'06 Xterra 4X4 OR 6spd

ccd8541

New guy on the block saying 'hello'

I am in the process of outfitting the 'X' as a (light) expedition vehicle. I'm not looking to do any heavy mods in the near futrue. I have no desire to do the serious rock or mud etc. I will not be 'out' for extened periods of time. Just want a nice ride that can get me into the back country and return with minimal headache.

Looking at day trips and maybe some short overnighters. A lot of time will be spent in the Tucson area. I might overnight a few of these.

A few times a year I will head out for a 10-14 day 'tour' of a new area. These trips will involve a return to a hotel and camping out will not be needed. For example: I did a 10 days spin through Colorado, this in a awd rental and I did not get off road as I would of liked. In Sept. I will do 14 days in Utah:victory: and will be looking to do a lot of the mild trails. Get off the beaten path a little etc.

Items on hand:

• The only aftermarket mod I have ordered is Shrock sliders, they should be here in a week or two.
  • Navigation is covered with a Garmin 350 I had already on hand. Picked up a Garmin 60cx and National Geographic State Topo to pick up the slack off road. I will keep a map and compass handy in case 'murphy' pays a visit.
  • Recovery gear is a little light with only a Hi-Lift, recovery bag of goodies and 30' ft of strap on hand at the moment. I will take the time to learn how it all functions, before I need to dig myself out of a rut.
  • Is a pull pal a worthy investment?
  • Comm is just a cell phone.
  • I have a decent stock of survival/medical gear and a fair working knowledge on its use.

On the short list of things to do/get before Utah:

• New tires in the stock size 265/75/16's. The Yokohamas are looking good from the some of the reading I've done and the price is hard to beat.
  • Some type of air, probably one of the mid range portable units. Q89, big brother of the MV50 I think.
  • Might spring early for one of the heavy batteries from Optima. Yellow or Red? I will not have much in the way of xtra battery drain....Might pick up one of the little 'friges though!
  • Packing and how to strap everything down is being worked through.

I'm learning as I go and appreciate all that I've picked up on this forum and others. Any suggestions/feedback is appreciated!

Chad

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
ccd8541 said:
New guy on the block saying 'hello'

Welcome to ExPo :smiley_drive:

The Xterra is one of the few modern expedition solutions, so you have a fantastic platform to start from.

ccd8541 said:
Items on hand:

• The only aftermarket mod I have ordered is Shrock sliders, they should be here in a week or two.
  • Navigation is covered with a Garmin 350 I had already on hand. Picked up a Garmin 60cx and National Geographic State Topo to pick up the slack off road. I will keep a map and compass handy in case 'murphy' pays a visit.
  • Recovery gear is a little light with only a Hi-Lift, recovery bag of goodies and 30' ft of strap on hand at the moment. I will take the time to learn how it all functions, before I need to dig myself out of a rut.
  • Is a pull pal a worthy investment?
  • Comm is just a cell phone.
  • I have a decent stock of survival/medical gear and a fair working knowledge on its use.

On the short list of things to do/get before Utah:

• New tires in the stock size 265/75/15's. The Yokohamas are looking good from the some of the reading I've done and the price is hard to beat.
  • Some type of air, probably one of the mid range portable units. Q89, big brother of the MV50 I think.
  • Might spring early for one of the heavy batteries from Optima. Yellow or Red? I will not have much in the way of xtra battery drain....Might pick up one of the little 'friges though!
  • Packing and how to strap everything down is being worked through.

Sliders are a wise investment even beyond the trail benefit. Jacking and roof access are great advantages.

The pull-pall is more of an advantage with a winch. As you are intending to self-recover with a Hi-lift, just lift the vehicle and fill the holes or place traction mats.

I think you approach of minimal modification is wise. Use the money to buy fuel and explore.

A few thoughts:

1. Keep the stock tires. They are LT and of good quality
2. Consider the fridge. They really are sweet
3. Consider adding a CB
4. Water storage (how to store in the vehicle and still be able to carry it if you need to hike out)

I look forward to hearing more of your adventures and watching the X mods.

ccd8541

expeditionswest said:
A few thoughts:

2. Consider the fridge. They really are sweet
3. Consider adding a CB
4. Water storage (how to store in the vehicle and still be able to carry it if you need to hike out)

I look forward to hearing more of your adventures and watching the X mods.

• Water issues will get squared away.
  • CB sounds like smart money
  • Fridge is just too cool not to get!

I will check in the morning but I believe mine has the P265/75R16 Rugged Trail T/A(?) Not an LT?

Reading all the tire stuff on the other forums and trying to sort through it has me going :confused:

I'm happy keeping them if they should work for light/moderate trails. Get the fridge that much sooner:luxhello:

Chad

Scott Brady

Founder
Hmmm. P Rated would not be ideal. Let us know what it has (I am curious).

And what are your impressions to date on the Xterra?

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
expeditionswest said:
Welcome to ExPo :smiley_drive:

Welcome to the party! Xterras are sweet trucks. I'm sure you know about 4x4parts.com, but if not check them out. Mike is an excellent resource.

I have to disagree with Scott about the tires, my limited experience with them is they suck, both on and off road, and are prone to flats. If the truck is brand new, see if a local tire shop will trade them toward a new set of something else and give you a reasonable price for them. If not, make sure your spare is properly inflated and that you know how to access it (i.e. practice i nthe driveway, you don't want to find out the mechanism is jammed or faulty in the middle of nowhere), and then plan to replace the tires if one of them dies an early death. At that point you can take the spare and remaining three tires and sell them on Craigslist.

Take care of the X and you may be enjoying it for a long time. I have a Pathfinder that has a couple miles on it and it looks like it will be spending the remainer of its life as my dad's off-road fun truck since I needed something bigger.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Welcome to ExPo :beer:

If you have Long trails, I would also think replacement would be wise. If you decide to get a fridge, be sure to get a "real" fridge, and not a thermo-electric unit. And if you get a fridge, be sure to address the power consumption needs so you are not left stranded with a dead battery. It sounds like with your rare campsite venues that you might be able to get away with only one battery, but I would do some testing at home before you risk a day hike in Tucson with the fridge running at the trailhead.

I agree with Scott on the pullpal. Again, I would suggest some controlled environment testing/practice with using your highlift for jacking and recovery (bring a friend and their vehicle).

I am formerly a long time Old Puebloan myself :friday:

We look forward to your progress and a trip report from UT.

bigreen505 said:
I have a Pathfinder that has a couple miles on it ...

Now that's an understatement.

ccd8541

expeditionswest said:
Hmmm. P Rated would not be ideal. Let us know what it has (I am curious).

Sidewall has: P265/75R16 114 T M+S DT. I'm not sure what the "114 T" and "DT" are for. I was just going off the "P226" and figuring I would need an "LT".

Any suggestions?

While it is a daily driver, I might actually get it off road well more than the average person. I'm just leaning towards more moderate trails for the immediate future. In my mind I was thinking an AT or a moderate MT, if there is such a thing.

And what are your impressions to date on the Xterra?

Of course I'm biased and only have owned it 2 weeks w/ 1,700 miles. No off road time. Playing it safe a waiting on the sliders.

I feel it will be a great vehicle. I like the power. It is very comfortable and has plenty of room. RF sound system is very nice! It is an option I did not want but am glad it came with it, now that I have played it.

The rear has many options for configuration and storage, fold down seats, removable if needed, fold flat front etc. Plenty of tie down options.

Roof rack and bin will come in handy for the recovery gear. I have read to not put much weight on top.

I hear the skid plate package is considered a bit light for hard off road use but I think it will be fine for me(for now). I will just keep a eye on things.

I'm disapointed it came with the tire it did. A bit more research and I may have gone in arguing for a better tire. Not sure if it would of done any good.

I did a round trip into Phoenix a few days ago to pick up the Hi-Lift and test mpg. I got just under 23mpg at a cruise of 65mph. Can't argue with that! I might do the same route at 75 and see where it is. I'm assuming a tire swap might knock this down a bit.

I have a roof net for the interior is on the way. Very interested to see how that works for storing lighter items.

My last 4X4 was a 2002 4 door Frontier and a diesel. I owned it for about three years, living in Costa Rica, and thought it a great product. Figured I would stay with a Nissan but give the 'X' a try.

All in all I think Xterra will be a great platform for me to work minor mods/upgrades on.

Chad

Last edited:

ccd8541

BajaTaco said:
Welcome to ExPo :beer:

If you have Long trails, I would also think replacement would be wise. If you decide to get a fridge, be sure to get a "real" fridge, and not a thermo-electric unit. And if you get a fridge, be sure to address the power consumption needs so you are not left stranded with a dead battery. It sounds like with your rare campsite venues that you might be able to get away with only one battery, but I would do some testing at home before you risk a day hike in Tucson with the fridge running at the trailhead.

I agree with Scott on the pullpal. Again, I would suggest some controlled environment testing/practice with using your highlift for jacking and recovery (bring a friend and their vehicle).

I am formerly a long time Old Puebloan myself :friday:

We look forward to your progress and a trip report from UT.

Thanks for the input BajaTaco!

I was leaning towards the Engel 35 and going with a Optima yellow top. Think this might work?

As you suggest, I will work and test all new systems and gear prior to getting my ****** in a crack.

Chad

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
Chad,

The Yokohama Geolander ATII and the Nitto Terra Grappler are both great values for an AT type tire. Some sort of quick air source so you can air down.

I'd love to see some pics when you get the sliders and tires mounted.

Scott Brady

Founder
bigreen505 said:
I have to disagree with Scott about the tires, my limited experience with them is they suck, both on and off road, and are prone to flats.

If they are P rated tires, then replacing them would be wise. If they are LT, and he only wants to do exploration trips and lots of highway miles then keep them. IMHO the money can be better spent elsewhere, like improving the camping comforts for his family. If they dont enjoy the adventure, then daddy wont :)

ccd8541

bigreen505 said:
Welcome to the party! Xterras are sweet trucks. I'm sure you know about 4x4parts.com, but if not check them out. Mike is an excellent resource.

Thanks for the welcome!

He does have a good site. Little short on stuff for the '06 line but I'm sure that will improve as vendors catch up.

Valid points on droping the spare etc.. I will give it a go today

Chad

Scott Brady

Founder
ccd8541 said:
Sidewall has: P226/75R15 114 T M+S DT. I'm not sure what the "114 T" and "DT" are for. I was just going off the "P226" and figuring I would need an "LT".

Thanks. With the tire being P (passenger) rated, I would recommend an upgrade to an LT.

A question on the size:

1. I have not seen a 226/75 before and that size is not listed for the long trail.
2. I dont think the 06' Xterra's have 15" rims (R15)

would you mind double checking? It will allow up to do a better job recommending a replacement.

Thanks for the great feedback on the X! What a fun truck.

ccd8541

calamaridog said:
Chad,

The Yokohama Geolander ATII and the Nitto Terra Grappler are both great values for an AT type tire. Some sort of quick air source so you can air down.

I'd love to see some pics when you get the sliders and tires mounted.

Thanks for the input. An air source is on the list. I'm leaning towards the q89.

I did pick up a $10.00 tire repair kit that should work for any flats. Not much good without an air source!

Chad

ccd8541

expeditionswest said:
Thanks. With the tire being P (passenger) rated, I would recommend an upgrade to an LT.

A question on the size:

1. I have not seen a 226/75 before and that size is not listed for the long trail.
2. I dont think the 06' Xterra's have 15" rims (R15)

would you mind double checking? It will allow up to do a better job recommending a replacement.

Thanks for the great feedback on the X! What a fun truck.

My error...sorry Scott. It is a 265 not a 226....ugh and its 16 not a 15!

Might help myself if I give the correct info eh?

Last edited:

ccd8541

expeditionswest said:
... like improving the camping comforts for his family. If they dont enjoy the adventure, then daddy wont :)

Daddy:yikes:
No family per say on any of the trips. A dear friend whom is elderly will be on the longer runs of 10-14 days and that will be the reason for an overnight in a hotel vs camping(fine by me!).

On my own I might do a night or two out. I just don't see my self doing any extended outings in the near future.

Chad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz