1/2 Ton vs 3/4 Ton for Family Adventures?

TexasSixSeven

Observer
Yep, or spend 20 mins looking for the closest spot when it would take 2 mins to walk across the parking lot.
I see morons in the gym all the time using the elevator to gain access to the weight room then head right back down and go hit cardio immediately after. That and going to the weight room but leaving the weights on the bar when they’re done when their entire purpose for being in the weight room is to move weight.

TexasSixSeven

Observer
Contractor buddy replaced his Dodge diesel with a 6ft bed Tremor when the 7.3 just came out. He loves it just added two more 7.3 utility trucks to his contractor business for his guys. This is CA. He runs 35k a yr mileage. I Just saw him last week. Asked if he still liked the truck. Yup said its been flawless, crazy easy to maintain and does everything his old dodge did but for less$ and way quicker 😆
I sold my equipment a couple years ago, so I no longer needed the 1 ton diesel. The 7.3 250 was a perfect fit for my needs these days. I’ve still got a 26’ flatbed gooseneck I use to haul the toys north once or twice a year, pull a 30’ camper on occasion, and make use of the payload a couple times a week. However my gooseneck loaded down with toys is right at 8500 lbs, which is easily within the 7.3 territory. I may have to plan my passing a little more cautiously, but that’s about the only downside I’ve seen with it so far. With a hot tuned 6.7 and that load and 2-3 cars piled up behind some Sunday driver going 15 under wasn’t even a thought.

TexasSixSeven

Observer
I really like the 7.3 godzilla engine from ford. Basically, I don't envision us towing super frequently plus living in a city, it would take a substantial amount of time for the extra cost of the 6.7 diesel to be worth it. Plus in california, diesel is super expensive right now. The primary goal of the truck would be to get off the beaten path as much as possible, thinking trips to baja, blm camping etc. With that in mind an f-250/f-350 tremor is probably the sweet spot. F-150 will get better gas mileage, be more comfortable since its not a solid axle but will also be limited by its payload so it would rule out a slide in camper which may or may not be in the cards.
I’d go 350. I’ve got a bed camper on order right now, and I do wish I’d have gone 350. Payload will be fine with it, but an extra 1300 lbs would be nice. I’ve got 2790 as it is, and an identically optioned Tremor 350 would have exactly 1300 lbs more payload. 10K GVWR vs 11,300 GVWR on the 7.3 350 Tremor. 250 and 350 Tremors are built identically down to axles, springs, leaf springs, etc. The only difference is a diesel tremor will have different gears and coil springs than a gas tremor. However 250 or 350 doesn’t play into that whatsoever.

givemethewillys

Jonathan Chouinard
I have a super crew 6.5 bed as well and can 2nd the turning radius...
As the song goes:

"Give me forty acres and I'll turn this rig around
It's the easiest way that I've found"

I do this as well. The wife mocks me for it....

View attachment 788901

But the added benefits are a little more exercise and hopefully fewer door dings.
I do the exact same thing, and it regularly drives my wife nuts. Then every now and then, I'll back into one of those "close" spots, where you have to duck under the tow mirrors to get past, just to make a point. Dont even have to say anything; she understands for a little while longer after that.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
If buying new I'd go 350 as well. I settled for a 250 this time around because the truck was there, discounted and optioned 98% of the way I would have ordered it. I have over 3000# of payload on mine so it'll be fine for anything I ever do with it, but I would have been even happier with a payload pushing 4K. A one-ton is definitely more expensive to insure here in Texas, I've had them both so I have seen it first hand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles