1017a camper/tiny house buIld

This is awesome! What batteries are those under your inverter? How is the camper attached to the bed. I couldnt tell, is it actually built up from the bed itself when you replaced it? I would have been afraid to use standard windows, but this goes to show, that maybe sometimes we over complicate our builds. This is awesome.
I'm glad you like it!
The batteries are Odyssey PC1800, it's about 450ah right now, will be higher when I connect the 24v system to it! I tore the bed down to the bare frame and built up from there, the mounting system is similar to the unimogs. The only benefit of a custom frame would have been only about 4in for my overall height. As far as windows go, I actually used school bus windows, and a standard one for the rear(I half expect to replace this later on with nice Expo grade ones)

Sent from my 0PM92 using Tapatalk

Umtaneum

Adventurer
What did you decide on for a cooking stove? I lived aboard a sailboat for 3 years with an Origo fibre mat stove. It never failed me, but it smelled bad when cooking and the heat was not hot enough for some big pots of water and the like. I sailed on a big ketch out of Anacortes for a year, that had a Dickinson diesel stove. That thing was awesome in the PNW 9 months out of the year, and unusable in the Summer due to roasting you out of the cabin. It also had a water tank mounted on the flue, which at the time was the best hot water system I'd ever got to use on a boat. In the Summer we cooked on deck on a little propane Coleman. My dad and I have installed Wallas diesel stoves on the current two boats. They do take a while to get hot, but I think they are the best of both worlds. If you just cook on them, they don't heat the cabin up beyond bearing. They vent all of the exhaust outside. If you fire them up with the lid down and give them a half hour or so, they put out loads of clean, non-smelly, dry heat. Also, they run even better on kerosene than they do on diesel. Current camper has one of those Euro-style glass top propane cookstoves. I almost never use it, do nearly all of the cooking outside on a Partner propane stove. Nothing wrong with the inside stove, I just prefer to keep the steam and odors out of my bunk whenever possible. I kind of wish I'd went with the Wallas in the camper as well. I might change it out, once a little more of the "new" has worn off of the Phoenix.

Nice build, I hope you have a lot of fun with it.

What did you decide on for a cooking stove? I lived aboard a sailboat for 3 years with an Origo fibre mat stove. It never failed me, but it smelled bad when cooking and the heat was not hot enough for some big pots of water and the like. I sailed on a big ketch out of Anacortes for a year, that had a Dickinson diesel stove. That thing was awesome in the PNW 9 months out of the year, and unusable in the Summer due to roasting you out of the cabin. It also had a water tank mounted on the flue, which at the time was the best hot water system I'd ever got to use on a boat. In the Summer we cooked on deck on a little propane Coleman. My dad and I have installed Wallas diesel stoves on the current two boats. They do take a while to get hot, but I think they are the best of both worlds. If you just cook on them, they don't heat the cabin up beyond bearing. They vent all of the exhaust outside. If you fire them up with the lid down and give them a half hour or so, they put out loads of clean, non-smelly, dry heat. Also, they run even better on kerosene than they do on diesel. Current camper has one of those Euro-style glass top propane cookstoves. I almost never use it, do nearly all of the cooking outside on a Partner propane stove. Nothing wrong with the inside stove, I just prefer to keep the steam and odors out of my bunk whenever possible. I kind of wish I'd went with the Wallas in the camper as well. I might change it out, once a little more of the "new" has worn off of the Phoenix.

Nice build, I hope you have a lot of fun with it.
We just have a little camping propane stove for now. But an origo 6000 is in our future. The high price tag has just set us back a little bit on the purchase.

Sent from my LG-K450 using Tapatalk

Update: we are going on our first real trip in the camper. Going to spend a month out in the PNW, we are still undecided on the paint color on the exterior, so we just put a protective coat on it for now. We have been too impatient to wait until the interior is finished. I will get the chance to make sure everything holds up well off-road.

d4883ff0e8b17093a5ef0bf18cb2b2b1.jpg
spent some time up in the mtns, and i quickly realized i need a heater in here!

Ok i am finally adding my hot water system. An espar heater and a 10 gal water heater with heat exchanger. I am not the best plumber, and feel like i am missing something. Can anyone verify of this layout will work, or if it needs/ doesnt need anythingwater system plan.jpg

Dark green is hot coolant
Light green is cool coolant

Joe917

Explorer
Your diagram is hard to read at that size.
You need to add a shut off valve on the engine coolant loop. The valve will be left open at all times except when parked in cold weather, this prevents the espar from wasting heat through the block and radiator.
Shut off valves would be a good idea to isolate each component of the system.
The check valve may not be needed as the water heater may have one built in.
I would also add water filtration after the pump.

Last edited:
Your diagram is hard to read at that size.
You need to add a shut off valve on the engine coolant loop. The valve will be left open at all times except when parked in cold weather, this prevents the espar from wasting heat through the block and radiator.
Shut off valves would be a good idea to isolate each component of the system.
The check valve may not be needed as the water heater may have one built in.
I would also add water filtration after the pump.
Ok thanks for the hint on the shutoff valves. I had a feeling i was missing something obvious

So it has been a long time since an update. Progress has been slow, but i have finished the water system. 100 gal water tank, 10 gal hot water heater, and 40 gal grey water setup. Everything except the grey water tank is located underneath the bed. Pictures didnt really turn out, as it is dark and cramped under there. I recently have started working on the kitchen, i made some nice progress with a heavy duty fridge slide underneath the counter, a spot for the trash can, and i will be adding more shelves and drawers shortly, as well as a sink above the trash can.

Attachments

• 20161110_145946_Film2.jpg
    20161110_145946_Film2.jpg
    514 KB · Views: 70
  • 20161114_152226_Film2.jpg
    20161114_152226_Film2.jpg
    522.2 KB · Views: 64
  • 20161114_152303_Film2.jpg
    20161114_152303_Film2.jpg
    515.6 KB · Views: 58

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
You need to be careful that the air vents on the fridge are not obstructed - a small amount of blockage can result in much higher energy consumption.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior