“Sierra Madre, Copper Canyon 2018”

Thanks Luinil for the great pics....Thanks Frenchie for taking the time to put it in writing. I've spent a lot of time in Baja and love it dearly....I would have LOVED to tag along.

FrenchieXJ

Expedition Leader
Hi Everyone,

I was hoping that all of the others who attended would write their stories. They will be different then what I wrote some may even be the truth. If the readers who did not make the adventure get other points of view then they can find the truth in the adventure, some place in there. We all know that I always tell the truth ........ or a lie. I stay away from the gray areas.

If you do not want your story then the photos story will work.

Thanks,
Da Frenchman

FrenchieXJ

Expedition Leader
I got this link from "gnel" this afternoon. This is what I mentioned about in post #67 in paragraph #11
No, for the raping of the land for the minerals and leaving pollution. "
https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/bo...il&utm_term=0_f1536a3787-98c54a732d-349485193

I am sorry for the lives lost. I am also sorry for the environmental damage that the spill is causing. It is a shame that this could not be fixed with the 4 month warning. The pollution down stream will be felt for a long time. I am sorry that this has happened to all of thoes involved.

We had a problem happen in our area in the 4-corners area 3 years ago. It was the U.S. government that caused the mistake here in the Animas River. The heavy metals went down stream into the San Juan river and into Lake Powell.

Thank you for the heads up on this and again I am sorry for all thoes people effected by this!

Da Frenchman

FrenchieXJ

Expedition Leader
To answer a question on the mine location. This is on the west side of the Urique River. It is almost 6 miles up stream fro where we crossed the Urique River (the trip participants), the place of the washed out bridge.

On our way to Green rocks mine I have pointer out the "Y" intersection that goes to the Gold mine, this is the same mine.

In the article the river names change as they go by a different town or landmarks. The Urique runs into the Rio Tubares which is the Rio Fuerte (up and down stream), Rio San Miguel, Rio Guerachi and Rio Verde. The Rio Fuerte drains into the Lake Hidalgo that supplies the towns of El Fuerte and Los Mochis and all of the farming land.

Da Frenchman

Danger! Danger! Will Robinson!

We rise with the sun and the sounds of roosters and dogs. We will not cover the dog situation hapening on the front porch of the cabin I am staying at..

We get our coffee to help open our eyes. The morning is full of last minute packing for our stay far far away in “Never Neverland”. It is “Neverland” because we are told by our U.S. government that this is a place we should never never go to.
At this time load and play this song before you go any further!

We have made the decision to take head on the warning and “kick butt” of what ever lies ahead. We line up behind the leader for this section of the adventure. We are not concerned in the least as the strong, afraid of nothing leader steps up to the front and we step up behind his skin of iron and brute force. The leader has 100,000 pounds of force and weight enough to get us where we are going.

We have some time before we have to meet the train. We have arrangements made for a ride to the train station for our group. We get our vehicles all set for our departure. We get our fridges put into the cabins with the AC power to keep them ice cold for our return. The snacks are packed and we saying good bye to our newest members of our gang, Killer and Killer’s Mom. We let them know that we will be returning and to please watch the vehicles for us.

The time has come to load into the van for the ride to the train station. We make it and check that we have our tickets. We are on the platform waiting for the train to arrive. We have a long time friend of mine show up. He has been gracing the town of Creel for his whole life. We met about 25 years ago when he and a friend came to Margaretta’s where we were staying. He had his guitar and started playing for us and singing many of his songs for us.

From then on all of my adventures we would meet and present our group with some true Mexican music. At times I would join in without much coaching to play with the group. We called ourselves the “Cool Cats” those in attendance would refer to me as the cat who got his tail stepped on. We have been heard by travelers from around the world as the poor travelers who just were within ear shout of my voice.

Any way back at the platform and the train. With the music playing to a lively tune Marie and I look at each other and start dancing to the ever gathering larger crowd. Did we know what we were doing? Maybe not so much, but we were having fun.

As in the prior post, did we convince a subject to lay across the rails, putting their ear to the rail.? Note; we did not tie him to the tracks to do him in. Well sort of, but all in the interest of science of course. We wanted to find out if the train was coming and when. This works when the person putting their ear to the rail (Facing the direction the train is coming from) jumps up with a panic look on their face. This lets us know the train is very close.

Now do not think that this was not given back to us during the adventure. I believe that we all gave each other a little (or a lot) crap on the adventure. Everyone seams to get involved, generally as self defense.

The train arrived on schedule, “late” right on time. We got on and took our assigned seats. In a moment my friend and conductor from last year was the head conductor. We shared some pleasant words and he was back to work. I asked about another conductor friend and how the family was doing. He assured me that I would be back when I mentioned this was my fair well adventure.

The train rolls on down the track and we talk as a group for a while. I set in a seat for a short time then it is to my favorite riding location between the cars. This gives me a chance to switch between the side with the best view. I spend almost all of my time between the cars until we get to the lake crossing as we leave the mountains and canyons behind. I have ridden the train many times and never get tired of the views and the engineering and work to build the railroad through this rugged terrain.

The route goes from sea level to 8,000 feet, 37 major bridges (trestle’s), has over 87 tunnels, dose a 180 degree turn inside of a mountain, goes into a tunnel under a waterfall and dose a complete circle crossing over itself. Just some of the highlights of the route. This is just one of the reasions that Copper Canyon is on many peoples “Bucket List”.

Back at the ranch (train) we have wonderful vistas out of the windows, with canyons forest of pines trees. We climb higher to the highest point on the rails before we start out decent into the many canyons. We cross through many zones with oaks, madrone, manzanita, thorny forest and scrub lands.

We reach the costal plains at the southern end of the Sonora desert. Our arrival at the train station was we needed to grab our bags and get on the bus to the hotel. Arriving at the hotel we are checked in and start with a nice hibiscus drink. We reserve a table four our group for dinner. The food was again very good as we talked and joked with each other about our day and experiences. I slipper away to get to the ice cream store before it closed (last year I was 5 minutes late as they had closed just before getting there). I made it and got a very good and cold ice cream cone. Returning back to the hotel I met up with the group for the town tour.

Town is extremely nice and very Spanish. We decide to see the fort which the town was built around. This was cool but it was closed or was it? The guard offered to let us in if we would stay off of the roof. We agreed and went into the fort for the after hours tour. We head to the town square for the evening of site seeing and riding the train. This was a different train then the one we road during the day. This train took us all around town. We never got lost on the train ad we stayed on the tracks. I knew this as there were always tracks behind me. With some music we chugged around the main streets and back streets. We reach the square again and walk to see another fancy hotel, before returning back to our rooms.

Good night everyone,
Da Frenchman
A local Tara Humara woman came to our cabins to sell her bracelets, and with a generous purchase, she allowed a photo.
bFzomrIcQIadNxL5XCZmJw.jpg

Then, when we finally got on the train, I think I caught Frenchie shedding a tear. When he saw me, he forced a smile.
IMG_4446.JPG

Ace Brown

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0019
A local Tara Humara woman came to our cabins to sell her bracelets, and with a generous purchase, she allowed a photo.
View attachment 455802

Then, when we finally got on the train, I think I caught Frenchie shedding a tear. When he saw me, he forced a smile.
View attachment 455803
I thought I'd add a picture of Bruce checking for the train
View attachment 455846
Only Bruce..........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FrenchieXJ

Expedition Leader
Bruce did not believe that you could here the train approaching by putting your ear to the rails. If the train is coming towards you on a up-hill climb it will be a louder sound on the right rail and if the train is on the downhill grade it will be softer on the rail that is left. Look at Bruce and you will see the thumb's up as this is true.

Da Frenchman

Last edited:
With some hikes and last waterfall pictures complected, we prepare our vehicles for another leg of the adventure. We have the only must be at locations coming up and we need to get to our next location for the Chepe train. We load up the gear as we turn our thoughts and vehicles to Creel.

As we make the drive we head out of the falls the road which has had so many changes over the years. The dirt 2 track has been widened to 2 vehicles wide. They then put some pavement over the top of the graded road. The pavement is just about ½" thick and full of pot holes 8" deep. They have road signs that have distances on them and names of towns. This again was a big change over the last 35 years from the earlier days.

Well back to this years adventure. We will be climbing to our highest driving location during the whole adventure. We pass some “Got my attention, logging trucks” with small communities and logging mills. On this drive we pass some fields being plowed with live stock pulling the plows.

We make it up the switchbacks to the view locations. The views end on the horizon 75 miles away. The canyons are every where, the world ends at the last mountain range. We are high above all but the peak of the mountainside we are hanging on. We circle around to the other side of the peak and see the vast mountains rolling into the wide canyons and valleys. The road takes us winding in and out of tight canyons to reach the vast tree covered plateau. We drop slowly for many miles of rather straight road into town. In town we make the turn back into the hills and canyons as we get deeper into the vast entrance to the deep canyons known as the “Barrancas del Cobre” or “Copper Canyon”.

We reach Creel and we do the tour of the town with the important buildings and stores pointed out (restaurants, grocery, fuel and our camp). We get into camp and get settled for what will be our home base for a number of days. It is from here where we will board the train into some of the many canyons of the famed Copper Canyon.

We decide that a restaurant that CW had been to on a prior adventure with me would be the best place to eat in town. After a short walk around town with shopping and some site seeing done we all get some of our chores done.

I rent a cabin to use the shower for those camping, as some of the others also do. We seam to adopt a couple of new members to the crew. This small 4 legged mother with a totally cute puppy that looks nothing like the mother. Well in proven adventure after adventure the cute, gets to me and out comes the puppy food. Now as part of the gang they need names, Killer and Mom of Killer. Killer is about 6 weeks old (best guess) and dose not back down from any of the other dogs (he will bite and chew on any foot or ear he can reach). Killer is just learning to eat solid food and splits between Mom of Killer and the pile of dog food.

Bring that we are sitting in one place for a couple of nights the cell phones come out as we let the world know we are still alive.

The evening is relaxed as we will not be driving tomorrow. We do have some side chores to get done as get ready to take the train into El Fuerte, Sinaloa.

Good night,

Da Frenchman
With some hikes and last waterfall pictures complected, we prepare our vehicles for another leg of the adventure. We have the only must be at locations coming up and we need to get to our next location for the Chepe train. We load up the gear as we turn our thoughts and vehicles to Creel.

As we make the drive we head out of the falls the road which has had so many changes over the years. The dirt 2 track has been widened to 2 vehicles wide. They then put some pavement over the top of the graded road. The pavement is just about ½" thick and full of pot holes 8" deep. They have road signs that have distances on them and names of towns. This again was a big change over the last 35 years from the earlier days.

Well back to this years adventure. We will be climbing to our highest driving location during the whole adventure. We pass some “Got my attention, logging trucks” with small communities and logging mills. On this drive we pass some fields being plowed with live stock pulling the plows.

We make it up the switchbacks to the view locations. The views end on the horizon 75 miles away. The canyons are every where, the world ends at the last mountain range. We are high above all but the peak of the mountainside we are hanging on. We circle around to the other side of the peak and see the vast mountains rolling into the wide canyons and valleys. The road takes us winding in and out of tight canyons to reach the vast tree covered plateau. We drop slowly for many miles of rather straight road into town. In town we make the turn back into the hills and canyons as we get deeper into the vast entrance to the deep canyons known as the “Barrancas del Cobre” or “Copper Canyon”.

We reach Creel and we do the tour of the town with the important buildings and stores pointed out (restaurants, grocery, fuel and our camp). We get into camp and get settled for what will be our home base for a number of days. It is from here where we will board the train into some of the many canyons of the famed Copper Canyon.

We decide that a restaurant that CW had been to on a prior adventure with me would be the best place to eat in town. After a short walk around town with shopping and some site seeing done we all get some of our chores done.

I rent a cabin to use the shower for those camping, as some of the others also do. We seam to adopt a couple of new members to the crew. This small 4 legged mother with a totally cute puppy that looks nothing like the mother. Well in proven adventure after adventure the cute, gets to me and out comes the puppy food. Now as part of the gang they need names, Killer and Mom of Killer. Killer is about 6 weeks old (best guess) and dose not back down from any of the other dogs (he will bite and chew on any foot or ear he can reach). Killer is just learning to eat solid food and splits between Mom of Killer and the pile of dog food.

Bring that we are sitting in one place for a couple of nights the cell phones come out as we let the world know we are still alive.

The evening is relaxed as we will not be driving tomorrow. We do have some side chores to get done as get ready to take the train into El Fuerte, Sinaloa.

Good night,

Da Frenchman
The short story has to be told of our tour of Creel. We were all settled in at the cabins when Larrie suggests going in to town to get some pesos at the local Santander Bank. I offer to go with him, but the bank had just closed. We start walking around town when I notice a tour van with 2 roof top seats and I think, what a great way to see Creel, so I ask the driver if he has time to show us the town in his van? He says: "MXN100 pesos." You gotta love the freedom Mexico offers! He buckles me in on the passenger side, but the driver's side has no functioning belt. Larrie looks a little concerned. The driver tells him not to worry, and that he will go slow!

pEhw9KLWQJClsgs1DEYgLA.jpg

Well, "slow" was not as much of a problem as "low":

q5IIMfWBRjuoM83pIIGHDA.jpg

We actually had to lean sideways to avoid decapitation!

Well, we survived, and the driver was nice enough to bring us back to the cabin after a very nice tour of the beautiful town! sON7SYeHSruFACW5MCafIA.jpg

Last edited:
After a six hour train ride from Creel, the views of which captivated our group members . . . d0N1Dco8RlyBKwlhnMu+xA.jpg . . . (I'm probably going to be asked to delete that one). We were greeted in El Fuerte by an air conditioned hotel van . . . Wdqp2dhaRlmMk5U48iHw9Q.jpg . . . checked into our very nice (Pasado del Hildago) hotel . . . B8Use4nqQX24ZmKwMFkGaw.jpg . . . had a very nice dinner paid for by Mynor's wife (Thank You!!!) . . . qg6SFqyJRWyXVjzE2VViFA.jpg . . . walked through the town . . . 2ZBLMEKGT0SNt2eFDcg3zQ.jpg . . . before bribing the nightwatchman at the Fort to let us in, explaining that we had no other opportunity as we had to go back on the train early in the morning. . . +2DCqa8QQM2v4kEWlqnASA.jpg . Here were the culprits . . . GR5ZMafUT2G6v8qRYgU1OQ.jpg . Their faces were pixilized (opps, I forgot to do that so I blurred the photo intentionally) to protect the innocent and the children. This is what the fort looks like if we were in a drone . . . . And, yes, we took a land train with a brass pole in the center of the front car around town, went back, hit the sack, woke up early the next morning, and went back to Creel. There were notable views, but I'm only allowed 10 photos per post! More to come!

Attachments

Last edited:
From Creel, we head for Batopilus which is at the bottom of a huge canyon. Frenchie points out the old road. . . SjNyv3ZfTN6briR73wIHPg.jpg , and tells us how the new road is so much easier and faster . . . 17gJk3oYRxuw8FkYZyrUkA.jpg . . . except for a few boulders we had to dodge. We got through the river side of Batopilus given the very narrow roads in town, and went straight for the town and mission a few miles beyond . . . xaVpT2EjQBeg7u7%LJb59Q.jpg . As soon as I remember the name, I will edit this post.