06 Tundra DC: ABS and Engine Light Question

Kya

Adventurer
We swapped in a rear Diamond Axle (full float, disc brakes) but no longer have the tone rings. This triggered the ABS codes and engine light. Don’t care too much about the ABS but definitely want the engine light functional.

If I pull the ABS fuse and clear the engine light codes will the ECU work correctly to diagnose other codes as needed?

In the diagram pictured, do I pull both ABS fuses (ABS No.1 and ABS No. 2) to have ECU think system is functioning correctly. Would that even work?

My biggest concern is other issues will go undiagnosed with the computer “stuck” on the ABS code. Any other suggestions are welcome.
Thanks!
B4FCD455-71DD-4313-A361-F8497C8AC8F1.png
B751CBD7-E322-449A-90E9-A44CA4978A18.jpeg

Last edited:

bkg

Explorer
I don't know if this helps: I have 3.5" tubed, Diamond FF in my Tacoma. No tone ring. The ABS computer has also been removed. I yanked the light and have had no issues.

Kya

Adventurer
I don't know if this helps: I have 3.5" tubed, Diamond FF in my Tacoma. No tone ring. The ABS computer has also been removed. I yanked the light and have had no issues.

Sound like we have a very similar rear axle. That is helpful thank you. I’m going to dig into it today.

What did you do for your speedometer and odometer? I just went with a gps unit since installing it matched my level of skill (or lack there of), but I’ve always wondered if there was a way to get the stock speedometer/odometer working again without the tone rings. Anyway thanks for sharing your thoughts!

bkg

Explorer
Sound like we have a very similar rear axle. That is helpful thank you. I’m going to dig into it today.

What did you do for your speedometer and odometer? I just went with a gps unit since installing it matched my level of skill (or lack there of), but I’ve always wondered if there was a way to get the stock speedometer/odometer working again without the tone rings. Anyway thanks for sharing your thoughts!

speedometer on mine is driven off a speed sensor on the transfercase, so I haven't had to deal with the speedo at all.

Kya

Adventurer

speedometer on mine is driven off a speed sensor on the transfercase, so I haven't had to deal with the speedo at all.

You lucky! Looks like 06 is the year Toyota decided to make things difficult and change a few things on 1st gen Tundras. The instrument cluster is totally different and I could figure out how to access the bulbs from the back. And access to the ABS fuse in the engine bay fuse box doesn‘t match what I’ve seen videos of either.

Do you have any idea how to access the bulbs or the ABS fuse based on these pictures?
B4AB75A9-F4A4-43CF-9ABC-D6387FE256F3.jpeg

7E183F2E-511B-4809-A5C4-5E0D8DBF7B0F.jpeg

bkg

Explorer
looks like you're going to have to take the circuit board off to get to the bulbs?

That's all I got...

Kpack

Adventurer
Are you just worried about covering up the ABS light? My TPMS light constantly flashed and drove me crazy, and I have no desire to run with TPMS. I pulled the gauge cluster and put a small piece of electrical tape on the backside of the screen, only where that light was. Completely eliminated it and has never bugged me since. Looks totally normal from the outside, no light bleed.

-Kevin

Kya

Adventurer
Are you just worried about covering up the ABS light? My TPMS light constantly flashed and drove me crazy, and I have no desire to run with TPMS. I pulled the gauge cluster and put a small piece of electrical tape on the backside of the screen, only where that light was. Completely eliminated it and has never bugged me since. Looks totally normal from the outside, no light bleed.

-Kevin

Not so much worried about the light itself. The tape fix is my plan B for ABS light and TPMS (I agree with ya there).

Since the engine light is now always on, I'm mostly worried about the computer only reading the ABS code and other possible issues going undiagnosed. So I'd like take the ABS out of the equation so that the engine light functions properly. If any of that is logical.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior