Prospector XL with 40" MT tires and had the money saved. It ended up an exercise in self-discipline and despite my endless internal arguments I opted for the Prospector package with 37s since it was the best choice for my application. This long trip combined with my recent trip from Pennsylvania to Colorado and back confirmed that I had made the best choice. We can dive into all the technical details regarding the ratio of sprung to unsprung mass, rotational mass and it's impact on acceleration and braking, etc. In short, this trip was a dream.

Some of you know I roadraced motorcycles in a past life. My license was through WERA and my final season was in 1996 where I competed around these United States in the WERA National Challenge Series. I could share stories and try to explain but unless you have raced on the track and battled others at 160+ MPH it would just be words. Needless to say, motorcycles have a special place in my heart. Here is me on my first brand new motorcycle, a 1989 Suzuki GSX-R750, built to compete in production class roadracing. This was the world's first street legal race bike.
21958_1311417993877_7793520_n.jpg

Below is the only picture I have of me racing my final year in 1996 on a brand new 1996 Suzuki GSX-R750 SRAD. My boy is down below me and as you might have guessed, he is on a Suzuki GSX-R750 also. He flies and is so much better compared to me - I am happy for him and impressed with his self-discipline.
IMG950589.jpg

Why am a rambling on about motorcycles and how special they are to me? It's because during my recent adventure I was driving past a place where I had always wanted to spend some time and it was my overland rig that carried me to the front gate of Barber Motorsports Park and Museum in Birmingham, Alabama. As with most of my adventures, this was not planned, it just happened. With over 1,600 immaculate motorcycles in their collection and over half on display, it is nothing short of amazing. If you have a day and are in the area and can appreciate fine mechanical machines, I would encourage you to stop by.

First, some beautiful artwork outside the main building...
2022-11-16_12.11.15.jpeg

Here is a tiny section of their huge collection spanning five floors.
2022-11-16_12.56.59.jpeg

Here is the exact make and model motorcycle my uncle Tom raced - a 1973 Husqvarna CR400. It was my uncle who showed me that anyone with a desire could race. BTW - Steve McQueen rode a Husky 400 in the movie "On any Sunday."
2022-11-16_14.20.22.jpeg

There are so many interesting motorcycles there to enjoy. Here are three that caught my eye. The first is powered by a Rotax rotary engine.
20221116_124435.jpeg

Here is another powered by a Wankel eccentric rotary engine.
20221116_122309.jpeg

And finally, for aviation enthusiasts, a seven-cylinder, air cooled, radial engine. I can't even begin to imagine how wonderful she sounds!
20221116_161011.jpeg

Of course, they also have the Porsche Track Experience available on the 17-turn, 2.38 mile, road racing course.
2022-11-16_15.25.17.jpeg

And I will end with this beauty, so very simple yet beautiful. A 1952 Triumph custom build by Jared Weems of Tampa, Florida, back in the early 80s.
2022-11-16_15.49.43.jpeg

Last edited:

Overdrive

Adventurer
Chet, thank you for the great trip reports and wonderful pics! I've been following your build since day one. Very well done!

I need to go see Barber Motorsports!

ramblinChet

My recent adventure includes time spent in Homochitto National Forest in south west Mississippi and with around 200k acres, there is much for me to explore.

It felt great to roll again along smooth roads surrounded by loblolly pines. This took me back many decades ago to time spent in lower Alabama and the Florida panhandle. While exploring I had several hunting dogs running with me for a bit since it was the first day of deer season here. I also stopped and talked with a few hunters who had been hunting the area for decades and were more than willing to share all sorts of details regarding camp spots, local history, etc.
2022-11-20_11.37.57.jpeg

Here along the shore of Clear Springs Lake I stopped for lunch and enjoyed the warm sun. Just a few hundred meters to the west was a nice pavilion on the actual shore of the lake where the water was much clearer.
2022-11-20_13.06.12.jpeg

This is an interesting sign that I am not accustomed to seeing in the middle of a national forest. I suspected there were logging or drilling operations taking place.
2022-11-20_13.05.14.jpeg

At another location nearby I happened upon this oil well. I saw other wells frequently in Pennsylvania and West Virginia.
2022-11-20_16.07.19.jpeg

Here is an amazing primitive camp spot on high ground off FR-104E. It is a great area that can easily fit 2-3 vehicles and I plan to visit again.
2022-11-20_13.35.51.jpeg

We started with some loblolly pines so we might as well end with them. Homochitto National Forest may not have mountains and associated vistas but it still has beauty in spades.
2022-11-20_14.53.57.jpeg

While stocking up on supplies in the small town of Bude, Mississippi, a local outdoors-man approached me and asked about my truck. After a few moments this kind gentleman invited me to their evening Discipleship Training at 1800 to be followed by a Soup & Cornbread Fellowship at 1900. Of course I promised to join and after a few more wonderful hours exploring I drove over to First Baptist Church of Bude, Mississippi, and joined other men.

Our Discipleship Training focused on a small part of The Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan from 1678. We had an energetic discussion and it was wonderful to sit and discuss this topic with a dozen-plus other men. Decades ago, while at university, I was exposed to The Pilgrim's Progress but must admit I can not recall ever reading it completely. I promised myself to pick up a copy and am looking forward to reading it during my travels.

Although I have not yet explicitly stated it, my travels are focused on adventure and exploration. Activities associated with this include visiting museums, talking with locals, enjoying local foods, driving slow, driving even slower off-road, enjoying short hikes, and relaxing to read classic novels.

I am much more familiar with another piece, The Celestial Railroad, by Nathanial Hawthorne, from 1843. The two pieces of work are related in a most interesting way. If you enjoy reading, I will leave it up to you to discover how. As an adventurer, another interesting fact is both works focus on our journey through life...

John_Bunyan,_The_Road_From_the_City_of_Destruction_to_the_Celestial_City_1821_Cornell_CUL_PJM_...jpg

Last edited:

ramblinChet

Today I installed my Rotopax two gallon water GEN2 and two Rotopax holders from AT Overland. It took around five minutes for each side and required a single combination wrench.

My only initial complaint is that the Rotopax GEN2 are very loose inside the holders and they rattle. When going over bumps at low speed you can hear them knock. If you have your window down, the sound is not nice. For such a nice looking product I am surprised they gave no though to noise, vibration, and harshness (NVH) issues. I suspect they left some extra room for can swelling under heat or altitude changes although a simple solution would have eliminated 80% of the noise. I have plans to solve this issue in a very simple way.

This system fills unused space between the cab and camper and I think that is a great solution. Drivers side:
2022-11-27_19.52.46.jpeg

Passenger side:
2022-11-27_19.54.21.jpeg

At Overland are smart and manufacture one bracket that works on both sides. On the drivers side the lock it up top while on the passenger side it is on the bottom.
2022-11-27_19.53.04.jpeg

Opposite the lock, you have a tab/slot joint method - simple and effective.
2022-11-27_19.53.21.jpeg

Included are carriage bolts of the correct length plus a washer and nylon lock nut. Very nice addition which saved me time and effort.
2022-11-27_19.53.41.jpeg

Attachments

• 2022-11-22_20.25.15.jpeg
    2022-11-22_20.25.15.jpeg
    958 KB · Views: 69
  • 2022-11-22_20.25.46.jpeg
    2022-11-22_20.25.46.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 69
  • 2022-11-22_20.26.08.jpeg
    2022-11-22_20.26.08.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 69
  • 2022-11-22_20.26.30.jpeg
    2022-11-22_20.26.30.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 68
Last edited:

ramblinChet

The death rattle of the AT Overland Rotopax holders was fixed for $7 in a hardware store parking lot with sponge window seal and a razor; and took maybe five minutes per side. I was pulling into an area with other campers late at night last week and the gravel road had these rattling so loud it sounded like something was broken. All I could do is smile as everyone looked trying to figure out what was broken. Later the next day I jumped out of the forest and headed to a nearby town with a hardware store.

I installed two strips of sponge window seal on each carrier and now both are snug with no rattle. We will see how long this lasts and if it is the correct solution. For now, it stopped the constant slow speed death rattle.
2022-11-25_19.49.30.jpeg

Here is what I used:
20221125_155933.jpeg

Closing shot near Camp Shelby south of Hattiesburg, Mississippi.
2022-11-27_19.54.42.jpeg

Last edited:

ramblinChet

That museum looks amazing and that 7 cylinder engine looks pretty neat too. Almost looks like an old aircraft engine too me.

Best part though was your son's post. Very cool.

Yes, it was a most interesting engine and I would have loved to have heard it although I am not sure it could have made me smile as much as a Pratt & Whitney Wasp engine - they are mechanical music. It's an incredible museum and I still can not believe all the variations or motorcycles I was able to see.

My son has turned out to be such a wonderful young man - he is nothing like me, lol.

ramblinChet

My latest adventures took place in Blackwater Creek State Forest in western Florida. So far west it was in the central time zone.

Here I am rolling in at night, as usual. With only 10.5 hours of daylight this time of year I find it difficult to pull into camp mid-afternoon and settle in before the night falls. If I am in camp and the sun goes down my body begins shutting down which results in me being in bed very early., Not bad but I desire to explore more.
2022-11-24_19.28.02.jpeg

In the forest is Wilderness Landing on Blackwater River - it is a free camp site, with free bathrooms and free showers. The facilities are maintained by a camp host and they are very clean and modern. What an amazing find! There are only around fifteen sites and there are no reservations so arrive early and enjoy.
2022-11-25_10.48.34.jpeg

Unfortunately it was overcast most of the week and my pictures really do not show the sugar white sand and tea colored water. If my memory serves me correct the water is tinted like tea due to tannin acid from tree roots. Yes, there are alligators occasionally observed but most folks just swim in the water and don't worry. Snakes are very common.
2022-11-25_10.31.24.jpeg

This type of road is very common in the forest as are paved ones. And let me tell you, rural Florida loves to name roads after folks. For example, if you take Buck Russell or Arthur Lee Rowell Roads they dead end, but just up north a bit if you take Will Jones or Travis Roads east they will take you right in, lol
2022-11-25_13.52.56.jpeg

Much of my time was spent exploring the woods at night. It was deer season so my interactions with hunters was effectively zero and the forest has quite a different look and feel during darkness. Most roads were mild to moderate two-track with some tight overgrown areas. The forest is around 200k acres so I didn't cross paths with anyone at night.
2022-11-25_19.54.42.jpeg

Here is another shot of Blackwater Creek. The mist is actually smoke from a nearby peat fire that burned the entire time I was there.
2022-11-25_10.32.12.jpeg

At camp I ran into some really cool people. The gentleman was pulling a $100k plus Black Series HQ19 from Australia with 3.4 kW of solar panels between his camper and truck. We share stories and I mostly listened as he told me about living on a sail boat for a decade in the Bahamas, adventuring in other countries, etc. Just cool folks you meet in the most beautiful places.
2022-11-25_10.18.58.jpeg

What I found most funny was the fact that I was in a very flat part of the country yet some of the trails really rolled the vehicle to one side due to washouts. It was just funny driving on totally flat land leaned over to one side. At least it was mostly a smooth ride though.
2022-11-25_13.03.35.jpeg

And here is something that was not funny. Let me begin by telling you that minutes after this picture was taken I was standing in the same water with no clothes on except for my underwear. The water was bad but the squishy six inches of mud at the bottom actually felt good if it was not so slippery. Seriously, there is lots of clay in this area and it was slippery like wet ice. What happened is I dropped my seven year old phone in the water while probing the bottom to see how deep it was. I have been swallowed by areas like this in the past so I always get out and check. My phone slipped out of my hand and remember I said it was slippery and deep? Well, it ended up around four to five feet from where I dropped it and that required me to go in after it.
2022-11-25_13.04.51.jpeg

You can keep laughing as you enjoy the song playing though my head as I stood alone and naked in the woods of the deep south.

Last edited:

ramblinChet

Since I was nearby I took a few days and spent time on NAS Pensacola to relive some of my past. One of the more interesting visits was to the National Naval Aviation Museum. If you enjoy aviation or are ever in the area I would recommend spending a day in the museum. During the off season our Blue Angels are stationed and practice at NAS Pensacola.

Here is the outside of the museum with a beautiful F-14 Tomcat loaded up for some fun and wings swept back for moving fast.
2022-11-26_14.14.18.jpeg

The museum has approximately 150+ naval aircraft on display. There is a theater there along with some cockpits where you can climb in and relax in the comfortable seat. There is a nice museum shop and many activities for children. They also offer tours lead by pilots, NFOs, etc.
2022-11-26_15.12.46.jpeg

Many of you may not be aware of the deep and everlasting relationship Naval Aviation has with certain bars around the globe. Some bars, such as the Cubi Point O'Club in the Philippines, are so vital to our national security that when word spreads that the bar is to be closed along with the base, a secret brotherhood of Naval Aviators band together to begin one of the most important missions of their lives. This mission takes place when no one else is around to notice and involved clandestinely dismantling the entire interior of the bar and transferring all of the material to a C-130 waiting on the nearby airstrip in the dead of night. Said C-130 then flies to NAS Pensacola and the interior of the bar along with decades of historical artifacts, are reassembled for all to enjoy. Here is a very small section of the famous bar.
2022-11-26_15.44.58.jpeg

Here is an example of one very interesting display - a cut away of a PBY Catalina to show the interior. There is a wide variety of aircraft on display from vintage to one currently deployed.
2022-11-26_15.31.50.jpeg

This was an unexpected discovery during my visit to the museum. Out of the corner of my eye, up high on a wall, was a large bronze memorial plaque with the names of 134 sailors killed in what is referred to as "The Forrestall Fire." This fire took place in 1967 in the Gulf of Tonkin during the Vietnam Conflict. What shocked me was below the plaque was the stern plate from the Forrestall, or FID (First In Defense), as we called her. I slowly walked up to the stern plate and thought back through a long list of memories associated with her. Although I was happy I was able to fly off of her nearly every day for a few hours for missions it had been a long time since we were together. We had countless shared memories in the North Atlantic operating above the Arctic Circle, the Mediterranean Sea, Indian Ocean, Gulf of Oman, Gulf of Mexico, etc. I reached out and touched her one last time and just stood there for a few moments. I am not sure if I can even begin to explain relationship between a sailor and his vessel, but there is one.
2022-11-26_14.57.22.jpeg

ramblinChet

Happen to know what the guy with the HQ19 was using to hold up the panels on his truck and how much solar he could fit there?

He said they were a type of hurricane strap used in in home construction that was purchased from Lowes or Home Depot. I believe I remember his stating he was using 340 watt panels and he had 3.4 kW total so ten panels distributed between the HQ19 and truck.

ramblinChet

Out of respect for one of my closest friends, who died unexpectedly around a year ago, I wanted to take a moment to share the real reason I was back in the Pensacola, Florida, area. My good buddy Tony was a man among men who demonstrated a level of courage, truthfulness, love, and respect that is so rare, sometimes it's hard to believe it ever existed.

Tony, myself, and a small select group of other men to include Dan and Dave, trained together for the better part of two years when we initially entered the armed forces a long time ago. Most of the schools were very demanding mentally, some physically, and a few, spiritually. The overall attrition rate was very high and for the small number of us that were able to complete the initial training, there existed a timeless bond. Many of us kept in touch, we attended occasional reunions, etc. Tony and I were more like brothers in the literal sense.

A little over a year ago my phone rang from and unknown number. Usually, I refuse to answer and suspect a robocall but this time was different. I picked up and it was a common friend in the community. He asked if I had heard the news and could tell I was somewhat confused. He then shared with me that Tony had passed unexpectedly a short time ago and he wanted me to know. I was shocked.

Earlier in the year I was adventuring out in Wyoming and Montana, very close to Idaho, where Tony lived. We had talked much about my recent build, Tony offered sage advice, and he was expecting me to stop by and spend time with him and his family sometime soon. Although I was close, I just was not close enough and I was pressed for time since I had scheduled appointments back in Wisconsin and Michigan. Heck, I will just swing by next year and really spend some quality time with Tony, is what I was thinking. I felt horrible regarding the decision I had made.

Fast forward to the call and the days after. Several of us flew out to attend the celebration of Tony's life. Some of the guys were still working overseas and were unable to attend. Here is a picture the day we met at Chatcolet Lake in Idaho a little over a year ago on the day we met to remember Tony. This is were Tony first had a clue that he was born with webbed feet.
2021-09-18_09.28.16.jpeg

I asked Tony's family for some of his ashes since there were a few places I knew were special to Tony. My good buddy has been riding in my truck with me for a year now and it was time to visit one of those special places, NAS Pensacola. It was there that we attended NACCS (Naval Aircrew Candidate School) and ARSS (Aviation Rescue Swimmer School) on our path down the NSO (Naval Special Operations) pipeline. NACCS was pretty fun since it involved flight physiology and water survival mixed in with some physical work. ARSS was pretty brutal. Our class began with forty students and the kind instructors were able to convince six to drop even before classes began during an after hours "tour" of the facility. These guys were sadistic and in the community, we refer to this time as pre-Mirecki. In the end, only seven of us graduated. Breaking someone physically is pretty easy. Breaking someone mentally, takes some hard work with some folks. The ones who were able to graduate ARSS, could not be broken spiritually.

Tony and I were now going to spend some time together on the seawall one last time. I though about the good times and the bad times we shared together. Part of Tony's heart has been, and will always be, in Pensacola. The sun was falling fast and I heard the bugle call...taps began to play. When my celebration of Tony's life concluded it was literally a few seconds later that I felt the first raindrops. By the time I made it to my truck the rain was falling pretty good. I let Tony's family and a few of the guys know what just took place and they agreed that this was good. His daughter was excited when I said it felt like the angels began to cry as the ceremony concluded. She was sure it was a sign from her father since he loved the rain and would sit out on the porch with her. Tony was an all-weather type of man, that's for sure; a total Mk 1 Mod 0 ************** who never quit.
2022-11-26_16.53.27.jpeg

As a bad storm rolled in that night, I decided to stay on the seawall and spend a bit more time with Tony. The wind and rain became so bad that I was forced to drop the top on my FWC and let me tell you, that was not as easy as it sounds. The winds were so high that my top would not drop, it just floated and moved up and down like a piece of paper fluttering in the wind. I had to physically pull it down and latching it was quite the challenge. I pulled a few cushions down after wiping up the wet floor, and turned in for the night. A few hours later I woke up since the wind and rain had become so heavy my rig was rocking. I pulled up a weather report and it talked about a tornado watch for the area I was in. Not tonight. I smiled and let the wind and rain rock and sing me to sleep. Thanks for the show Tony :)

The next morning the sun rose strong. It was a new day and the waters were calm. And no, I didn't camp on the seawall at NAS Pensacola - I just laid still all night with my eyes closed ;)
2022-11-27_06.40.29.jpeg

I made my way down the seawall to find our old ARSS school and was confused since it appeared to no longer be there. It now was grass, sand, and a few trees. I talked to some folks and they mentioned that many buildings, including ARSS, had been swept away during Hurricane Ivan back almost two decades ago. It was an old brick building with a heavy brass bell on the front for those who desired to DOR (drop on request). Tony never, ever considered ringing that bell. That I know for certain. There was also a nice wooden plaque that hung over the entrance which said, "Welcome to Camp Crystal Lake." Like I said, those instructors will bullfrog legs were some sadistic fellows. Godspeed Tony.
2022-11-27_07.51.15.jpeg

Last edited:

ramblinChet

During my travels it is always enjoyable to cross paths with other adventurers, learn about their vehicle, understand why certain choices were made, discuss travels, and generally share some laughs.

I was in a small town in NW Florida looking at maps when I noticed this beauty pass by. We exchanged smiles and waves and after looping around, they pulled up beside me. We spent the better part of thirty minutes and let me tell you, this van is awesome! The outside hints at it's intended purpose but when you open the doors and peer inside, there is no doubt. This couple has performed all of the work themselves and they did a great job.
2022-11-25_19.50.25.jpeg

I though the rear of the vehicle was really cool - big heavy gear down low, light and oddly shaped things up high. Sure they could have placed the bicycles behind the spare tire and gear box but that would have added to the overall length while placing the fragile bikes in a precarious position.
2022-11-25_19.52.59.jpeg

Here is a shot of Pensacola Beach in Florida. My camera phone has a limited ability to adjust exposure so even though the sun is bright and the sand is white as sugar, this is what we get. If you are ever in the Pensacola or Destin areas make sure to spend time at the beach. White sand and emerald green water makes for some beautiful scenery. Also, since the water circulates in the Gulf of Mexico it is rather warm during the cold season.
2022-11-27_10.13.42.jpeg

Speaking of crossing paths with other adventurers, here is one of the more interesting vehicles I have encountered. We met in the forest at a campground. Here is the tail end of Champrius and from what I gathered, this young man has made just under one-hundred coast-to-coast crossings of these United States in 2022. He claims to average 60 MPG+ which is significantly higher when compared to a stock Prius. The solar panel on the back is there to charge the main battery used to start the vehicle and run accessories.

While working at NASA Langley Research Center several of the projects I was working on had experiments which took place in the 8-Foot High-Temperature Tunnel, Transonic Dynamics Tunnel, etc. so I have an above average interest in aerodynamics. Some of these modifications would be fun to experiment with on my AEV Prospector and FWC but they would only be valuable for extremely long drives at high constant speeds. And once off road, they would have zero value and would be easily damaged. My solution is to keep my maximum speed around 100 km/h and minimize starts and stops.
2022-11-26_16.44.37.jpeg

Here is skirting around the wheelwells and smooth covers for the wheels. Rotating objects such as wheels and rims produce drag which can add up quickly.
2022-11-26_16.45.36.jpeg

His modifications to the front appear to have a variable adjustment to permit or restrict airflow into the front. He also has a smooth bottom and has cleaned up the area around the wipers, etc. It is a pretty interesting exercise in hypermiling.
2022-11-26_16.45.11.jpeg

Since I travel mostly on backroads many times I enter into cities. Many have just a few street lights and buildings. Some, such as this one, are much larger and I find myself crossing through neighborhoods that most will never see. Occasionally, I come across an interesting scene and since I am rarely in a rush, I stop to take a few moments to enjoy. This tree and the growth on it was so very cool looking. I can't begin to imagine how old they were but it must have measured in the hundreds of years.
2022-11-27_12.32.24.jpeg

Last edited:

ramblinChet

When was the last time you were truly surprised by something to such a degree that you felt like a little boy receiving an amazing gift on Christmas morning? That is an accurate description of how I felt when I hooked up my new phone to my RAM and saw the Android Auto begin to function. When I originally specified the base vehicle for my AEV Prospector I opted for the Tradesman package with a few select options. One was the base Uconnect 4 with 8.4-inch Display and at the time I was pretty sure there was not possibility of enjoying full screen navigation like the more expensive displays. Again, I was not expecting this and it sure felt good to see the high resolution satellite image on this magnificent 8.4-inch display. Yeah, I am hooked.
image000000(8).jpg

Here I am exploring again in the Homochitto National Forest, this time up in the north-eastern section. The ground was reasonably wet and there had not been much traffic in these parts although I remained in 2WD the entire time.
image000000(7).jpg

While driving and looking for gas and a quick warm meal I came upon this historic site. ;)
image000000(6).jpg

A beautiful ride can be enjoyed along the Natchez Trace Parkway that stretches from Nashville, Tennessee, down to Natchez, Mississippi. Here is a historic site between Jackson and Natchez which amounts to a big pile of dirt that has been leveled. I always stop by these places and read the historical information although I wonder how accurate the information actually is. This Emerald Mound is the second largest mound in these United States. Maybe one day I will happen upon the largest one.
image000000(5).jpg

When I began really traveling years ago and began to focus on the forests and mountains I had no idea how many cemeteries I would be encountering. When I spot one I always take a moment to stop by, observe, pay my respects, and try to imagine what the area was like when these people were alive. Most every time I walk away wondering just how they survived. No electricity, very basic medical care, no air conditioned grocery stores to purchase milk, produce, etc. It is my belief that the past few generations of western civilizations have lost so much basic information regarding how to live life, it may be a fatal.
image000000(4).jpg

Forks of the Road Slave Market at the intersection of Libery Road and D'Evereux Drive in Natchez, Mississippi. The town of Natchez is very interesting and I plan to visit again during the warm weather when it is a bit more active.
image000000(3).jpg

Rolling down the banks of the mighty Mississippi to enjoy a fine meal at The Camp. When I arrived at the bottom a few fine gentleman approached and wanted to learn about my truck. This actually happens quite frequently and I always enjoy hearing others stories and plans related to adventure. Around half the time I end up popping up the top and inviting a few inside to sit and talk. It is not uncommon for others to take notice and wander over to take a look themselves. I meet really nice folks everywhere and I encourage them all to get out and explore.
image000000(2).jpg

Here is some late night exploration of the western section of Homochitto National Forest. This entire area was sopping wet and slick in many parts. You know that sound when you are driving through a wet mushy area...that is what I heard the entire time. I remained in 2WD and had the rear tires slip just a few times but fortunately most of the ground was pretty flat and the few elevation changes were long and gradual.
image000000(1).jpg

Remember early on when I asked when was the last time you felt like a little kid at Christmas? Well, this was the opposite - when this photo was taken I felt like I was somewhere I should not be. I was very deep into the woods, it was wet and slippery, I was not lost but I certainly was not sure where I was going some of the time. And to make it even more exciting, there were times I came across a fence that was blocking the road. A few were locked but a few were just chained and not locked. So, I still felt a bit uneasy late at night opening a fence and driving through it while believing that I was on a public road, but there were times I was not 100% confident. In this instance I hit a dead end and was forced to backtrack a mile or so and try another route.
image000000.jpg

givemethewillys

Jonathan Chouinard
Hey Chet, I just caught up with your updates, and am blown away - thanks for keeping us up to date on your incredible journey. I also have an aviation background (aviation flight operations major at Daniel Webster College and then served in the US Air Force) although color vision lost me a pilot slot and sent me to Security Forces school.

One question I'm sure you've answered, but I couldn't find it, was how are you liking your standard cab truck after all the travel you've done, and do you ever miss the inside storage space of an extended/crew cab truck?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior