04 Tahoe Z71 Project

LTG515

I’ve been posting my progress in a Tahoe forum, but figured I’d also share here for anyone interested.

Here’s the link and I’ll start updating here from now on too.

04 Tahoe Z71 Project

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rayra

Expedition Leader
welcome aboard. Looks like a good start. There's a lot of GMT800 owners here. You'll find a lot of useful info in the 'hey vortec guys' link in my sig, as well as links to about 25-30 other GMT800 owners' build topic in this forum

LTG515

Thanks! It’s been a fun project so far and a surprisingly capable vehicle.

Jacobm

Looking forward to seeing more pictures of the sliders, I'd like to put something more substantial than the stock running boards on my Yukon but I'm short and I like having the step. Looks like a fun rig!

LTG515

Looking forward to seeing more pictures of the sliders, I'd like to put something more substantial than the stock running boards on my Yukon but I'm short and I like having the step. Looks like a fun rig!

Does the link work? I tried linking the other forum but when I clicked on it, it didn’t seem to work.

Here are the sliders though. I’ll be plating in the kick out portion and painting it all black. Likely going to be running a 0 degree angle so I can utilize them as a step as well.

e1bd74d04ce5cb0c7752ddf836edfd03.jpg

Jacobm

Yupp, I read through your thread. I'm excited to see them mounted up, I'll probably go with a similar design. I'm not sure if anyone I know has a tube bender or notcher though, so I'll have to go make some new friends I suppose.

LTG515

Yupp, I read through your thread. I'm excited to see them mounted up, I'll probably go with a similar design. I'm not sure if anyone I know has a tube bender or notcher though, so I'll have to go make some new friends I suppose.

Haha yea I hear you on that. For my bumper I had my brother in law help me and for the sliders, I found a guy on OfferUp who makes sliders for Tacoma’s and 4runners. I basically just told him that I like the design he does and asked if he could make that in the length I needed. Not sure where you’re located but OfferUp was a good resource for me for the sliders.

rayra

Expedition Leader
One caution, the front inner tie rod ends. They're spindly little things. 1/2"O.D. Look to beef those up. I went cheap with sleeves. But there are some big forged parts that are supposed to be much better. Cost about 5x-6x more, too. But the first time you put a wheel crossways in an erosion ditch with too much vehicle momentum behind it, they're probably gonna bend.

LTG515

One caution, the front inner tie rod ends. They're spindly little things. 1/2"O.D. Look to beef those up. I went cheap with sleeves. But there are some big forged parts that are supposed to be much better. Cost about 5x-6x more, too. But the first time you put a wheel crossways in an erosion ditch with too much vehicle momentum behind it, they're probably gonna bend.

Ok great advice! I’ll look into getting those stronger

XJLI

Adventurer
I have the sleeves, theyre definitely good insurance. I'd rather carry a spare set of OEM ones than buy the Cognito or whatever aftermarket brand that cost like $600 a pair. Takes only a few minutes to swap out, and you REALLY have to beat on them to break em with the sleeves. They usually bend/break where they tread into the outer, I've only seen them bend with the sleeves installed diesel on pulling trucks.

LTG515

UPDATE:

Sliders are on and am stoked on how they came out! I have them at 0 degrees so that I can use them as a little step as well. I also plated in the back kick out with a hole cut mesh type sheet. Came out nice! You’ll see in the pictures the design we did allowed us to brace the legs as well as clear the parking brake cable and wiring loom. The passenger side was more simple but kept the same support design for strength.

526d8d70ea731703758133102cd68c80.jpg

65168bcb4d831e375321dc18b703102f.jpg

380deb2e2fbc30760701e25141beff74.jpg

7ef47c1d2acc80cd795aa8072910e040.jpg

9b5d177a721194e6b3be648f86994b3d.jpg

Front driver
8109e5857289161fffea5a7a6cb656d2.jpg

Rear driver.

Still need to paint the welds. It was dark and late.

Anyways, real happy with how they came out and will have to put them to the test soon! This is most likely the last major thing I do to the Tahoe for a while.

LTG515

More on that bumper! Sliders look great too.

What would you like to know? My brother in law helped me fab that up. There aren’t any nice bumpers out there for Tahoe’s, let alone one that kinda fits my style. I wanted to have a little bit of the prerunner look and a little bit of the hybrid bumper style that’s popular now.

LTG515

Just some pics I'm trying to see how others have built their bumpers.

90219393c8af15df8cfe85e7c07f34e3.jpg

So the top tube is mounted to 2 short tubes straight to the frame behind the bumper. You can see the 2 tubes to the frame better on the picture below.
be6e142f3d3f6822b8f3fc1440dc9197.jpg

b38e138df1aa15c69149e9f04bc8d1fb.jpg

The bottom tube is obviously bent in such a way to mount to the top tube but it’s also on the same plane as where the old tow hooks used to be. To further support the lower tube there are 2 tubes going to the front crossmember. This is also what I have my skid mounted to with tabs. For added strength and to provide a place to plate in the front to give the “hybrid” look, we added 4 vertical tubes.
5e18288a2e717ebbfb5029b22671e1b2.jpg

e099aac8680836134993deac40d6c55d.jpg

Then you can kinda see on this picture, we added smaller 1” tubing to the corners of the top tube down to the crossmember for added rigidity. Then painted it all up with bedliner.
4cf14c1dc866c006a99c6dcb8408c1ab.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94