'04 lx470 factory load bars and other newb questions (RTT etc)

Mpl1978

I just bought an '04 lx470 and would like to add a RTT for some family camping (FAM OF 4). I am likely going to get a 23zero or Tepui and I think they both weight about 150lbs. I have considered getting a full length rack, like a prinsu, but it seems like the RTT will likely take up the entire footprint and/or occupy a lot of weight on the roof, and if that is the case, why spend the extra money. Since I plan on leaving the RTT mounted most of time, should I:
1. use factory rails (assuming they can handle the load) - not sure
2. just buy some stronger load bars that are cheaper than a full rack - rhino / thule etc; or
3. buy the full rack because it is had more advantages?

I am newb so I am trying to figure out the best use of resources and use others experience!

TIA!

4Beast

Observer
While some people have mounted RTTs to the factory bars successfully, I believe that the general consensus is that a full length aftermarket rack is best. A family of 4 probably 500#+ plus a 150# tent is a lot over the recommended weight of the factory bars, and there are different physics factors when the tent is closed and the vehicle is in motion. I guess you could mound several Thule type crossbars, but those aren't necessarily a lot cheaper. If cost is a factor, look for a used rack. FWIW I'm pretty sure the large (dual ladder) RTTs are over 150#. Also if the tent is going to be up there all the time, you could look for a hard shell one as well.

Mpl1978

Thanks for the reply. I am going with the king size bed, not the double ladder type. The largest hard shell is the Ikmaper, and at 3899.00 I am not convinced it is signficantly better than the 1800 23zero one.

biglowt

I have an 04 LX470 and ran a Tepui Autana on the factory roof rack for a couple months. No issues during that time. I then had it on a rhino rack pioneer platform using their mounts and that worked fine as well. I have since got rid of the rack but kept the rhino rack feet that mount to the 6 locations on the roof (there are two more locations, one on each side, forward of the existing 4 on the LX). I used superstrut from the local hardware store mounted in the feet as it saves some $$, is much lighter and quieter and I can easily mount things and move them around. I wouldnt hesistate to run the RTT on my current system either. I dont run it every day anymore due to the hassle of parking under covered areas and wind noise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior