00-07 1500 silverado frames tough enough?

jfman

Are the half ton of that generation with the tortion bar suspension tought enough to build a travel rig around?

I had one of these trucks when they were newer and liked them.

I however see more people are using Older half tons with solid front axles or 3/4 trucks for the nwere stuff.

What are you toughts on this platform suspension and fram strenght wise?

ZMagic97

Explorer
The GMT800s are great travel rigs in my opinion. I own one now, had 2 at the same time not long go.

The IFS is what seems to concern people from what I've seen, but with proper maintenance and care they do last a long time.

The other weakness is the 4L60E 4 speed automatic transmission. I wouldn't say they're a bad transmission, but are subjected to a shorter life by people going from reverse to drive without a full stop, doing lifts without a tune or gear change as necessary,

I never hear of frame issues and the suspension on mine has been great.

I have an 06 Sierra 1500, 4 door Z71. It's my wife's daily driver and been in out family for about 5 years: I love that truck and with 170,000 miles even with 35s and a 6 inch lift it's very comfortable on and off pavements, off road capable, holds lots of gear, and very easy to work on.

phsycle

Adventurer
Depends on how you’re looking to equip the truck. As long as you’re not putting a big camper, heavy bumpers, etc and staying within the GVWR, you’ll be fine. A neighbor had an 02 that he took all over the west. Last time I saw him, he had over 350k miles and still going strong.

jfman

Thanks for chiming in guys.

Depends on how you’re looking to equip the truck. As long as you’re not putting a big camper, heavy bumpers, etc and staying within the GVWR, you’ll be fine. A neighbor had an 02 that he took all over the west. Last time I saw him, he had over 350k miles and still going strong.

For the build I have in mind I would like to remove the bed permanently and diy a flatbed type caper that overhangs over the cab for sleeping quarter. Maybe pop top style to save mpgs. Spartan, low tech, no batteries, no solar, maybe a propane heater and cook top and 12v yeti fridge.

A traveling rig rather than a boodocking rig.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9101

Go to damn near any construction site... You will see them over loaded, unmaintained, and beat on... And they still keep going.

Another plus is parts are cheap and the "pick n pull" type salvage yards are getting them in stock more often.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Thanks for chiming in guys.

For the build I have in mind I would like to remove the bed permanently and diy a flatbed type caper that overhangs over the cab for sleeping quarter. Maybe pop top style to save mpgs. Spartan, low tech, no batteries, no solar, maybe a propane heater and cook top and 12v yeti fridge.

A traveling rig rather than a boodocking rig.

For me? Heck no. Go 250/2500+ now or regret it later. Can't tell what you're building though, or where you're going. But for me I'd start with a bigger truck. Even if your camper is just 1100#, that's still much easier to haul with a 250.

I hated half tons and Tacos with mini campers. What's the point of a camper that is no more plush than a RTT? At least RTT's get a fresh breeze and have almost no effect on the trucks handling. To keep the weight down, the camper was as spartan as a tent. But it was still heavy enough to wreck the trucks off road capability down to what a heavy 1 ton truck with a light, but larger camper does.

You'll have more weight wiggle room to design something nice. You can even have a battery! Lol. If you're going fullsize and camper, you don't lose anything by starting with a stronger heavier truck.

What exactly, weight range are you thinking of with your camper? Multiply that by 2. Then find a truck with that for cargo capacity.

I don't recall any frame issues with any of our American trucks. Springs, brakes, tires, and level ride height, on the other hand...... IME, pop top FWC's get about the same mileage as hardsides, assuming that it's a narrow hardside of the same width as the FWC.

Last edited:

XJLI

Adventurer
The 1500 is great if you want to KISS, at that point I'd recommend a high top camper shell over a RTT or flatbed. If you want a flatbed+camper, go straight to a 2500 or 3500.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Given how cheap these GMT800s are , I would buy two. One as a parts rig. Park it up, and you have good spares for years to come. Its getting hard to find a clean one without crazy miles though. Even the newest ones are 13 years old at this point. In the next 5 years the supply of junkyard and used parts is going to dramatically reduce.

If you don't go crazy weight wise, they will handle a custom camper shell and load without trouble. If you find yourself wearing rear axles out, you can swap in a 9.5" or 10.5" axle with minimal work.

Note that the front suspension is not designed for crazy weight like the 2500/3500s are. So don't add 500lbs to the front axle load. Otherwise the IFS is durable. Don't lift it with a key lift, use a drop/spacer lift you must. Most of the "weak IFS" stories are from people who crank the torsion bars for 2-3" of lift, and start breaking CVs and ball joints cause they are way outside the normal operation range. There are coilover kits for the 1500 IFS which supposedly ride better. Never tried one myself though.

The trans can be reliable if you aren't abusing it and towing heavy loads. Otherwise budget for a rebuild, or just get a spares truck.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
If your not doing serious wheeling, and your not planning on putting a 4,000lb camper on the truck, a 1500 is probably fine. Cheaper and easier to find as well. Everyone likes to jump on the 2500/3500 for anything "overlandy", but you need to assess the usage case before making a decision. Your described build sounds really light weight to me, your not towing either?

Last edited:

jfman

No towing.

I am used to travel tow-up on a motorcycle so I am not one to carry a lot of unnecessary stuff.

I would like to build something that:
can handle rough dirt roads
easy trails
that I can sleep in and not out of (no roof tents)
a rig can travel long distances at ease with "OK" mpgs
I can fix myself easely if needed

I am not rady to start building yet but if I was starting today I would buy a silverado 1500 4x4 with MANUAL trans that is for sale localy.

I am also looking at 4x4 vans but they juste cost too much money to build for my budget.

Last edited:

Overlandtowater

We have some on the farm and had water tanks in the back I don't quite remember how big I'm thinking 1000 or 1200 gallon tanks too much either way but we had two of them break the frame where the rear body mount bracket welds to the frame, now these were being driven down field roads, washboard gravel, and no road at all to fill the chemical tanks after we fish plated the frame to put it back together we never had a problem from them again....other than rear alignment ...LOL I'd say they are strong enough for normal duty.

jfman

When I was traveling by motorcycle in Ancash, Peru I saw a Silverado with a broken frame. The guy had decent sized camper on it and the rig was loaded to the gills.

There was a crack on the frame right above the rear axle and he was getting it reinforced by a local shop.

This memory prompted the posting of this thread.

But again, you can break anithing if you try hard enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles