'05 Z71 DD/Adventure truck

XJLI

Adventurer
After looking at Tundras, 4Runners, LC100s, GX470s, Tahoes, Burbs, Avalanches.... All overpriced, junk, rusted, etc; I finally found a great deal on a truck- my father-in-law's 05 Z71 ECSB Silverado. Although, I think bringing him along to dealers seeing all those shiny new trucks is what made him want a new one and ask if I wanted to buy his. He was the 2nd owner, meticulously maintained and cleaned. Probably the cleanest GMT800 pickup in my area. The 5.3 has some serious get-up compared to what I'm used to.

mCUVbmEl.jpg

Needs a few small GM things.. new evap canister probably, has that annoying steering wheel knock, few dash lights out here and there, needs tires bad but has new bilsteins, new brakes, and new wheel bearings. Not sure whether to go 285/70-17 or 34x10.5x17 since I don't want to lift it much or at all and mess with it, and it only has 3.42 gears. Looking forward to having this truck for a while, still can't believe I bought a domestic full-size pickup.

tbisaacs

Adventurer
Welcome! Lots of GMT800s on this board. Looking forward to see what you do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rayra

Expedition Leader
Nice looking truck.

Steering wheel clunk is easy. Pull that single 15mm bolt on the steering shaft (near cylinder #5), ease the intermediate steering shaft extension (the silver upper shaft near the firewall) out of the coupling and let the lower steering shaft flop down. Then work the intermediate shaft in and out repeatedly to redistribute the grease. The intermediate shaft is a sleeved collapsible coupling, meant to collapse in a major accident. Redistributing the grease will stick things back together and get rid of the clunk. No need to rotate that shaft while you do it.
There's several youtube videos out there about it and I literally just did it myself yesterday (see my 'Hey Vortec Guys' topic). Worked great for me.

XJLI

Adventurer
Yes, thanks! I've found a few threads on working the 'old steering shaft... lol

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Nice looking truck Xjli! Those rigs have a lot of potential and even though you dont want to go with a huge lift there are still lots of mods you can do to your rig. Members here at expo are a friendly bunch of guys that I am sure will help you with your questions. Congrats on your new truck and keep us posted with lots of pics. Cheers, Chilli...:)

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I have to do the grease of the shaft as well. Mine only clunks a little bit. Nice truck....Looks really clean. Doing a small key lift will give the space to run 285s and give it a nice look and usefulness.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
3.42 gears in a Z71? Seems like a strange option for Chevy to have offered. Mine has 3.73 and if I wanted to put anything bigger than 33's even that would probably be inadequate.

XJLI

Adventurer
3.42 gears in a Z71? Seems like a strange option for Chevy to have offered. Mine has 3.73 and if I wanted to put anything bigger than 33's even that would probably be inadequate.

Yea, I looked at two CCSB trucks (one Z71 and one not) and both had 3.42 gears as well. Seems like all the SUV Z71s got 3.73s while most of the non-HD trucks got the highway gear. Weird.

XJLI

Adventurer
295's, UCAs, shocks, and 4.10s

I'd never re-gear the factory rear end. If it ever goes that route, straight to 35s and a rear axle swap with a real locker and coilovers up front. No reason to putz around in the middle... Either KISS or go straight to stupid.

Yroundrdn

Observer
The dash light issue is common and an easy fix. I had the fuel gauge go out on mine. I found a guy somewhere off a forum and mailed the cluster to him. He fixed it and put in all new lights for under $100 with shipping.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
The dash light issue is common and an easy fix. I had the fuel gauge go out on mine. I found a guy somewhere off a forum and mailed the cluster to him. He fixed it and put in all new lights for under $100 with shipping.
Yes, such a common issue that there are multiple places that will fix it. I spent a bit more - $280 - but for that I got all new stepper motors, green LED backlighting, they repaired the dim PRND321 display (another common issue) and to top it off, they put a transmission temp gauge on it!

mccustomize

Explorer
Hey what's the bed length on the CCSB? Is it over 6'?

5'8" on the 1/2 tons, HD trucks get the 6'6" bed

I've been just fine with my 10 bolt on 37s, I swapped in a Tru-Trac and 4.88s, wheeled it for years, burnouts, donuts, all the stupid stuff, it never let me down

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior