04-4-4-4 Conversion/Build

#1
In late 2003 I was set on purchasing a 4cyl Tacoma. The vehicle's primary role would be a DD, and a DoubleCab would enhance that function. In the 4 cylinder it was either 4WD or 4 doors, not both. I had an acquaintance at NUMMI and I had hoped that they would be able to build a 4cyl DC. In the end, the doors won, and I purchased a 2004 PreRunner in April of that year (getting it through NUMMI):
1.jpg
For 60,000 miles I drove the truck stock with no issues. In 2005-06 several individuals were completing PreRunner conversions with great success. I joined the ExPo and began to research. A special thanks goes out to SARSquid (Jamie) and Pray4Surf (Rick) for all their technical support and R&D. Both have saved me numerous hours of pain and suffering. I appreciate it. I would also like to thank all the members here that I've PM'ed over the years. Thank you for your insight and willingness to help. Here's the 04, 4cyl, 4 door, 4WD build:

Started with a spacer lift/tires/wheels:
2.jpg

Then the topper:
3.JPG

Got rid of the chrome and went to black stock parts:
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.JPG

Alignment:
9.jpg
10.jpg

TBC:
 
#2
Continued

First step in conversion, spindles:
11.JPG

Then, towed to transmission shop for output shaft swap (I had a connection at a transmission shop that could handle the swap...Thanks Mario!):
12.JPG
13.JPG 14.JPG 15.JPG 16.JPG 17.JPG
The center console was sourced from eBay, and the shifter was bought new from Toyota.

Drove for a while like this (no front diff or axles):
18.jpg

Got rid of the spacer lift (went with OME...Thanks Kurt-Cruiser Outfitters!)
19.jpg 20.jpg
 
#6
Continued part 5

Back to steelies (the '05's have a different offset than the earlier models...found that out the hard way!):
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

Receiver for ARB:
arb hitch.jpg

Back to the conversion...pressing out the bearings/hubs to make way for manual hubs (had to make a jig for the press....Thanks Mark Hogan!):
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg
 
#7
continued part 6

Pressed in the new bearings, hub, abs tone ring, etc. Also had to "customize" a hub socket to fit...and torque to 205 ft lbs.:
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

axle re-build, and installation: 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg
 
#9
continue part 8

The BudBuilt belly skid wouldn't work on a PreRunner without modification....it seems the crossmember is too far forward:
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg
 
#10
continued part 9

Had the gears done (5.29's...thanks for the advice TangoBlue!) and ARB's front and rear installed at Central 4 Wheel Drive in Sacramento. The compressor install:
10.jpg 11.jpg 12.jpg 13.jpg 14.jpg 15.jpg

After trying several configurations...I settled on the compressor inboard from the battery. It seems to fit better there. The hold-down bracket still needs to be modified.
 
#11
continued part 10

wiring up the ARB switches:
16.jpg 17.jpg 18.jpg 19.jpg 20.jpg 21.jpg 22.jpg 23.jpg 24.jpg 25.jpg

I moved the hazard switch to the blank cut out on the left hand side of the steering column. That created a nice spot for the compressor switch. I lost the clock in the process however. The material behind the air locker switches was donor material from the PreRunner center console.