06 Sprinter 140 HR to SM style Penthouse conversion (cross post from S-S forum)

Jb1rd

Explorer
OK disclaimer, I am not a fabricator nor do I know jack crap about what this will take but have the crazy notion of cutting the roof off my 06 140 HR and turn it into a SM style penthouse top. My rear doors are toast so was thinking I will get rear doors for a reg.roof sprinter so I have that area in the back to make reenforcing braces. I would like to use the existing roof skin but think I might have to make a fiberglass mold?????There is a guy in Colorado that does pop tops on other vans and SUV's so am going to email him to see if he has any interest. SM is out of the question they only work on 08 and newer low roofs. I do not want a Westy style popup, I want the fully raised variety. Lest you think I am BSC you would be correct but also know I got the van for CHEAP!!!!!!!! Any input (constructive) would be great, like I said I have NOOOOOOOOOOO idea if this is even possible but it sure seems like it:Wow1:

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
A company called Fiberine, in Wilmington, CA, makes this penthouse top for Sprinters that raises the roof 34". What you can't tell from the picture is whether this roof, shown on a low roof T1N, could also be put onto a high roof. The way it sits, there doesn't seem to be an obvious reason it couldn't work. A call to them would get an answer quickly, I would think.

sprinter top.jpg

http://www.fiberine.com/GVMR/Full_Size_Van_Tops.html#7

cwsqbm

Explorer
Since you're not an fabricator, this falls under the category of "if you have to ask..." Its not just the roof skin, but the structure underneath that's different between a low and high roof. You'd be far ahead time and money-wise selling your high roof and then buy a low roof. Or better yet, just keep the high roof.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz