08' Chevy Express AWD Build

SlingShot1

Hello Errbody.
I acquired my van in the spring of 17', After months of looking and debating. I knew I wanted more than 2WD but also knew that full 4WD would be out of my price range. I then learned about these express AWD's, A little research and I was sold. The research I did lead me to this forum. I am very grateful to everyone who has contributed their knowledge and experience on these vans.

Almost every mod I did to this van came from info found here on this forum. Here are the results so far...
VanPilchuck (4).jpg

I tried to document everything as best I could, I hope this helps others as much as it has helped me (I'll try to keep it organized).

Last edited:

SlingShot1

The first order of business, Build a storage box/bed platform. Still not knowing if I was going to do a full interior build out or not I went the easy way to start. Leaving most the interior in tact and keeping the first row of seats for now, I opted for a removable drawer system.

Storage Box (3).jpgStorage Box (4).jpgStorage Box (5).jpgStorage Box (8).jpgStorage Box (9).jpgStorage Box (11).jpgStorage Box (14).jpgStorage Box (15).jpg

Attachments

• Storage Box (1).jpg
    Storage Box (1).jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

SlingShot1

Step #2 - Leveling kit, Rear springs & Shocks

I followed suit with the torsion keys, I found the Traxda 404045 kit on Amazon for About $80, It had started at $230 but over the course of 2 weeks the price started to fall. I had planed finding some use keys but when the price dropped I snagged a set up. I decided on Bilstein shocks, 24-186643 for the fronts @ $74ea & 24-221948 for the rears @ $61ea all via amazon.
I also ordered up a set of rear springs from General spring, (#22-907 - 1992 - 1999 Chevy Suburban rear leaf springs, 2900 lbs capacity, 6(5/1) leaves) @ $405 shipped to my front door.
I ended up with over 3 1/2 inches of lift, I brought it down to just under 3" and may lower another 1/4 once I fit new wheels in. The ride at +3 1/2" was a bit rough, lowing it a 1/2" made a big difference, and I am happy with how it drives now. Although I do have my eyes set on some fox shocks in the future.
Lift Kit Install (1).jpgLift Kit Install (2).jpgLift Kit Install (3).jpgLift Kit Install (4).jpgLift Kit Install (5).jpgLift Kit Install (6).jpgLift Kit Install (7).jpgLift Kit Install (11).jpg

Last edited:

SlingShot1

Step # 3 - Brakes
I chose the Power Stop K2016-36 Z36 Truck & Tow Front and Rear Brake Kit. I installed the new brakes the same time I did the leveling kit & while I still had access to a lift. I failed to get any pictures of the new brakes while it was on the rack.
Amazon again @ $315
Brakes (1).jpgBrakes (2).jpg

SlingShot1

Step #4 - Passenger side swivel base & new seats.
The most challenging part yet. :) It took 3 different attempts to get this right. I ordered up a swivel base from shop4seats, and it was clearly the wrong base and needed to be returned/exchanged. S4S was useless, 3 weeks of constant emails and phone calls to get this returned and a refund. I then ordered the same part number base from DiscountVanTruck. Almost the same base arrived, again it was wrong. The bolts did line up but there was zero offset so the passenger door could never close and latch. I then talked with a man at DiscountVanTruck about it. He was excellent in his knowledge and promptly set me up with the correct swivel base. (Apparently they get miss labeled in the warehouse.)
I also order a pair of seats from Ebay. The original seats were vinyl and previous driver must have been a big guy. I found a cloth pair from a 2018 express for cheap and shipped free. About $180 total and gave off that new car smell.

3rd base success.
Now remove 1 3/4" from pedestal so passenger seat is back to original height.

Swivel Seat #1 Fail (1).jpgSwivel Seat #1 Fail (6).jpgSwivel Seat #2 Fail (2).jpgSwivel Seat #2 Fail (3).jpgPassenger Pedestal & Swivel (1).jpgPassenger Pedestal & Swivel (2).jpgPassenger Pedestal & Swivel (6).jpgPassenger Pedestal & Swivel (7).jpgPassenger Pedestal & Swivel (8).jpg

Last edited:

SlingShot1

Step #5 - Spare tire rack
Knowing I would be going with a larger tire & wheel setup I opted for the Aluminess rear tire rack. I did need to trim my brake light a bit but otherwise a easy install.Tire Rack (9).jpgTire Rack (12).jpgTire Rack (13).jpgTire Rack (16).jpg

SlingShot1

Step #6 - Electronics (Stereo, Light bar and Musical Horn)

I removed the factory radio and replaced it with a Clarion CX505 HD radio head unit. I wanted something less flashy plus Im a sucker for a volume knob vs buttons. I also replaced the front door speakers with Rockford Fosgate Punch 6 1/2" drivers and added waterproof baffles, (This greatly improves mid bass response). I also swapped the rear 3x5 speakers with Punch as well and A Rockford Fosgate P300-10 Sub with remote knob.

I also wanted a light bar, but wanted it behind the grill. So a trip to Lowes for some angle bar...
Light Bar & Horn Speaker (1).jpgLight Bar & Horn Speaker (3).jpgLight Bar & Horn Speaker (8).jpgLight Bar & Horn Speaker (9).jpgLight Bar & Horn Speaker (11).jpg
I had a headlight go out the same week so I replaced/upgraded to some Auxbeams. I should have done this first, Everyone should upgrade from the factory headlights.

While I had the grill off I installed a 100w speaker (124db siren) behind the bumper.
Light Bar & Horn Speaker (4).jpg

When I was a kid, my uncles had musical horns on their hot rods, La Cucarach, Dixieland & the cavalrycharge to name a few. I remember how cool it was and also how bad it sounded. I knew I could do better. Adafruit makes a great 11 trigger audio board that allows you to play basically any sound file you like and also allowed for some randomness. Each trigger can initiate one sound file or randomly pick 1 out of a select group. For example, I wanted a backup alert but wanted to be operated via button vs backup lights (I don't always want a backup alarm) So, one of the triggers randomly plays one of 3 backup tunes. (Conventional beep, A louder faster beep and then full red alert from Star Trek). I also ordered up some basic push buttons some momentary, some latching.

Horn (1).jpg
The output is feed to a 100w mono amp (Nobsound NS-03G FR, 100w full frequency mono mini amp) With off switch/volume control.
Here is a you tube video going into more details.
<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I am currently running 5 buttons-
Red = Big Rig Horn, Fog Horn & Train Horn
Yellow = Backup Alert, Really Backing Up Alert, & Red Alert Alarm
Green = R2D2 ( 8 random R2D2 quotes, Push and hold lets R2 talk for days, :)
White = Photon gun, turret moving, Cannon
Blue latching = one of 5 Ice cream truck themes (I trail angle for backpackers and volenteer a few places, this lets them know I'm near)
Blue momentary = Bad boys theme - Cops (I have received many thumbs up for this)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94