'10 Tundra CrewMax

zidaro

Explorer
Thanks for the great build thread and the link to purchase the airbag brackets. I just purchased the same brackets, but I'm trying to determine the best way to remove the rivets and install the brackets - did you use a reciprocating saw, grinder, etc. to cut them off or did you drill out the rivets (or some combination of both)?

Thanks again!

Edit - nevermind - i attacked the rivet heads with a plasma torch, then ground them flat, then drove out the remaining rivet with a 1/2" x 8" center punch.

i have a plasma, but my soln. was just to use a grinder. Went quick.

and- glad to help, hope they work well for you.

Last edited:

Rubicon85

Observer
Awesome Tundra!! Very well put together and has I think successfully swayed my vote from a 2500 ram back to a Toyota, I have an 03 V8 4runner that I love but want a Tundra:) BTW I have the exact same 87 4runner, red with gold stripes and chrome fender trim still as well myself. Your doing the same build as Id like to do one of these days to that thing as well. Nothing like old toyotas! Great setup all around and thank you for the write-ups and pictures!
Alex

zidaro

Explorer
Awesome Tundra!! Very well put together and has I think successfully swayed my vote from a 2500 ram back to a Toyota, I have an 03 V8 4runner that I love but want a Tundra:) BTW I have the exact same 87 4runner, red with gold stripes and chrome fender trim still as well myself. Your doing the same build as Id like to do one of these days to that thing as well. Nothing like old toyotas! Great setup all around and thank you for the write-ups and pictures!
Alex

Nice! Love the Tundra, great truck. I do wish it was a 2500 though, make sure it fits your application.
The First gen. Runners rule, cool that you have the same rig. Keeping it stock? Mine was cherry when i got it, not any more. Id love for someone to come over and finish up my project so i could get back out on the trail with it, thats where it shines- not in my garage.

Rubicon85

Observer
Taken way too long to reply...my 87 4runner is stock for now but would love to build it like yours:) Got to upgrade to family machine first probably to a Tundra, Im so torn on tundra vs. a Ram 2500 gasser but SO hard to pass on the toyota reliability as you know. I keep looking to yours as an inspiration and I think it will work fine foe us for a long time, our big load to tow would probably be a full truck plus the 87 runner. Your seems to handle that fine right? Ill be drooling over your build till then!
Take care,
Alex

zidaro

Explorer
oh yeah!!!

0F8B3A46-2867-4D12-90AE-9E6E8850B708_zpsiabdiof4.jpg
[/URL]

rruff

Explorer
How many gallons?

Since you are still here I'd like to ask you about the Slam Specialties bags you used at one point. They are the only ones I've found that have decent travel, and you are the only one I know who has used them offroad! How did they work out?

jCubed

Adventurer
Does anyone have the Transfer Flow that wheels it pretty hard? I would love to add the 20 gallons but I've scraped the bottom of the frame a couple of times and makes me really nervous.

Zidaro, it looks like you do some good off roading, thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

zidaro

Explorer
Transferflow 46 gal. direct replacement tank.

Early xmas gift from the BEST Wife ever! Transfer flow was having a Black Friday free ship weekend, so we jumped on it.
Its been a mod on my list since the beginning, but its a big dollar item and was hard to swallow. That said, its one of the silly things thatALWAYS is on my mind EVERYtime we travel anywhere- How far till the next fillup. Damn Toyota for giving their flagship Truck such a short travel distance before a required fill. 26gal. does not go far in 4x4 with a camper and all your toys in the bed. simple math at 10mpg.
Enter Transferflow to the rescue. Now worst case scenario i have 400mi gaps. Makes Baja and the Central Cali/Northern Nevada deserts much less stressful.

No writups on the install. It went easily. I went up to Carson City (where i had the tank delivered) and did the swap in a clean dry bay at Dr. Smash Fab. Eric is an awesome dude and does some great fab and repair work if your ever in need in the Carson City region. HE and I busted the swap out in 4 hours, slightly delayed by all the snow and freezing rain that we dealt with as it was packed into all convenient crevasses on my rig. drip drip so annoying.

First- Transferflow built an amazing work of art, and included everything for a simple swap. Do not worry.
I purchased the added protection of the bedliner coating. Its gorgeous and burly with a smooth textured surface. Think Rhino liner thickness and quality. I think it will add protection from salt and gravel well. And may help in protecting the tank if it were to get slammed on a rock. Hopefully it is not a magnet for ice and debris to stick to, time will tell.

Pulling the OEM tank was simple, aside from disconnecting some of the fuel lines that had red, white, yellow, brown, fine, course, impacted dirt from our prior travels. The connector locks are difficult enough to figure out when clean, but glue them tight with sediment and you've got good times between your fingers. All came out fine, no broken clips.

Swapped over all the lines and fuel pump without issue.
orientation for reference-
963642DC-1E5A-4282-BA60-F3D7617928AB_zpskotfjqhv.jpg

tank install went smooth. I have a lifted truck, that helped. we used a trans jack which was much better than laying it on my belly by myself like i normally do ;) Hardest part was reattaching the fill hose to the top of the tank. You will be wedging yourself up into under the bed between your exhaust and driveshaft to pull it off, start starving yourself now. Unless your arms are 6' long and bend in more places than mine.
Tank straps were tight around the tank due to the liner. It required a bottle jack at the strap to push the tank/strap tight enough for the strap bolts to reach, easy enough.

Only real issue was the Streettaco Center carrier-bearing Driveshaft drop bracket that i added. It def. need to be clearanced/trimmed ~1/4" in one area for the front strap to not contact it. My approach was to strap the tank in its place, remove the driveshaft at the center carrier, tighten the tank into home, fit up and then trim drop bracket where needed to clear (this is a non-moving part so high clearances not required) so parts not contacting, reattach drop bracket and driveshaft carrier. Done.

Refilled the 5gal. (gauge reading zero mi left) out of OEM tank into Transferflow. Still reading zero :)

don't forget to reconnect fuel pump ;) start truck. Done

plenty of clearance at axle
51D83D16-A126-49E8-8C95-3BEBBB306B86_zpsmwnv2jqt.jpg

big n beautiful

B0E2C16B-2A1A-4466-8E6A-8175D59BD99E_zpszmdxmcrg.jpg

i feel there is more than enough area between the tank and crossover exhaust. no need for a guard

F0541248-B378-419A-82DF-89EE86642787_zpsgg3g01uv.jpg

towards the front of the tank (middle of doors) tank only sits 1" bellow frame, as it moves rearward the frame bends up and more tank is exposed.

0E14E989-DEC4-43E0-A507-BC7575EB890C_zpsc4jrse3i.jpg

Fuel gauge.
Only one fill so far. It took 45.5gal. :Wow1: Guess i was getting low by the time i filled. Distance est. on gauge was 446mi. at full fill.
so far i have driven 150mi. only
the gauge started reading down from beyond full after 30 mi to the full line. then by 110mi. i was at 3/4tank on the gauge. Massive headwind with my camper on, so i was probably at 10mpg or less. Seems like i am getting accurate readings so far. Does not correlate with other reports. Ill keep you updated.

zidaro

Explorer
679B67E0-F9C2-4072-9527-82425B4CAB19_zps0bz4fs7c.jpg
[/URL]

Better if of clearance. Can see how it's less than a inch below at front of tank , then angles to about 3" lower at rear. Though the leaf spring and driveshaft are both much lower than the tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94